Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Newbie FreedomPop Sim Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie FreedomPop Sim Help

I'm new to the forum and new to the Audi world. Before purchasing my car, I looked up and down for instructions to get the Freedompop sim up and running in my B8.5 S5, but unfortunately for me I'm still getting a Grayed out 2G icon and no signal. I've activated the Freedompop Sim, and it even assigned a Number (not sure if that matters). I believe my MMI unit is capable to handling the Freedompop sim here in the Mid and North NJ area, but for whatever reason I can't figure it out. Might be my APN setting, might be my Head unit has the modem that can't handle the Sim. I'm sure I need a update to my unit both system and maps.

I've tried various APN setting based on what has been listed online, yet I seem to not have any luck right now.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-05-2019, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,171 Likes on 915 Posts

Subbed to see if you can get this to work...
Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itsbigmeech
I'm new to the forum and new to the Audi world. Before purchasing my car, I looked up and down for instructions to get the Freedompop sim up and running in my B8.5 S5, but unfortunately for me I'm still getting a Grayed out 2G icon and no signal. I've activated the Freedompop Sim, and it even assigned a Number (not sure if that matters). I believe my MMI unit is capable to handling the Freedompop sim here in the Mid and North NJ area, but for whatever reason I can't figure it out. Might be my APN setting, might be my Head unit has the modem that can't handle the Sim. I'm sure I need a update to my unit both system and maps.

I've tried various APN setting based on what has been listed online, yet I seem to not have any luck right now.

Any suggestions?
I have a '15 S5 with MMI 3G+ and I've been using a FreedomPop SIM for about 2 years now. Did you follow these instructions for setting up the SIM?

Activate SIM (if purchased directly from FreedomPop, then it is already activated)
Take out the old SIM
Turn on the ignition
Wait for MMI to fully boot
Install new FreedomPop SIM
Go to Telephone - Settings
Click on Connections
Click on Data Connection
Click on Connection Settings
If APN is set to the factory settings, then change APN to "fp.com.attz" (no quotes)
Keep everything else blank

For me, the old SIM in step 1 was my Audi Connect SIM. I left the Username and Password fields blank without adding a space.

BTW, your software and NAV database versions are a bit out of date. I updated my maps in October of 2017, so there's probably a newer version out. The "P" in your P0566 indicates the original factory install; the "K" in mine is for a dealer-installed update.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
I have a '15 S5 with MMI 3G+ and I've been using a FreedomPop SIM for about 2 years now. Did you follow these instructions for setting up the SIM?

Activate SIM (if purchased directly from FreedomPop, then it is already activated)
Take out the old SIM
Turn on the ignition
Wait for MMI to fully boot
Install new FreedomPop SIM
Go to Telephone - Settings
Click on Connections
Click on Data Connection
Click on Connection Settings
If APN is set to the factory settings, then change APN to "fp.com.attz" (no quotes)
Keep everything else blank

For me, the old SIM in step 1 was my Audi Connect SIM. I left the Username and Password fields blank without adding a space.

BTW, your software and NAV database versions are a bit out of date. I updated my maps in October of 2017, so there's probably a newer version out. The "P" in your P0566 indicates the original factory install; the "K" in mine is for a dealer-installed update.

Thanks for the response, I've been monitoring this thread since I originally posted.

When I bought my car a few weeks ago, it didn't have an Sim Card in it, don't know much about the previous owner. Before I put the new Sim in the Car I reset everything to the Factory default setting via the Settings menu. The Sim is active, and I put the APN settings as listed on the FreedomPop packaging, which is the same thing you just said.

I think my unit might have the older modem in it, I'm trying to go to a dealership to check sometime soon. Also I've tried calling FreedomPop to question if I purchased the wrong Sim via Amazon, but their customer service line is TERRIBLE.

I'll try exactly what you said again, see if it works, but if it doesn't I'll update the thread when I can confirm my MMI Modem and if it can handle the FreedomPop Sim.

Again Thanks for the response.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't mention your model year, but the North American 2013 S5 came from the factory with the P0566 software. My 2014-built 2015MY came with P0733 software. Is your B8.5 S5 indeed a 2013?

I believe the "HN+_US", like mine, indicates that you have an MMI 3G+ system. Unfortunately, the 2013 3G+ is only compatible with T-Mobile and not AT&T. FreedomPop uses the AT&T network. The 2014MY was upgraded to work with AT&T 3G.

There's a lengthy thread on Audizine that you should read for confirmation about this info and for more details. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Connect-Yes-!

Jump ahead to the 02-12-2018 19:47 post by user DrGER.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
You didn't mention your model year, but the North American 2013 S5 came from the factory with the P0566 software. My 2014-built 2015MY came with P0733 software. Is your B8.5 S5 indeed a 2013?

I believe the "HN+_US", like mine, indicates that you have an MMI 3G+ system. Unfortunately, the 2013 3G+ is only compatible with T-Mobile and not AT&T. FreedomPop uses the AT&T network. The 2014MY was upgraded to work with AT&T 3G.

There's a lengthy thread on Audizine that you should read for confirmation about this info and for more details. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Connect-Yes-!

Jump ahead to the 02-12-2018 19:47 post by user DrGER.
Yes, my model year is a 2013. I'll look into a AT&T Option and also check out that thread. Thanks for the response, I need to try to get a refund from either FreedomPop or Amazon for the Sim.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The APN change with a 3 button MMI reboot worked for me., using a FP sim

LTE Connection