Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

I finally got the APR stage one for my 2010 A5 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoK4drSi
Find a guy with an APR chipped 2.0T A4 or A5. Like I said, what Audi put out on the market, the low end pulled somewhat but I was uninpressed with the top end. When my friend got chipped, it feel night and day.....the car wants to keep on going and won't stop when you're on it. Whoever is thinking about getting chipped....do it! And all the doubters out there, just wait till the trend catches on....sooner or later you'll be walked or left behind.
I was speaking purely w/ regards to stock form in my previous post. I've been running APR's 93-octane program on my B8 A4 for over a year, so I can definitely relate. The added power across the entire powerband is definitely noticeable and is sustained past the 4.5k or so where a stock 2.0T seems to lose steam. Having driven a 3.2 A4, I still give it an edge up top over a tuned 2.0T tho.

Of course, there are FMIC, HFC, and testpipe offerings already out for the 2.0T that should address the top-end discrepancy while further improving upon the existing low-end advantage should anyone choose to mod beyond ECU-tuning.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spaniardone
that is non-sense.. 3.2 gets same of even better mpg than the turbo 2.0
ROFL wow, ignorance is bliss. I agree that the 2.0T doesn't have a vastly significant advantage over the 3.2 in gas mileage, but given the same transmission, driving style, and conditions, there is never a case in which the 3.2 will get better gas mileage than a 2.0T.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by spaniardone
a 325ix? WOW! you must be very proud lol
Nope, just having fun! LOL
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was really disappointed by the S5's performance figures. I opted for the 2.0t intentionally over it because I knew that with not too much money, I could meet the s5's top end and blow it's torque figure out of the water.

My experience with Audi is limited but I know as most of you do, that factory FI engines are built like tanks...

Seeing the variations in available re-maps, you know this is a stout block.

Exhaust, test pipe, custom intake, intercooler, water/meth, and a good dynotune and you'll have the S5... And for what, $3-4k?...

I'd rather have a unique FI engine over an NA motor any day of the week. Once you get boost, you crave it in everything!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by specialized5223
I was really disappointed by the S5's performance figures. I opted for the 2.0t intentionally over it because I knew that with not too much money, I could meet the s5's top end and blow it's torque figure out of the water.

My experience with Audi is limited but I know as most of you do, that factory FI engines are built like tanks...

Seeing the variations in available re-maps, you know this is a stout block.

Exhaust, test pipe, custom intake, intercooler, water/meth, and a good dynotune and you'll have the S5... And for what, $3-4k?...

I'd rather have a unique FI engine over an NA motor any day of the week. Once you get boost, you crave it in everything!
You are beyond delusional. If Audi could make a 2.0t liter perform like the S5 for $3,$4k themselves they would do it. YOu after a bit more money could approach the 317 torque figure, but it's not torque that determines speed it's HP. Basically, same reason F1 cars are HIgh RPM, High HP engines, and low torque. You are remotely coming close to the perforamance of an S5 for $3,$4K ain't going to happen. Maybe more like $15K-$20K imply boring out to increase capacity, bigger turbo, and even then I don't think you'll have enough capacity in terms of feul/air to actually come close to th equivalent power the v8 will produce with each combustion.

You can't defeat physics for cheap, no matter how much like to believe that. With $3,$4K you'll approach the performance of the 3.2, although, many think a chip is all it takes, it's not truly case, you'll need an exhaust as well.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think modding the 2.0T to S5 numbers is unrealistic. At least not without a bigger turbo that costs a lot of money and requires that you also upgrade some internal parts to handle the extra power.

Most people will only invest around $1.5k for chip and catback exhaust, which will net a decent performance gain over the 3.2. There's some talk about the benefits of a bigger FMIC but the only dyno I've seen comes from AWE (+20/20), which also happens to be the only vendor selling a FMIC for the A5... so the jury is still out on that one.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ViktoR6
I think modding the 2.0T to S5 numbers is unrealistic. At least not without a bigger turbo that costs a lot of money and requires that you also upgrade some internal parts to handle the extra power.

Most people will only invest around $1.5k for chip and catback exhaust, which will net a decent performance gain over the 3.2. There's some talk about the benefits of a bigger FMIC but the only dyno I've seen comes from AWE (+20/20), which also happens to be the only vendor selling a FMIC for the A5... so the jury is still out on that one.
Agree with this. It's a stretch to believe the current mods available for the 2.0T are enough to outperform the S5.

To Specialized5223 who mentioned meth and dyno tune...those aren't currently available for the A5, so while they would be great and you would see major gains, they just aren't available.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

HAHAHA I just saw it had 420hp. I thought it was 365 for some reason.

Regardless, useable torque over once a month 120mph on the thruway is what I prefer anyway.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was delusional lol
Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by thatguypeter
Nope, just having fun! LOL
spaniardone was being facetious since his 3.2 A5 eats Veyrons alive while simultaneously getting 6,987,453 mpg.

Originally Posted by specialized5223
While I agree that a tuned 2.0T can easily make more torque earlier than an S5, the only way I can see making similar HP is going w/ a big-turbo setup, which have historically been $4k+ AFAIK. This will at least allow you to compete in the top-end. Let's not forget that Audi tends to underrate its performance figures, so the S5 may be faster than it seems on paper.

You can run the APR 100 oct program 24/7 w/ a meth kit, which is claimed to get you around 260 HP. Exhaust probably won't get you much more HP (maybe 10?) but a testpipe may add another 20 HP. OEM Audi intakes are already very efficient so an upgrade there will probably only change the sound of the car and not give you any noticeable performance gains. As for an FMIC, I believe ppl run either a meth kit or an FMIC, but not both.

So that's why I don't know that a 2.0T can make north of 300 HP w/out going w/ a BT setup. It may not matter tho. The current S5 makes about 350 HP IIRC but also weighs about 200 lbs more, and a tuned 2.0T easily makes more low-end torque. The bigger concern is the supercharged V6 that's currently in the S4 and that is coming soon to the S5. Think stock power of the S5's V8 combined w/ the tunability of the 2.0T.

Last edited by ItsDubC; 05-04-2010 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: I finally got the APR stage one for my 2010 A5 2.0T