Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

It's here - what do I need to not forget when I pick up the car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's here - what do I need to not forget when I pick up the car?

I'm getting so excited/nervous now that my brain is freezing up. I searched the site for the pickup day checklist but couldnt find it. Can anyone point me to that thread, or just post items that must be taken care of day 1? I know I need to make a decision on audi care, I already contacted them about not detailing it. I'll check for the iPod connector. Do my walkaround inspection.

What am I forgetting? Ive got three hours to make sure Im fully prepared. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Geoffrey, most important don't forget to actually pick up the car :-) We should meet up after you

get it. I'm sure Nick will come too!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Geoffrey, most important don't forget to actually pick up the car :-) We should meet up after yo

Did you guys get any of the options (paint protection, extended warranty, audi care)?

I know the first thing I'll want to do once I get the car is fix the DRL winking - will need someone up here with a VAG-COM.

Once I've settled in with my ride we can catch up somewhere - Infineon? Hahaha.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I only got the audi care, didn't care much for the other stuff. For the DRLs Nick is your guy :)

You guys can meet up and he can fix it for you, Nick is very nice. He did it for me.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't forget your gas money...
Old 06-01-2008, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Geoffrey, how did it go? Enjoying the car? :-)

I'm sure Mike was happy to hand over the keys to you!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Geoffrey, how did it go? Enjoying the car? :-)

I'm totally thrilled with it. The best part is that the TIP is so much better than I had expected, and especially more enjoyable than the auto that I tried out in the 335i. I like to spend most of my time driving leisurely, so as not to upset passengers, and to just be cool, calm and collected. This is the perfect transmission for that, And of course, when you want to get up and go, it's got plenty of cajones even in the standard D selection. If you want to make your stomach ache, you can put it in S and take it to the redline as you desire. But Im not doing that even once until I hit 1000 miles.

Overall though, the first two hundred miles have been pure pleasure, although there have been many a gawking face, thumbs up, and driveby starings, along with the less common raving lunatic saying, "oh my god, I love your car, oh man, i love Audis, man, oh man, damn..." etc. (This is almost an exact quote)

The main reason I wanted this car was NOT to beat the snot out of everything on the road, but to have a very nice GT cruiser type car, that on occassion, you could really let loose. For now, Im content to enjoy the B&O (which in my opinion, needs no subwoofer upgrade.)

My inaugural song was CAKE - going the distance. Perfect driving song. Perfect car. I havent taken any pics yet - too busy driving and having a life, but I will get to those shortly.

On other quick thing - noticed on a 40 minute highway jaunt that you can definitely get very decent commuter mileage in this car, despite the fact that it is super hungry around town. My estimate for the highway in D6 at 75 to 80 mph without a lot of maniac Racer X driving thrown in, is that you can look to get over 25 MPG.

The DSB also is far better looking than ANY picture I have seen on any Audi forum. When the sun hits it right, it is dazzling and much brighter and more metallic than you'd think. Id say out of everything, this has been the item that has surpassed my expectations more than any other. The Pearl Silver interior is also pretty much perfect in terms of my expectations. Not too white, but white enough for contrast, and very rich looking material. Id say most photos I saw online made it look a bit whiter than it is, and Im quite pleased with the very natural tone.

Also, on the back seats - Im 5' 10" 195 lbs, normal torso to legs ratio. I set my driver seat position, and then tilted the seat to get in the back, so as too keep the leg room intact. No problem. Now, youre not going to cross one leg over the other, but there is plenty of room for a me in the front and a me in the back. Smaller people will have no problem at all. I can even sit cross-legged in the back comfortably (nonPC "Indian Style") If you have a smaller person in the passenger seat, you can have quite a bit more space in the back for an even larger person, but Id think a 6 footer is when you'd be pushing it.

More reviewing later...have to go drive some more.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Geoffrey, how did it go? Enjoying the car? :-)

Congrats..great mini review. I'm really considering the DSB. When you get a chance would you be willing to post some pics of the car. I'm especially looking for Pics of the DSB in different lighting conditions (midday, dusk, night etc) thanks and congrats.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Alright!!! Nice review! Enjoy the car as much as you can, after a while you get used to the staring

and comments by people
We should really meet up, I'm sure Nick would like to see your car too.
Btw your mileage is going to get better after around 8K miles. At least mine did!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Alright!!! Nice review! Enjoy the car as much as you can, after a while you get used to the star

that's just my initial impression review. Once I've had a chance to get past 1000 miles, I'll be able to really let it loose and by then, I'll also have had a much better chance to understand all the setting in MMI, and various ways of tweaking this and that to customize the overall ride.

One of these coming weekends we can catch up and trade stories. I've only seen one S5 on the road since they went into production, so it looks like we'll be getting a lot of attention with ours for quite some time. Once the B8 A4s come out, it should die down. It is a bit ridiculous at times now, but it beats people pointing at laughing.