Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Emergency Key Holder

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Key Holder

I was reading my car's manual and supposedly the car is supposed to come with 2 master keys, a plastic emergency key, and an emergency key holder in the glove box. I received the plastic emergency key, along with the 2 master keys, but I don't have any emergency key holder in the glove box, although I see the slot where it's supposed to be kept.
I called my dealer about it yesterday evening and will followup with him today, but just wanted to check with you guys what I'm supposed to be getting.
Thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It must have just been overlooked.

However, I'm unclear as to the benefit of keeping the emergency key in the glove compartment. I'm assuming you lock the glove compartment, so how are you supposed to get to the emergency key when you need it? If you don't lock the glove compartment, can't someone break in the car and drive away via the emergency key?

I've just kept mine at home, am I missing something?
Old 08-27-2010, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a slot in your glove compartment where the emergency plastic Key holder goes, the plastic key has another key inside, which you would remove and carry in your wallet for emergencies in case you lose your master key or something like that. the Plastic Key holder looks like a master key except its plastic, that plastic key holder that looks like the master key stays in the car, but the little key inside is to taken out carried in your wallet or put in safe place. The plastic key holder will not work without the little plastic key being inserted into it.

For those you with the advance key feature, the plastic key will only work if you insert it into the console.

Remember the Plastic Key consists of 2 pieces, the smaller key inside a master key that is made of plastic, the inside key or smaller key is inserted into the master key made of plastic, and then it will work to start the car when inserted into the console, of course with your foot depressed on the brake pedal or brake and clutch for those 6MT Members

The plastic key without the smaller key inserted into it will not work to start the car, thats why the plastic master key can be kept in the glove compartment, it wont do anything without the smaller key inserted into it, so carry the smaller key in your pocket or put it away in a safe place dont leave it in the car.

Last edited by Stevial; 08-27-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys. I understood how it worked from the manual, but it was nowhere to be found in my car nor in the packet I received from the dealer, so I needed to verify that it was supposed to come with the car stock. I just got off the phone with him and he says to just come by and he'll give me one. I'd just like to have it just in case.

Thanks for the quick help.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This clears up alot for me. I was wondering how it worked.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lesson #2 for me today.

Checked my glovebox and found the plastic key holder

Thank you!!!