Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Modding the in dash monitor

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

In the US it's illegal to have a DVD playing in the dashboard while the car is in motion. Anyone that modifies it is subject to legal action if the DVD contributes to an accident.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven with an in-dash t.v. in every vehicle I've owned over the last 10 years; Honda DelSol, Subaru WRX, Acura TL. Though I would play movies while in motion, it was mostly for the passengers. I'll admit I would play music videos even when driving by myself, but I'd only really watch it at stop lights. Quite honestly, I've found it safer than texting while driving; which is something I avoid at all costs.

It just seems like a waste of a perfectly good screen if I can't play my own media on it. I don't plan on turning the A5 into a show car, but nothing passes time at a car show like playing video games on an in-dash t.v. Lol.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I finally started to look into this again, and there is a high-end auto shop in town that is telling me they could add switchable A/V functionality to my A5 for about $1,400.

Seems a bit steep, so I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what they could possibly use to make this work, and I haven't been able to find anything online. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm confident that they could do it, but I'm starting to wonder if they're going to splice into wires and use some type of A/V switcher to pull it off. Doesn't really sound like a $1,400 job.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

We can add this to the chicks putting on make up and people texting while driving. Video in the dash is just what we need for safer driving
Old 11-05-2010, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tenchistyle
I've driven with an in-dash t.v. in every vehicle I've owned over the last 10 years; Honda DelSol, Subaru WRX, Acura TL. Though I would play movies while in motion, it was mostly for the passengers. I'll admit I would play music videos even when driving by myself, but I'd only really watch it at stop lights. Quite honestly, I've found it safer than texting while driving; which is something I avoid at all costs.
Seriously, you need to be watching a movie and driving? Give me a break. I hope I don't live anywhere near you.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
In the US it's illegal to have a DVD playing in the dashboard while the car is in motion. Anyone that modifies it is subject to legal action if the DVD contributes to an accident.
What a wet blanket... I'm sure most people are responsible enough to not let their attention be taken away from the task at hand - driving.

We can add this to the chicks putting on make up and people texting while driving. Video in the dash is just what we need for safer driving
I have it enabled, but mostly use it to listen to concert dvds. I usually switch the video over to Nav while the music plays.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What if I am watching "Cool as Ice", surely there is some loophole for really good movies. I bet all of us hard-core modders that changed the settings on our DRLs could also be subject to legal action. I removed my seat belt chime too. Big brother is watching...
Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
What a wet blanket... I'm sure most people are responsible enough to not let their attention be taken away from the task at hand - driving.
Really foolish statement. Why do you think states are passing texting laws? Because many of those drivers are not responsible enough.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by HoustonA5
Seriously, you need to be watching a movie and driving? Give me a break. I hope I don't live anywhere near you.
"I would play movies while in motion, it was mostly for the passengers. ... I'd only really watch it at stop lights." - Excerpts from my posts

It's something I enjoy having for entertainment. Have you never taken a chick on a long road trip!? You'd be surprised how pleasant the drive is when you don't have to chat about random crap the whole way. For crying out loud you guys act like we're out there drunk driving.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick Reply: Modding the in dash monitor