Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Need help 2011 S4 or A5 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by questionlp
The sportback has not landed in the US or Canada (which isn't a huge loss for me, since I still prefer the look of the coupe more. For me: Coupe > Sportback > Cabriolet > Sedan).

We also have a pretty measly selection of TDI engines as well (A3 2.0TDI and Q7 3.0TDI are the only options here). If the A5 had the 3.0TDI and S-line, I would have gotten it instead of the S5.

S-Tronic is also available on limited models (S4 sedan and S5 cabriolet), though Audi is at least updating the Tiptronic transmissions to the new (ZF sourced?) 8-speed transmissions.

I guess we're lucky to even have Audi of America trying to see how many people sign a Facebook petition on bringing over the TT-RS. Granted, they have one less vote because I will not touch or go near Facebook :P
Wow, you missing out on a lot then I guess.

I had a coupe 3.0 TDI S-line for over a week while some work was being done on my old A5, it just isn't the same as S5. Still fairly quick for a diesel engine tho!

Now TTRS, that is an absolutely amazing car. It's better than S5 in my opinion. I went for an S5 because I just love the looks and my old A5 s-line 2.0 was just not a v8

Do you have the RS6 over there? What about RS5?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by maudir
Wow, you missing out on a lot then I guess.

I had a coupe 3.0 TDI S-line for over a week while some work was being done on my old A5, it just isn't the same as S5. Still fairly quick for a diesel engine tho!

Now TTRS, that is an absolutely amazing car. It's better than S5 in my opinion. I went for an S5 because I just love the looks and my old A5 s-line 2.0 was just not a v8

Do you have the RS6 over there? What about RS5?
While an A5 3.0 TDI with S-line would not as fast as an S5, it would be a great compromise between performance and decent mileage. I would also almost prefer the sound of the 3.0TDI over the somewhat muffled S5 V8 (which can be remedied with aftermarket exhausts of course).

The TT-RS definitely has the right balance of performance, size and weight... not to mention, the turbocharged inline-5 would be awesome as an A5 3.2 replacement. We just have the TT and TT-S to ogle over

We had the RS4 and RS6 here, though I don't think we've seen a new RS6 over here for quite a while (the RS4 took the sole "RS" model spot in the US). Although the RS5 has been confirmed the US, it will be sold as a 2012 model and won't be seen until mid-2011.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

While an A5 3.0 TDI with S-line would not as fast as an S5, it would be a great compromise between performance and decent mileage. I would also almost prefer the sound of the 3.0TDI over the somewhat muffled S5 V8 (which can be remedied with aftermarket exhausts of course).

The TT-RS definitely has the right balance of performance, size and weight... not to mention, the turbocharged inline-5 would be awesome as an A5 3.2 replacement. We just have the TT and TT-S to ogle over

We had the RS4 and RS6 here, though I don't think we've seen a new RS6 over here for quite a while (the RS4 took the sole "RS" model spot in the US). Although the RS5 has been confirmed the US, it will be sold as a 2012 model and won't be seen until mid-2011.
Tell me about it, I see more petrol stations these days than my gf!!

TTRS is nice but the general image of TT models are more appealing to ladies over here.

No RS5 till mid 2011!? And here I was thinking you guys the other side of the pond always get new tech before us!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A5 for sure. Not into four door cars
Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tell me about it, I see more petrol stations these days than my gf!!

TTRS is nice but the general image of TT models are more appealing to ladies over here.

No RS5 till mid 2011!? And here I was thinking you guys the other side of the pond always get new tech before us!
Heh... I'll definitely be visiting the petrol stations more often once I get my S5. The only good thing about being in Oregon is that we have have attendants to do the filling (Oregon is one of the few states that do not allow self-service stations). Also, we have fewer stations that provide diesel, as I don't drive by any stations that have diesel during my normal commute; though, there is one by my work that charges an arm and a leg and one not to far from my flat.

I would have to agree that the first generation TT appeals more ladies, but the current gen TT is edgier and I'm starting to see more women driving VW Eos than a current gen TT during my commute.

When it comes to Euro cars, we get the short and spiny end of the stick. Heck, I think we only have less than 40% of the model and engine permutations compared to those available in the UK and the EU (mostly likely true for BMW as well). For Audi, the amount that is sold here is fairly low compared to what is sold on your side of the pond.

I think that leads into the issue of cost analysis and that each drivetrain permutation must be "federalized" in order to be sold in the US. Since the 3.0TDI is not available in the B8 platform, Audi would have to certify and submit emissions data to the EPA and meet CARB standards. At the end of the day, the cost to go through that process would require Audi to sell at least a couple hundred with a minimum of $1000 profit on each to break even. Now, the reason why we have the A3 2.0TDI and the Q7 3.0TDI is that they have stable-mates (VW Golf and Jetta 2.0TDI and the VW Touareg 3.0TDI respectively) that have already gone through emissions and certifications. Same reason why we don't have a quattro version of the A3 2.0TDI (none of the stable-mates have 4Motion or Haldex-based AWD).

Long story short, car availability in the US lives and dies based on sales potential and regulations (safety and emissions). I can understand the absolute need for safety regulations and limiting harmful emissions, but it also makes it harder for both domestic and foreign makers to truly build and sell global cars with numerous drivetrain options.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Heh... I'll definitely be visiting the petrol stations more often once I get my S5. The only good thing about being in Oregon is that we have have attendants to do the filling (Oregon is one of the few states that do not allow self-service stations). Also, we have fewer stations that provide diesel, as I don't drive by any stations that have diesel during my normal commute; though, there is one by my work that charges an arm and a leg and one not to far from my flat.

I would have to agree that the first generation TT appeals more ladies, but the current gen TT is edgier and I'm starting to see more women driving VW Eos than a current gen TT during my commute.

When it comes to Euro cars, we get the short and spiny end of the stick. Heck, I think we only have less than 40% of the model and engine permutations compared to those available in the UK and the EU (mostly likely true for BMW as well). For Audi, the amount that is sold here is fairly low compared to what is sold on your side of the pond.

I think that leads into the issue of cost analysis and that each drivetrain permutation must be "federalized" in order to be sold in the US. Since the 3.0TDI is not available in the B8 platform, Audi would have to certify and submit emissions data to the EPA and meet CARB standards. At the end of the day, the cost to go through that process would require Audi to sell at least a couple hundred with a minimum of $1000 profit on each to break even. Now, the reason why we have the A3 2.0TDI and the Q7 3.0TDI is that they have stable-mates (VW Golf and Jetta 2.0TDI and the VW Touareg 3.0TDI respectively) that have already gone through emissions and certifications. Same reason why we don't have a quattro version of the A3 2.0TDI (none of the stable-mates have 4Motion or Haldex-based AWD).

Long story short, car availability in the US lives and dies based on sales potential and regulations (safety and emissions). I can understand the absolute need for safety regulations and limiting harmful emissions, but it also makes it harder for both domestic and foreign makers to truly build and sell global cars with numerous drivetrain options.
Fairly similar to UK I guess in terms of emission and safety.

So you looking forward to your S5? You will enjoy it. Did you get a manual or a tiptronic? Are you doing any mods?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Fairly similar to UK I guess in terms of emission and safety.

So you looking forward to your S5? You will enjoy it. Did you get a manual or a tiptronic? Are you doing any mods?
I ordered it with a manual (in fact, my first car with a manual transmission and I'm having fun learning with a friend's car) since I am a bit tired of the lack of involvement in driving. Not dissing the Tiptronic or S-Tronic, which the latter is quite nice in the S5 cabriolet, but I kind of want that level of involvement in a car like the S5.

While I have been thinking about getting a Stasis exhaust with the S5, I think I'll hold off on it for now. I'm also considering getting the windows tinted to keep the cabin from getting too hot (by selecting the Black/Silver seats and Carbon Atlas inserts, the interior will be mostly black). I don't have any plans on lowering or swapping out the suspension and I like the looks of the five dual-spoke wheels. Heck, the only two mods that made with my current A4 is the OEM boot lid spoiler and a PhatNoise jukebox (most of the albums that I have and love are in FLAC format, which the PhatNoise supports natively).
Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered it with a manual (in fact, my first car with a manual transmission and I'm having fun learning with a friend's car) since I am a bit tired of the lack of involvement in driving. Not dissing the Tiptronic or S-Tronic, which the latter is quite nice in the S5 cabriolet, but I kind of want that level of involvement in a car like the S5.

While I have been thinking about getting a Stasis exhaust with the S5, I think I'll hold off on it for now. I'm also considering getting the windows tinted to keep the cabin from getting too hot (by selecting the Black/Silver seats and Carbon Atlas inserts, the interior will be mostly black). I don't have any plans on lowering or swapping out the suspension and I like the looks of the five dual-spoke wheels. Heck, the only two mods that made with my current A4 is the OEM boot lid spoiler and a PhatNoise jukebox (most of the albums that I have and love are in FLAC format, which the PhatNoise supports natively).
That's fair enough. I thought of getting manual but after few years with auto boxes I am just too lazy now.

I tinted mine last week and it looks mint. I went for the midnight one, I think it suits the A5/S5 models best. The limo colour is too dark and makes the car look cheap and tacky. I put it on my A5 by mistake and it looked stupid.

I am also thinking of getting the non res milltek exhaust for mine but worried about droning noise since my car is tiptronic.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

S4, will blow the doors off of the A5 really not a comparison. S4, Gas mileage not that bad around 17 mpg hard driving...

If you can get away with a 2 door and don't need the power go A5. Best looking coupe in the class.
S5 would be the call of course if gas mileage not an issue..
Old 08-09-2010, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's fair enough. I thought of getting manual but after few years with auto boxes I am just too lazy now.

I tinted mine last week and it looks mint. I went for the midnight one, I think it suits the A5/S5 models best. The limo colour is too dark and makes the car look cheap and tacky. I put it on my A5 by mistake and it looked stupid.

I am also thinking of getting the non res milltek exhaust for mine but worried about droning noise since my car is tiptronic.
A lot of states have limits on the amount of tint that can be applied on windows, but I don't know how that converts into actual amount of tinting. I would probably be looking at a mild amount of tinting, mostly to keep the car cooler inside rather than tinting for privacy.

I wish I can help you on the exhaust, but I haven't seen an Audi with AWE or Milltek exhausts around here (I've only seen two with Stasis exhuasts, but didn't get to hear how they sound within the cabin).

Quick Reply: Need help 2011 S4 or A5 2.0T