Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Had Infiniti G37 as Rental - Impressed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had Infiniti G37 as Rental - Impressed

So one thing I like about National car rental is you get to choose your car. Since I am in their Emerald/Executive club (through my employer) I recently chose a Infiniti G37x sedan on a trip to Boston. I hate to say it but I found little to dislike about the G. The car is seriously fast and tight. The interior didn't have the rich feel of my A5 but I am sure it is less expensive than a comparable Audi. I couldn't help but wondering why I didn't drive a G when shopping for a car.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jpinwdc
So one thing I like about National car rental is you get to choose your car. Since I am in their Emerald/Executive club (through my employer) I recently chose a Infiniti G37x sedan on a trip to Boston. I hate to say it but I found little to dislike about the G. The car is seriously fast and tight. The interior didn't have the rich feel of my A5 but I am sure it is less expensive than a comparable Audi. I couldn't help but wondering why I didn't drive a G when shopping for a car.
I test drove the G37XS ( Sport ) Coupe before buying my A5 S-Line. It was really nice, but the 335 hp motor felt barely quicker than the 2.0T, and it has tons more horsepower. Car for car, its really not even close. Fit and finish, the look of the body and especially the interior and dash of the A5 screams Euro-Lux. The Infiniti says High end Japanese all over it. Price for price...almost identical her in Montreal.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

The G is a great car for the money. We have a 37 Convertible and an S5 Cab. I like the looks of the G with the hardtop, but I have to admit I always prefer to drive the S5. It feels much more solid and the interior is much more upscale. Also, the B&O system beats the Bose Open Air system hands down. For over $10,000 less than the S5, the G is still a lot of car for the money.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I like the G37 but still can't stand the exhaust note of any car that Nissan puts the VQ V6 into. I think it sounds horrible & practically grates on my skull whenever one goes by. Just my $.02...
Old 03-17-2011, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

infinitis are great cars but in the end its the people who cant afford the Audi that get the infiniti.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Infinitis are high end torque and Audis are low end torque. We all know that low end torque is much more useable in everyday driving.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a G37S Coupe prior to my S5 and loved it. It's a fantastic car for the money and was a blast to drive. Plenty of power, sounded great and looked great inside and out. I do love my S5, but I better for $20k more.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've bought an Infiniti FX-35 new in 2003, still love it after 170,000mi.
I'm waiting on my new Audi S5 Cabriolet, due to arrive 1st week of May. It was just time for a change and I loved the S5 Cab.
My FX-35 has been beyond reliable, fun, loaded with every option including a monster 300W Bose sound system.............teriffic.
I see the Infiniti brand as a very good value for the price and Audi as a more Premium special brand..............not at all "Generic".
Conservative excellence.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

The G is a super car and a great value compared with a similar Audi (A4) product. Not knocking the G (if I had a do over I would have bought the G instead of my A5) BUT... the fact that it is available as a National or a Hertz rental says something though doesn't it?

if want to drive a rental car the G is probably top of the line on those lots....if you want an exclusive ride - The A5 is they only choice at that price point.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hwks1
The G is a super car and a great value compared with a similar Audi (A4) product. Not knocking the G (if I had a do over I would have bought the G instead of my A5) BUT... the fact that it is available as a National or a Hertz rental says something though doesn't it?

if want to drive a rental car the G is probably top of the line on those lots....if you want an exclusive ride - The A5 is they only choice at that price point.
The G37 is a nice car, and it's an especially good value for the money. It has a lot of horsepower, although you do have to get the engine up to high RPMs to get good torque.

But in trying to keep costs down, many of the interior parts feel sort of cheap (especially some of the buttons and switches). It definitely feels more like a near-luxury interior a true luxury interior. I also found the placement of the media and nav controls to be bad. I'm tall and need to put the seat back, and I would have to reach over to use the high-mounted buttons or touch screen on the Infiniti. That would drive me nuts. The placement of the MMI on the A5 (by the shifter) is much more convenient for a tall driver.

Quick Reply: Had Infiniti G37 as Rental - Impressed