Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Need help 2011 S4 or A5 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much like the original poster, I'm in this exact situation at the moment. I find myself alternating between an A5 and S4. I won't include the S5 in the discussion because that's out of my range.

I happen to prefer the body style of the A5 over the S4. The ONLY hesitation I have about this vehicle is that it's a 4 cylinder (although it is turbo-charged). I only got to test drive the vehicle for about 5 mins with the sales associate sitting next to me so it wasn't the best way to find out what it could do. Now if Audi dropped the 3.0 litre supercharged engine into this, it'd be a no brainer. However, that's not gonna happen.

With the S4 though, to me it's more about performance than styling. Don't get me wrong, it is a very sharp looking car but I (like some here) prefer the A5's styling (and two doors) over it.

Both are great cars and I'd be happy with either of them.

Price wise, the two can be pretty close once you start slapping on the options.

As for color combinations, Aruba Blue on the A5, Sprint Blue on the S4.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SantoDomingoS5
A5/S5 got it all, looks, power, attraction, performance.. and these LED light can be seeing from miles away, you get thumbs up and drivers move away when they see you in their mirrors, this vehicle is king of he road, period. I don't miss my old BMW at all, I just can't get enough of that rumble-muscle V8 it's contagious and intoxicating, I think S5 is the best option now and ever regardless of the upgraded RS5 coming up, is way too expensive for just a little extra performance difference and basic A5's are just slow regardless of chips or modifications, and having driven the new S4 I find hard to digest an S5 with such engine regardless of its improved mpg's, V8 is the way to go.
Yeah, the S5 v8 is simply the way to go. The sound of he v8 is simply sex. I'd even consider low mileage s5 v8, if I were you. If you have to buy new, and performance is most important get the S4, but the S4 isn't nearly the head turner the A5/S5, I mean I have to agree with the guy above, literally I have people ask me roll my window down all the time, and they ask is that a BMW, I gasp appalled and say no this is an Audi, followed by, them saying I've never seen an Audi like that, that is sweet looking car. I can't describe to you the attention the car gets, and this after 15K on it and nearly 2 years of ownership. The presence of the S5 is seemly mean, with that engine rumble.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S5/A5

I'm ready to pull the trigger next week on the S but the mpg is concerning. The car cost is a 1 shot deal (company car) but you live with the gas every week. I'm thinking the A5 with a chip & exhaust will be a load of fun even though it doesn't have all the goodies. My A4 1.8T is a blast and 28 mpg.

If I knew the cost of fuel in 2018 that would help. I'm pretty confident it won't be any cheaper.

ordering S5, Premium plus, MT6, brilliant black, titanium pkg, carbon inlays
Old 08-11-2010, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by prncinghrse
I'm ready to pull the trigger next week on the S but the mpg is concerning. The car cost is a 1 shot deal (company car) but you live with the gas every week. I'm thinking the A5 with a chip & exhaust will be a load of fun even though it doesn't have all the goodies. My A4 1.8T is a blast and 28 mpg.

If I knew the cost of fuel in 2018 that would help. I'm pretty confident it won't be any cheaper.

ordering S5, Premium plus, MT6, brilliant black, titanium pkg, carbon inlays
If you have a company car then your gas is already subsidized
Old 08-11-2010, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

A portion of the gas is. Most of the time will be personal, depending on who is asking.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks

I think i have made the decision... It will be the A5.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Good Choice

I like your decision. I'm thinking of going that route myself.

Originally Posted by gvs4
I think i have made the decision... It will be the A5.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by a5_fanatic
Much like the original poster, I'm in this exact situation at the moment. I find myself alternating between an A5 and S4. I won't include the S5 in the discussion because that's out of my range.

I happen to prefer the body style of the A5 over the S4. The ONLY hesitation I have about this vehicle is that it's a 4 cylinder (although it is turbo-charged). I only got to test drive the vehicle for about 5 mins with the sales associate sitting next to me so it wasn't the best way to find out what it could do. Now if Audi dropped the 3.0 litre supercharged engine into this, it'd be a no brainer. However, that's not gonna happen.

With the S4 though, to me it's more about performance than styling. Don't get me wrong, it is a very sharp looking car but I (like some here) prefer the A5's styling (and two doors) over it.

Both are great cars and I'd be happy with either of them.

Price wise, the two can be pretty close once you start slapping on the options.

As for color combinations, Aruba Blue on the A5, Sprint Blue on the S4.
If you're willing to wait, it looks almost certain that the 2012 S5 will have the 3.0 supercharged V6 (the V8 will no longer be offered). So, if you really want that engine and prefer the looks of the A5/S5, that might be the ideal car for you...if you can wait
Old 08-13-2010, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What also helped in my decision making process is that the S5 does not qualify for the 6% supplier discount i can get.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That would be a great combination. Unfortunately it's a long time away and more importantly the price will be out of my range.

Originally Posted by atombomb33
If you're willing to wait, it looks almost certain that the 2012 S5 will have the 3.0 supercharged V6 (the V8 will no longer be offered). So, if you really want that engine and prefer the looks of the A5/S5, that might be the ideal car for you...if you can wait

Quick Reply: Need help 2011 S4 or A5 2.0T