Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Bluetooth Streaming Audio w/ Android

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Streaming Audio w/ Android

I've searched to find some type of instruction of how to stream bluetooth audio in a 2013, but could not find any. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I can't figure out how to get it to work. I have the car setting on, to allow it, but I can't find how to turn it on with my phone when the car tells me to set my phone to sharing. Can anyone with an Android or Samsung Galaxy help me? Thank you!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Easy I have the same phone. Just make sure you Bluetooth is on in your phone. Go into source on the menu in your car and look for the Bluetooth symbol push it and it will find your phone. You can pm me with your number and I will call you Sunday if you like.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wreck111
Easy I have the same phone. Just make sure you Bluetooth is on in your phone. Go into source on the menu in your car and look for the Bluetooth symbol push it and it will find your phone. You can pm me with your number and I will call you Sunday if you like.
I already have my phone linked up with Bluetooth to use the phone. You're saying that's all I needed to do, and it should play music?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

go into the bluetooth settings and check the specific pairing settings for your car. not sure if it's on your phone but there should be two settings for "Phone Audio" and "Media Audio" make sure "Media Audio" is also checked. That's how my phone is setup. My phone is the old droid 4
Old 12-23-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is what it is telling me right now. So something is not right in my phone. I will check to see if I can find something about "Media Audio".
Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also have a 2012 Audi A5 Premium Plus with Nav., and a Samsung Galaxy SIII phone.

I have absolutely no problem with the Bluetooth pairing when it comes to the telephone. That works fantastic.

However, I am eternally frustrated that my $47K car can't play the music in my phone. My daughter's Hyundai Accent can do this! I have worked with the parts manager in the service department at my dealer, trying different cords and combinations to see if we can make it work. The best we can come up with is using the earphone jack plugged in to the connection in the glove box. However, this offers me no controls. It merely uses my cars speakers but I can't touch the phone and I have no hands free controls. We tried the connector that goes in where the charger connects, and we get nothing.

While they have been very kind, helpful and empathetic, they shrug their shoulders, throw up their hands and apologize. They are as clueless as I am. I'd like to listen to books from Audible or my own mp3 library on my commute, and fully enjoy my otherwise fantastic vehicle. But this just chafes my hide that Audi is so unresponsive to this.

Now, if I had an iphone, we'd not be having this conversation. I have made numerous proper connections with my family's various iphones. This is purely an Android issue. If anyone has any valuable advice, I'd love to hear it. I've been looking for an answer since the fall of 2011 when I got my car.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2012 A5 - Thanks for the comments

And I do appreciate that others are also experiencing this issue.

I have checked my phone and under the Bluetooth settings I have "On and Off" and from there the settings show "My Device" and "Paired Devices" that list Audi MMI (my car) SPH-L710 (my husband's GSIII, and TVBluetooth (my Samsung Smart TV).

When I click the Settings for Audi MMI the title bar says "Paired Bluetooth Device" followed by Rename and Repair, then there is a title of Profiles followed by an icon for a telephone and the words "Call Audio, subtitled Use for phone audio" and a check box that is not checked. Is this significant? I can't find any other menus on the phone that asks for anything resembling "Media Audio".

When my daughter plugs her phone into the attached cord there aren't any fancy steps to take. It just recognizes the device, and gives the driver access to the phone and the media. Previously, had a Samsung Epic 4G and it was even worse. At least with the GSIII I have more complete access to my contacts (rather then just display the name, it displays the name and telephone number choices). But using it as a media source is just frustrating.

Wreck 111 ... not sure if your reference about the telephone assistance was to me, but I will PM you my phone number. I'll be home all afternoon if you think you have some android. magic for me.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mrs9838 (if that is your real name!),
I have the exact combination of phone (S3 Verizon) and car that you do. I spent a while tonight trying to stream Bluetooth audio and was unable to do so. There doesn't appear to be a Media Audio component in the phone's bluetooth settings, meaning that the phone can only be paired with the A5 to do phone stuff, not media streaming.
The phone functions, as you describe, also work perfectly for me, but no media. I spent some time trying to configure BT, trying different music players, but to no avail.

I'll keep looking, if you are still interested, but a quick scan of the internet with Google Search would seem to indicate that this is an S3 problem. I'm running the latest Verizon software (JellyBean) with all updates, and still this doesn't work. Hopefully, Wreck 111 helped you out!

BTW, I never tried using Bluetooth for streaming because I just use the 2 SD card slots in the car to keep up to 64GB of music at my fingertips.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Geez, I can't edit my posts.... Meant to say "looks like it's an issue with the Audi." Audi sells some kind of kit to enable audio streaming over bluetooth: http://goo.gl/NoSCP .
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Audi have a website that list phone compatibilities with their BT implementation:

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/12...oth/index.html

Basically, most Audi BT implementation DOES NOT WORK with Android phone A2DP (streaming) profile. ALL iPhone works.

This is not Android fault, I think, because all my BT devices (dongles, etc.) works with my Android phone for streaming audio. Heck, my Android even shows "Media Profile" when connected to these 3rd party BT devices... ONLY with Audi BT it doesn't work.

BT implementation should be universal (that's how it was designed 10 years ago) but Audi messed this up...

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Streaming Audio w/ Android