Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Ok, I have to say something stupid, just to say it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM
2016 S5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, I have to say something stupid, just to say it.

I'm basically a Porsche guy (still have one), and have been since the 1970s.

As mentioned in a different thread, we just became the new owners of a 2011 CPO S5 with the 4.2L V8.

My gosh... there is pretty much no better sound than the rumble of that V8.

No, I'm not bashing any other model of course - we came VERY close to buying a 2013 with the supercharged V6.

I just can't help smiling when I hear that nice bass tone of the V8 though. I just love the S5. What a great piece of engineeering!

I don't even feel bad about that.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The V8 acoustics are unreal. I'm pushing to get my stasis exhaust installed in January and can't wait. There are times when I'm driving the car and it feels/sounds like more of a super-car. I sometimes fall into this trance where I imagine I'm driving an R8 or something. One day!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, whatever floats your boat! The V8 and exhaust sound obviously means more to you and others. That's great, enjoy. No knock here from a fellow S-Fiver.

As a facelift S5 owner, I was impressed with many other things such as the 3.0 SC, sweet shifting S-tronic dual clutch, flat bottom steering wheel, horizontal grille, DRL's and piano black trim.
The V8 and exhaust sound, although an enthusiast must, was not as important to me.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Hey, whatever floats your boat! The V8 and exhaust sound obviously means more to you and others. That's great, enjoy. No knock here from a fellow S-Fiver.

As a facelift S5 owner, I was impressed with many other things such as the 3.0 SC, sweet shifting S-tronic dual clutch, flat bottom steering wheel, horizontal grille, DRL's and piano black trim.
The V8 and exhaust sound, although an enthusiast must, was not as important to me.
yup agreed. I truly believe the power gains and rev excitement are better in the V6T. drove one for the first time a few weeks ago and was thoroughly impressed. Someone here on these forums posted once that "the V8 is not an entirely exciting engine". And I also agree. It's smooth more than aggressive. Doesn't have the torque throw that I would expect either. I'm not dissing it though, just balancing the advantages/disadvantages a bit.

I chose my V8 primarily because I missed the sound (coming from an e46 m3). I have no regrets and thoroughly enjoy everything about the engine, but the MPG. I travel to Germany alot for work and I'm convinced the V8 S5 combo would be near perfect on the autobahn.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:20 AM
2016 S5

Definitely no slam on the new supercharged V6 for sure. I drove one and was more than impressed. Quicker and lighter feeling than the V8. Beautiful cars.

It came down to one thing for me and that's the $$. I saved $15K all told, and got a CPO car with only 9K miles on it. It just happened to have the V8 in it, so I'm enjoying the sound!

I fully expect that when the time comes, the next one will have the newer drive train in it.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Super 90
I'm basically a Porsche guy (still have one), and have been since the 1970s.

As mentioned in a different thread, we just became the new owners of a 2011 CPO S5 with the 4.2L V8.

My gosh... there is pretty much no better sound than the rumble of that V8.

No, I'm not bashing any other model of course - we came VERY close to buying a 2013 with the supercharged V6.

I just can't help smiling when I hear that nice bass tone of the V8 though. I just love the S5. What a great piece of engineeering!

I don't even feel bad about that.
We just did the same thing (bought a CPOed 2011 V8 S5) and it does make me smile when either of us drive it.

To tell the Complete truth.....I don't feel bad either!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The sound from the engine and/or exhaust is part of the driving experience. Some put little value on this. While others make this a key part of the decision process.

The 3.0T is powerful, economical (considering the application) but lacks a bit on the visceral experience. Yes the can be partly cured with an upgraded exhaust. But there's simply no substitute for sound coming from a N/A V8. Whether this V8 is from the S5, RS5 or even M3.

For today, good that we have options. There's no right or wrong, simply choices.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NHman
The sound from the engine and/or exhaust is part of the driving experience. Some put little value on this. While others make this a key part of the decision process.

The 3.0T is powerful, economical (considering the application) but lacks a bit on the visceral experience. Yes the can be partly cured with an upgraded exhaust. But there's simply no substitute for sound coming from a N/A V8. Whether this V8 is from the S5, RS5 or even M3.

For today, good that we have options. There's no right or wrong, simply choices.
Well put. There is no doubt some people care more about sound than other. I love sound. I spent 20 years finding all the right components for my home sound system. The journey was fun, and now I have spine tingling sound.

I picked my V8 S5 after test driving a new Cayman. The sound of the V8 grabbed me within seconds of accelerating.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:10 PM
2016 S5

Ultimately for me, the sound has no bearing on whether I buy a car or not. It's simply an added benefit. I suppose some people buy cars based on things like that, but not me. It's like many of the people that I work with - they buy Porsches because of the pretty badge on the the hood and the fact that they can say they own one, not knowing any of the heritage or real history behind the marque. I haven't bought Porsches since the 1970s because of the sound of an air cooled flat 6, although it is music to my ears.

I bought this S5 not only because I love the car, but because I understand where it came from. Ask most new/young owners of an Audi if they've ever heard of Auto Union and they'll just say, "What?!" I bought this S5 because it makes me smile... it's like a very quiet rocket ship. It just goes, with no effort and no ostentatious fanfare. The sound of a rumbling V8 is what I view as an added benefit.

R.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

hummm, a Porsche guy loves V8s.....aren't most or not all Porsches 6 cyls?

Quick Reply: Ok, I have to say something stupid, just to say it.