Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

New to boards, thinking of buying CPO A5

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to boards, thinking of buying CPO A5

I have recently decided to downsize from having a fun car and winter beater to just having one car I can drive year round. As you can see by my signature, I have a Dodge Challenger and a Pontiac Grand Prix. I have always been a sucker for German cars and absolutely love the looks of the A5. My Challenger is basically useless at least 4 months out of the year where I live, which I why I have the other car. It is also a 6 speed, which my wife cannot drive. I recently test drove a 2009 A5 3.2L auto and a 2010 A5 2.0T stick shift. I would love the S5, but they are a bit out of the price range I am willing to spend, which is mid to upper 30s. I was VERY impressed with the build quality of the Audi as well as the interior design. It makes my Challenger feel cheap by comparison and my Grand Prix feel like a junk yard car. In terms of performance, getting rid of the SRT for a A5 with S Line package, the only performance I'd be giving up would be straight line acceleration. Otherwise, the A5 was better all around and oh, that grip with AWD! The only thing I did not care for was the lack of feel through the steering wheel as the effort seemed too light. I imagine the S Line option helps this? They had none available to drive at the time. I was impressed with 2.0T, though I would prefer the 3.2L due to its sound and overall more power. It will have to be auto though that 6 speed was so fun. Basically, I am looking at CPO 2009 A5 S Lines. After reading how horrible reliability has been on these cars, especially with carbon build up, I am reconsidering just keeping my SRT-8. Are there any years/engines to avoid. I hear 2010s had some improvements made to them to help stop some of the carbon build up. This problem is not unique to Audi as direct injection engines seem to all be susceptible to it. I just don't want to spend $500 every year to have the valves cleaned out if I don't have to. I know German cars are more expensive to buy/maintain than American ones, but they are much better built IMO. Any suggestions or insight?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I too 'downsized' from summer/winter vehicles (a Jeep and an RX-8) to just the A5 and at the 10-month point of ownership I am still very glad I did. Superlative year 'round vehicle. I do run dedicated rims/snow tires in Winter and coupled with Quattro it's better than my Jeep ever was. With a 2.0T tune it's better than my RX-8 ever was. Interior refinement is of course better than either as well. And of course with one vehicle less annual insurance, registration, excise tax. etc. Go for it and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Would I be better off going with a 2010 2.0T for reliability sake? I think it has an 8 speed auto as well as opposed to the 6 speed found in the 3.2L cars? I heard the 2.0T does not have as bad of a carbon build up problem as the 3.2 or 4.2. Is this the case? Basically, my SRT is still like brand new with under 3K miles on it, and it would cost me about 5K more to go to a USED A5 with the options I want. I agree the A5 is the nicer vehicle overall, but that SRT is a monster. I know if I went with a S5, I would not miss the SRT, but going to a 2.0T from a 6.1L V-8 with 425hp would be a big change.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My salesman at Audi also said with like a $600 tune or chip the 2.0 can gain something like 60hp and 80lb ft of torque! Is this true? In that case, it would smoke the 3.2L since the 2.0T I drove honestly felt peppier except in the high RPMs.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by A5Challenger
My salesman at Audi also said with like a $600 tune or chip the 2.0 can gain something like 60hp and 80lb ft of torque! Is this true? In that case, it would smoke the 3.2L since the 2.0T I drove honestly felt peppier except in the high RPMs.
That's not your imagination - the 2.0T actually makes more power than the 3.2 below 4000 rpm.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah, but it does not sound as good as the 3.2. What about this carbon build up issue I've been reading about on the forums?
Old 01-01-2012, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

One of the main reasons for getting the 3.2 (other than simply not wanting a 4cyl in this car) was to pick up the AWE exhaust and get that amazing sound. Some have had the build-up issue with the 4.2, 3.2 and even the 2.0. Lots of info on this on Audizine.com. I can post an exhaust clip that will help with your decision
Old 01-01-2012, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Post it.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The A5 does not have horrible reliability. Consumer Reports has given it decent ratings since it's inception. As far as carbon build-up, it's not any more documented than most other DI engines out there. Nothing out of the ordinary that I've kept track with at various auto blog sites (Lexus, Audi, VW, etc).
Like all other German cars, Audis are generally quite reliable for the first 3-4 years of ownership. Once the warranty dies and you have a repair, it can be costly to work on. So if you are truly worried, get a warranty that lasts you some time.
Otherwise, dive in and enjoy. The A5 has been one of the best designed cars to come along within the last thirty years. And yes, the interiors are the mark to follow, especially compared to what you currently have.
Good luck!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Apologies for orientation.

http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/...iPhoneiPod.mp4

Last edited by mop1.8t; 01-02-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Quick Reply: New to boards, thinking of buying CPO A5