Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Bad Design Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default door won't close/window frozen issue

Originally Posted by Wießes Quattro
Obviously i know that a plastic ice scraper won't scratch, i was refering to me using the metal part of my key to scrape along the seam where the window retreats into the door because thats where the problem was and it had to be something small in order to get the ice loose.
I had the same problem this morning. Just to confirm, the problem is the rubber trim along the bottom of the window that is stuck to the glass? It's not some sort of internal mechanism that is causing the problem?

I've not yet tried to run something down betweent he glass and rubber trim, but while the door opened, the glass would not go down to allow the door to close. Even putting downward pressur on the glass, while trying to roll the window down, the window would not budge - it seems like there is more than some rubber trim sticking at issue???

Can anyone confirm that as soon as the seal between the rubber trim and the window is broken, the window operates properly??

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcqueen
I had the same problem this morning. Just to confirm, the problem is the rubber trim along the bottom of the window that is stuck to the glass? It's not some sort of internal mechanism that is causing the problem?

I've not yet tried to run something down betweent he glass and rubber trim, but while the door opened, the glass would not go down to allow the door to close. Even putting downward pressur on the glass, while trying to roll the window down, the window would not budge - it seems like there is more than some rubber trim sticking at issue???

Can anyone confirm that as soon as the seal between the rubber trim and the window is broken, the window operates properly??

Thanks.
I've had to use this technique a few times in the last week and it seems to work (although this morning I had to run my card through the window/seal gap twice to get the window to move).

I hope there is an actual fix for this - can't see doing this all winter long! I wonder if there's any long term damage to the rubber seal having to do this?

BTW, my friend has an old WRX with frameless windows and he's never had this problem.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

its not just this car, my previous TSX has that same problem even with FRAME around window. As long as you park outside and in under freezing temperature, like minus 10 or more + some rain/snow. You will get your windows stuck.

The best we can do is warm up the car, scrap as much of the ice away as possible and spray windshield fluid (i have a bottle) around the frame and hope that by the time you are at the office and you need to pull down the window to scan your parking card to get it, the ice is gone. Or else you will have to open the door.....i had to do that a few times with my TSX...hope i dont' have to do it as much with the a5 since the door is longer!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by a5dude
its not just this car, my previous TSX has that same problem even with FRAME around window. As long as you park outside and in under freezing temperature, like minus 10 or more + some rain/snow. You will get your windows stuck.

The best we can do is warm up the car, scrap as much of the ice away as possible and spray windshield fluid (i have a bottle) around the frame and hope that by the time you are at the office and you need to pull down the window to scan your parking card to get it, the ice is gone. Or else you will have to open the door.....i had to do that a few times with my TSX...hope i dont' have to do it as much with the a5 since the door is longer!

The problem I have isn't that I can't open the window at some point after driving, its that I can't close the door at all in the cold once its been open. So some solution (like the card, a spray, etc.), is required immediately so that the door can be shut. Last night was completely dry and the low was around 26. It was 32 when I got to the car at 7:45am, and the windows were very much stuck.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is the bottom seal freezing. the problem i'm having is shutting the door also. The bottle of wiper fluid sounds like a great idea. I know this happens with most every car, but we have the problem of not being able to shut the door once it's first opened after sitting in the cold. so far my first audi isn't doing to well with the cold.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just came from the dealer. Suggested to keep a can of de-ice'r handy and shoot it down the seal - problem when moisture and cold hit the seal on the bottom of the window..
Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM
equ
AudiWorld Member

I had this problem with the frameless window of my bmw coupe (mostly in extreme cold, upstate NY or VT).

I recommend gummipfledge (sp?) or if discontinued, wurth's rubber treatment. Will keep the seals pliable and less likely to freeze on to each other.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wießes Quattro
During some recent snow storms i have had problems with the frameless door windows. If you notice each time that you open the doors, the window moves down a quarter of an inch or so and then raises again once the door is shut. During these storms the windows froze. I could open the door but the windows would not move down the quarter inch its supposed to, so then the doors would not shut. To fix this i scraped off all of the ice from where the window retreats into the door, this made me nervous because it felt as if i could be scratching the glass, but that did not work toatlly so i would hit the down switch and hit the window down with my hand, it seemed like this was also bad due to flexing the window and putting strain on the window motor.
Has anyone else had this problem or anyone have any thoughts about this situation i have encountered?
This happened to me several times now, but it's not that big of a deal. When it first happened I didn't know why my door wouldn't close. I opened my door but the window didn't drop the 1/4 inch or so it normally does, so when I closed the door the top of the window was hitting the door sill. I thought there was something wrong with the door and tried to close it progressively harder a few more times. Luckily instead of using brute force, I went outside and slowly closed the door and saw where the window contacted the door sill.

The easiest solution was to use a credit card and slide it between the rubber and the window. As soon as the ice broke the window dropped and was fine for the rest of the day. This only happens when the ice melts and then freezes. In North Dakota, we stay below freezing for many days at a time and my window works fine.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My fix is to avoid the freezing in the first place. On a day when I expect snow or ice I spray the lower seal with silicon. Never have had an issue with the window sticking. Ice may coat the entire window and it still drops down 1/4 inch when I open the door. That said, it's still probably a good idea to carry a small spray can of de-icer for an extreme case. Try the silicon spray. Works great for me, maybe will work for you.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Zamboni52
This happened to me several times now, but it's not that big of a deal. When it first happened I didn't know why my door wouldn't close. I opened my door but the window didn't drop the 1/4 inch or so it normally does, so when I closed the door the top of the window was hitting the door sill. I thought there was something wrong with the door and tried to close it progressively harder a few more times. Luckily instead of using brute force, I went outside and slowly closed the door and saw where the window contacted the door sill.

The easiest solution was to use a credit card and slide it between the rubber and the window. As soon as the ice broke the window dropped and was fine for the rest of the day. This only happens when the ice melts and then freezes. In North Dakota, we stay below freezing for many days at a time and my window works fine.
You wouldn't happen to be at Minot AFB would you?

Quick Reply: Bad Design Issue?