Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Configuration/Options question... Premium Plus vs. Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Configuration/Options question... Premium Plus vs. Prestige

So I'm having a hell of a hard time figuring this out.

From what I can work out, optioning a Premium Plus with Technology Package vs. a Prestige without Driver Assist basically gets you:

- Adaptive headlights
- Audi Advanced Key
- The ability to opt for an even more expensive package in order to get dynamic steering and adaptive cruise

for basically $2,500 more.

Is that right? Are those the only features you're getting for the extra cash?

Lastly -- I'm sure adaptive dampers help the car, but do they help the car on the road or on the track? This won't be my DD so I don't care about making it softer for the road, but if the adaptive dampers help it handle better in the corners, it'll be worth $1k I think.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Advanced Key is standard for both. Prestige as far as I understand is Premium Plus + Adaptive headlights + Tech pkg + B&O sound + the ability to add the driver assist pkg. The latter IMHO is worth having for the dynamic steering alone and if you do any kind of road trips or drive in traffic, the adaptive cruise control is a gem.

The adaptive suspension is solely for a more comfortable ride when daily driving it. Based on what I read, the adaptive suspension actually gives the car more understeer, because of smaller sway bars. Personally, I'm not a big fan of adaptive damping suspension as the spring rate and sway bars have to be compromised to work equally well with all three modes vs. a single setting suspension that has springs, dampers and sway bars optimized to each other. The only adaptive suspension worth having from a handling perspective is the DRC (Dynamic Ride Control), which in effect is an active sway bar, but unfortunately, we can't get it in the USA, not even on the RS5.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-03-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great info, thanks a lot.

Your details reinforced my opinion on my loadout, which is as follows:

S5 Premium Plus
Daytona Gray Pearl
Manual Transmission
Sports Differential
B&O
Fine Nappa Leather
Technology Package
Black Optics (High Gloss)
@$60,950
Old 02-03-2015, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 2015 RS5 has all the goodies including adaptive steering. No understeer. Cannot get adaptive suspension.

2014 S4 Prestige has adaptive suspension but no adaptive steering option. No understeer.

Adaptive steering is most noticeable at speed. Stiffer. But the S4 is fine as well.

Both cars have adaptive differential which is a must IMVHO.

The RS5 is better in the twisties but the S4 is no slouch in Dynamic mode.

So if you are going to spend a lot of time in the twisties (I do) then you may prefer the dynamic steering but I believe you will be happy either way. Adaptive steering is quicker...less turn of the wheel. More sports car like.

Best
Old 02-03-2015, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I get the feeling (at least on the S5s) Audi is slowly eliminating the Prestige package. I had two S5 Cabs with Prestige and my '15 S5 Coupe is Premium Plus, but because it has the Technology Package, B&O and Adaptive Suspension it actually has more equipment that my previous Prestige models. The Drive Select can be set to Individual. I never had that ability with my '10 or '11 S5 Prestige Cabs. Yes, it's confusing.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can't compare prestige and premium plus from different years...

For 2014, if you were ordering most of the options, then the Prestige was the way to go. When you eventually sell the car, you are selling a Prestige has better value than than premium plus + options.

For 2015, everything kind of changed. Prestige would be the way to go only if you really want the drive assist pack. Also for 2015, I donīt think you can get the rear sunshade.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by drvai
You can't compare prestige and premium plus from different years...

For 2014, if you were ordering most of the options, then the Prestige was the way to go. When you eventually sell the car, you are selling a Prestige has better value than than premium plus + options.

For 2015, everything kind of changed. Prestige would be the way to go only if you really want the drive assist pack. Also for 2015, I donīt think you can get the rear sunshade.
What is the Drive Assist pack? Sorry, not familiar with it.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
What is the Drive Assist pack? Sorry, not familiar with it.
It includes adaptive cruise control, the one that uses radar to maintain a set distance to the car ahead and dynamic steering, which is a variable ratio steering rack, that provides a sportier more responsive and direct steering with better feedback. It adjusts not only the steering boost, but also the steering ratio, but if you put it in dynamic mode it locks the steering ratio for a consistent response on the track or twisty mountain road, but the ratio is still more direct than the standard steering, so it feels sportier and more dynamic in every mode. It also integrates tightly with the stability control and the sport diff to further minimize understeer by making minor steering corrections at the handling limit. It's technically really a performance option along the lines of the sport diff, but for some reason Audi packages it as a driving assist feature. It does make parallel parking a lot easier, so I guess that's why. But in the S6/7 it's now part of the sport package that also includes the sport differential and in the RS7 it's part of the dynamic package, so I guess AoA also realized that they put it in the wrong package for the B8/B8.5.

Here's a good write up that describes how the dynamic steering, sport differential and audi drive select work together for a more dynamic driving experience.

quattro with Sport Differential: Dynamism Redefined - AudiWorld
Old 02-05-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Am I correct in understanding that you must get Prestige in order to get the comfort seats on an S5? I drove a Premium car without them and the seats seemed OK, but I have seen a number of postings and the C&D review which suggest the standard seats can be uncomfortable on long drives. I can't wait for an ordered car and all I can find available locally are Premium cars, so am trying to decide whether to accept a Premium without the comfort seats. Any input would be most welcome. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2015, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jack's dad
Am I correct in understanding that you must get Prestige in order to get the comfort seats on an S5? I drove a Premium car without them and the seats seemed OK, but I have seen a number of postings and the C&D review which suggest the standard seats can be uncomfortable on long drives. I can't wait for an ordered car and all I can find available locally are Premium cars, so am trying to decide whether to accept a Premium without the comfort seats. Any input would be most welcome. Thanks!
Don't laugh, but I think the comfort of the standard Sport seats really depends on how wide you are across the hips. There are a couple of members who have complained about them being too constraining in that area and being uncomfortable. I have the Sport seats, and are there other seats (my former GS F Sport) that I immediately found more comfortable? Yes. Do I find these seats uncomfortable once I am settled in? No. I am 5'8", 160 lbs. and find the standard seats very comfortable and supportive. You will just have to play around with the adjustments before you find that perfect combination.

Quick Reply: Configuration/Options question... Premium Plus vs. Prestige