Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

GMG vs Milltek, Sizzle are you out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMG vs Milltek, Sizzle are you out there?

I know there are a million threads about exhausts. And yes, I've been on youtube for hours listening to them, so no flaming please.

I want to hear more of my V8 when I hit the gas, but don't want any drone on the highway or light driving. I also prefer a deep growl to a high-piched sound. From what I can hear through computer speakers and crappy youtube audio, I've narrowed down my choices down to Milltek non-resonated and the GMG quad exhausts. I know Sizzle had the Milltek and now has the GMG. I tried PMing him with no reply. So I'm throwing it out there for everyone. Any reviews or comments on these two exhausts would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mik34; 03-01-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the GMG exhaust with the round oval black thermal tips. I can say that I would not change it for anything. I've had the Milltek on my last 4.2 V8 S4 and it sounded incredible but I will never buy Milltek again. They are more expensive than anyone else and the quality of the welds are not as good as the GMG. I was told by a custom exhaust installer that he could have made a product similar to Milltek's exhaust for around $800 and the quality would have been superior. Plus I've had nothing but problems from my old Milltek downpipe cats.

I have an automatic in my S5 and everyone says it sounds incredible/perfect. I don't think you can go wrong with either one but I've got to recommend the GMG.

Let me ask you this...does the money matter because I've heard pretty good things from the Magnaflow exhaust that just came out. I would have and did look at getting a custom Magnaflow but this was before the now over the counter Magnaflow but ultimately chose the GMG.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info Imola.

Money really isn't an issue. I'd rather spend a bit more for what I want. That's why I bought an S5 in the first place. I'm ok with spending more for the GMG quad tips. I listened to the Magnaflow online and wasn't really impressed. I know people have said good things and it's definitely a good price, but it sounded more high-pitched compared to the growl of the GMG. Might be my computer speakers vs bad online audio but that's all I have to go on.

Is there any drone with the GMG (be honest please)? It sounds like a beast on the throttle, just want to make sure I can still enjoy the B&O on the highway. Also my wife would constantly complain if there was drone. She's not in my car too often, but often enough that I don't want her nagging to compete with an exhaust drone (not sure which would annoy me more).

I also have an automatic, so it's nice to hear yours works well. Do you have downpipes or just the catback? I don't think I want the DPs because I don't want too much sound.

Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure if this is what you would call droning or not but If I am driving in the DRIVE mode then sometimes at certain RPM's you can hear it resonate into the cabin. But at the same RPM driving in SPORT or MANUAL mode it does not. I think it's just because in DRIVE mode the car is upshifting early and causes some sound to resonate and that why I don't think its droning. I could be wrong with this but it has never been a problem for me nor my wife.

Last edited by Imola Ghost; 03-01-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does it do this on the highway if you're in drive? I have no problem driving in sport in the city, it's more fun anyway. On the highway or on longer drives, I leave it in drive because it's not spirited driving anyway.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No absolutely not. I driven my S5 on 2 different 30 hour drives and it does not do have that sound on the highway.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks man, really helpful info. I think I'll be going with the GMG.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm very sure you'll be very please once you see it in person based upon the quality and the sound [to me] is perfect for this car. It's suttle when you want it but aggressive at the same time.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Imola Ghost
I'm very sure you'll be very please once you see it in person based upon the quality and the sound [to me] is perfect for this car. It's suttle when you want it but aggressive at the same time.
How would you compare the GMG exhaust to Milltek in terms of loudness? I was thinking of getting the Milltek exhaust for my car because I don't want something that is too loud (as strange as this may sound). To me the S5 is a classy GT car and I don't want to completely change its character with something that is too intrusive in the cabin.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sesame60
How would you compare the GMG exhaust to Milltek in terms of loudness? I was thinking of getting the Milltek exhaust for my car because I don't want something that is too loud (as strange as this may sound). To me the S5 is a classy GT car and I don't want to completely change its character with something that is too intrusive in the cabin.

The Milltek is [to me] more loud and and the GMG is more refined. I was in the same boat as you and felt the exact same way about my car when I was looking for and exhaust and that's why I chose the GMG.

Quick Reply: GMG vs Milltek, Sizzle are you out there?