Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

bang and olefson sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you (and I'm not) ... I would have the dealership reorder the car I want with B&O and wait the 3 months. But it really depends on how important the stereo sound is to you. If you play music regularly then I would reorder. But if you use the stereo sparingly, and tend to listen to talk radio instaed of music, then perhaps it's not so important.

You say that the company in Germany screwed up - are you sure? I bet the fault is with your salesman who messed up the order sheet. I would have him re-order the car with B&O and also negitiate a break on the first month's lease for your trouble.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipB
If I were you (and I'm not) ... I would have the dealership reorder the car I want with B&O and wait the 3 months. But it really depends on how important the stereo sound is to you. If you play music regularly then I would reorder. But if you use the stereo sparingly, and tend to listen to talk radio instaed of music, then perhaps it's not so important.

You say that the company in Germany screwed up - are you sure? I bet the fault is with your salesman who messed up the order sheet. I would have him re-order the car with B&O and also negitiate a break on the first month's lease for your trouble.

Or have the dealer find nearly the same car in their network and have them pay to have it trucked in?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

IMO, the B&O sounds great. I blast my music with friends in the car and have gotten plenty of unsolicited comments about the sound quality. I dunno, maybe we just don't have as refined a palate for quality speakers as the one commenter, but I think the $800 (or whatever it was for 2013) was money well spent on the upgrade.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dmbcrew36
I don't know anything about the B&O, but I completely agree on Bose. I remember in high school and college, arguing with friends who swore Bose was the best. Boston Acoustics were always miles ahead.

B&O is pretty looking Bose. Boston was much better, you're correct.
For $800 its a no brainer over stock which is not saying much. Audi/VW always have awful systems. My GTI is dreadful but surprisingly better than the B&O in my S5. In the VW its background sound with only occasonal thoughts of how bad it sounds. In the S5 its annoyingly bad and I fumble with the controls often. Tizzy and boomy. I wish it wasn't so, a good system can add so much enjoyment.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Love my B & O

Love my B & O in my S5 Cab.
Far superior to my previous Bose premium system in an Infiniti FX.

Absolutely satisfied with every aspect of the B & O system.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 349A
B&O is pretty looking Bose. Boston was much better, you're correct.
For $800 its a no brainer over stock which is not saying much. Audi/VW always have awful systems. My GTI is dreadful but surprisingly better than the B&O in my S5. In the VW its background sound with only occasonal thoughts of how bad it sounds. In the S5 its annoyingly bad and I fumble with the controls often. Tizzy and boomy. I wish it wasn't so, a good system can add so much enjoyment.

I agree that B&O is overpriced, but it sounds far better than Bose. I've heard quite a few high end car audio systems and think the B&O actually sounds fantastic. It's one of the few that does NOT sound boomy to me.

We can argue our opinions all we want, but it basically comes down to how it sounds to the individual listener. Like all people have different preferences for foods they like, the same applies to audio reproduction and music.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vigilan388
I agree that B&O is overpriced, but it sounds far better than Bose. I've heard quite a few high end car audio systems and think the B&O actually sounds fantastic. It's one of the few that does NOT sound boomy to me.

We can argue our opinions all we want, but it basically comes down to how it sounds to the individual listener. Like all people have different preferences for foods they like, the same applies to audio reproduction and music.
Very true, many different tastes and expectations. Its quite subjective and if someone is happy with that level of sound, thats fantastic. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of liking their B&O.

When I was 17, I spent lots of time and money on car audio. I swapped drivers and amps often until I found ones that sounded like music. Live music, not club/PA music. At that time I had as much $$ in my car system as the car itself.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Very true, many different tastes and expectations. Its quite subjective and if someone is happy with that level of sound, thats fantastic. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of liking their B&O.

When I was 17, I spent lots of time and money on car audio. I swapped drivers and amps often until I found ones that sounded like music. Live music, not club/PA music. At that time I had as much $$ in my car system as the car itself.
No offense, but the system you had when you were 17 probably sounded terrible to other people.

Depends on what you listen to and how.

Not saying the B&O system is the best, but for an OEM car audio system, it's pretty fantastic once you dial it in just right. If you're used to multiple amps and tube subwoofers, you're not gonna be pleased, of course.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

I think the B&O system sucks. B&O is not a premium company, they're simply a design company that makes great looking gear. Like Bose, its all reputation with zero actual quality. Don't waste your time- stock and B&O are bad. Just different bad.
Car companies pick brands of audio gear that have well recognized names such as JBL, Infinity, Bose etc. None of these brands are good- at all. Its all about marketing, not about actual quality. They also recognize that 99.9% of the people have no idea of what good sound actually is.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gfreedman
I recently ordered an S5 cabriolet and the company in Germany did everything right except they didn't install the Bang and Olefson sound system that I had ordered. Instead, they installed the standard one. Now I am in the position of taking the car (the dealership is offering to cover my first month lease payment) or of having to reorder the car and wait an additional 3 months (I have already been waiting 3 months).

Is it worth the wait? The dealership tells me that the standard sound system is still of premium quality. How much better is Bang and Olefson anyways?
Haven't heard the standard one but I can tell you that that Bang & O is not as good as the Bose system I used to have in my S4. There is enough bass but it gets a little sloppy and does not have the tight bass of the old Bose. The high and mid sounds great. There is no EQ, which was a welcome touch when I had a BMW. I give it a 6 of 10 compared to the Bose and Harmon Kardon I have had.

Quick Reply: bang and olefson sound