Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Extended warranty - anyone get it? Under what circumstances?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty - anyone get it? Under what circumstances?

Im looking to keep my S5 for a long time, now that I've driven it. That is, assuming it holds up in terms of reliability. I'll likely only put about 6000 miles a year on it max, and that would put me at 24k in the four year warranty period, when time runs out. To extend to 7 years and 75k, it costs $2600. Now, if it is still reliable at 4 years and 24k, it's likely to be fine for the next 18k in the next three years, right? So, no big advantage for me. But, if it isn't reliable, Id want to sell it, and then the 3 yr extended gives the next driver easily 50k miles to burn up under warranty. So, in this case, that would add something to the resale value, right? But if Im selling it at 4 years, it's not been reliable, and the new buyer will know that, so that works against the value. Right?

So, would anyone opt for the warranty in this case?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi allows you to get their own Extended plan near the end of the 4yr/50k. See how it plays out
Old 06-03-2008, 07:37 AM

Default Actually, this issue came up in this forum some months...

...ago. I didn't save the link, since I have not even gotten my car yet, but there was an individual on the forum who had found a pretty good extended warranty plan that seemed reasonably priced. I think it was better priced than the one you are quoting here.

The only stipulation was that you had to sign up before reaching a certain mileage--some number far higher than you have now, given that you just got the car.

Maybe you can search the forum for "extended warranty" or something.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 AM

Default Would depend to me on what is covered under the extended warranty...

...and whether the present value of the expected repairs after 4 years, that are covered under the warranty, are $2,600.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default thx folks

I did find that previous thread in a search and have contacted the person who was discussing the other options up until 12k miles put on the car. It just seems that there are too many unknowns for now as to whether Im going to keep the car long enough for it to be relevant, and with a new model, the reliability is pretty unknown too. The cost of repairs is about the only thing that is easy to figure out. If something major breaks after four years, it's going to cost a boatload of money. So, will also depend on what exactly is covered.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default On average, by mathematical necessity, expected value will exceed cost of the extended warranty.

That's how any insurance works. The real question is risk aversion. Yes, on average you will do worse buying the extended warranty than going without. But how risk averse are you? Is it worth a few hundred dollars over and above expected value to know that you won't be nailed with massive repair bills? If so, then buy one. I've gotten them for several cars, and I've never regretted it. The peace of mind is valuable in and of itself, to me. But I'm pretty risk averse.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 AM

What is covered under the extended warranty?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Evan Wieder from NE audi club got one through my friend..

I think it was $2700 for diamond coverage including Luxury electronics 100k Miles and 3 years past factory....transferable... with $100 deductible, $250 to go to $0 deductible...
Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: What is covered under the extended warranty?

Ive looked at some paperwork finally - it is through Century, which insures through DAC, which is A- rated from AMBest. Decent. The quote is for COMPREHENSIVE, which is the highest coverage they have, which includes, powertrain related, electronic related, and high tech related (the three lower packages) There are exclusions, and these involve shocks, carb (not an issue) clutch (I have TIP), timing belt, and other related maintenance type things. In the language they state : "gradual reduction in operating performance is not covered unless it exceeds the published tolerances allowed by the manufacturer," which I mean to interpret as this is NOT a "wear and tear" type package, which are much more valuable, but rather a mechanical issue extended warranty (which is essentially an extended service contract of sorts.)

Any more thoughts from the legume gallery?

thx for all the feedback. G
Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Default I would pass for $2,600

Drivetrain should last well beyond 100K miles, which is the most expensive. Electronics and high tech are the least expensive items to fix otherwise. Now if it included timing belt, shocks, brakes, A/C, radiator and other items that can and do go bad, I would consider it.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty - anyone get it? Under what circumstances?