Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

(maybe Audi will say 'no DSG' now, as to keep sales up for manual)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Senior Staff Member said:

At the R8 ride/drive one of the attendees (i.e. not event staff) was a senior, German speaking, Audi staff member. I asked him in conversation about an inline DSG, since we both felt the E-Gear of the R8 was a bit stone age compared to the A3/VW DSG. He stated that the inline DSG gearbox was "in process" and that Audi would be changing to DSG for all models. He did not discuss a timeline, but implied quickly, if I read his body language correctly.

If we try to put two an two together:

1) Germans have traditionally preferred manual over automatic, so the lack of an automatic at A5/S5 model introduction is not such a big deal. This is re-enforced by only S5 4.2FSI and A5 3.0TDI A5 in Germany, both groups naturally preferring manual, if for different reasons.

2)The engine is moved rearward in the A5/S5 and this is the new A6,A5&A4 shared platform. A dual lay shaft six speed can be made much shorter than the very long and fat standard six speed automatic.

3) Moving the engine location is almost a once in a lifetime event for an engineer working a given platform. My guess is that the current automatic will not fit the new chassis and that we await the introduction of the inline DSG, to arrive shortly.

Thin deduction I have to admit, but this may well be the picture.
-=m=-
Old 04-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jeez, you really think Audi is avoiding DSG because it'd be too fast?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default perhaps DSG shows up on the B8 platform after the RS4 ceases production

though i imagine that is less than a year from now.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 'Never TOO fast" - seriously though, just voicing my thoughts about Audi's models 'stepping' on

each others' toes. It sure would seem odd that someone looking to purchase the $73K RS4 which is spec'ed as a 4.8sec 0-60 car by Audi could get an S5 which has more torque and very similar acceleration performance for high $50's.
(All speculation of course)
---------------------------------------------
Audi specs
---------------------------------------------
S4 = 5.3sec 0-60 (official)
S5 = 4.9sec 0-60 (official 0-100kmh is 5.1)
S6 = 5.1sec 0-60 (official)
S8 = 4.9sec 0-60 (official)
RS4 = 4.8sec 0-60 (official)
R8 = 4.4sec 0-60 (official)

S5 = 4.8sec 0-60 (DSG Transmission?)
Old 04-12-2007, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Would seem very odd if that was the reasoning.

Audi lists their DSG versions as matching their manual versions in performance. Magazine tests may have shown other results.

Besides, they're already going to blow up the sales of the B7 market if performance is your determining factor. I mean 4.9 vs 4.8 at a $15k premium. I can't imagine many people would choose the RS4 already at that price gap. I doubt a .1s difference in acceleration time is going to make that much impact on that decision. RS4 at this point would be purchased over a S5 for the 4 doors, styling differences, and exclusivity at this point not because of performance.

I would expect people shopping the R8 to be looking at that car for styling/exclusivity as much as performance benefits. I have a really hard time believing somebody who's in the market for a $100k+ car is going to step down to an S5 because it's in the ballpark of the R8 in acceleration numbers. Especially when they can just side step to a car like the 911 Turbo if they're REALLY concerned about numbers at that price.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Elder Member

Default I hope so.

Like someone mentioned below, it'd be a shame if BMW beat Audi to the punch with their DSG when Audi had a lead in the technology.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I wasn't saying that an S5 would be chosen over an R8 - definitely not, but

If you spent 130K on an R8, would you want a car for less than half the price (S5) to be able to stick with you at a light? I sure wouldn't and I'd be a little bothered that my car wasn't much faster, particularly since it is advertised as the fastest Audi ever, and is the pinnacle of Audi technology. Some people will say, speed doesn't matter and that its all about this or that, but the fact is when you get into performance vehicles, there are specs and published numbers for a reason. It's also one of the reasons why an RS car outperforms an S car and an S car outperforms a standard Audi. At the end of the day, I believe it is important that performance is noticably staggered between different models both from a marketing standpoint and value to the customers. It could be that Audi is 'blurring' that line, but I wouldn't think that would be a smart move.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, S5 coupe with 7-speed DSG will do 0-60 in 4.7 seconds

DSG makes any vehicle 2/10 of a second quicker from 0-60 (regardless of whether the DSG has six gears or seven gears) than the same vehicle with a 6-speed manual. The S5 coupe with the crummy 6-speed tiptronic automatic will do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds.

The S5 convertible should do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds with DSG, 5.1 seconds with a 6-speed stick and 5.6 seconds with the crummy 6-speed tiptronic automatic.

The RS 5 will do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds (coupe) or 4.4 seconds (convertible) with DSG, if DSG is even an option on the RS 5 and in 4.4 seconds (coupe) or 4.6 seconds (convertible) with a 6-speed stick. If it were going to be available with the lousy 6-speed tiptronic automatic transmission (which it won't be, HALLELUIAH!!!!!!!!!!), the RS 5 would do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds (coupe) or 5.1 seconds (convertible).
Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If I'm going to be bothered by stop light drag performance, then I wouldn't buy an R8.

It's just not that fast for the price. I believe the initial run is already sold out, so the people buying them either don't care that much about the straight line performance or failed to do any research before buying that car. There are quite a few cars that are already as fast or way faster for that price or less. Not to mention, if you're going to be bothered by 4.4s vs 4.8s, aren't you going to be bothered by 4.4s vs 4.9s? You're already going to have a problem if they're releasing an RS5, it's going to have to come in around 4.5s or less if they're going to bother. Otherwise, it would just be a really expensive body kit.

Perhaps a better perspective, if you're Audi would you intentionally hamper the sales of what should be a much higher volume model just to make the hand full of R8 buyers feel better about their purchase?

Not saying they aren't thinking that, but it strikes me as a very odd way to handle things if they are.