Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Opinions Welcome V8 vs V6T

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Opinions Welcome V8 vs V6T

Members:
I am in a bit of a dilema, I am hoping to change my A6 with an S5 (mild case of mid-life crisis I guess, but to be honest I work hard....so I will treat myself). I have read plenty of the threads in this forum as well as looked at most of the Youtube videos available on S5. The dilemma is this: Do I find a well cared for 2010 or 2011 V8 model (I just love the sound of the engine), or do I go with the newer (more technologically advanced I guess) 2013 model with a V6T? I am really hoping to hear some good comments, all of which I sincerely welcome.
Thanks
Dr.D
Old 04-16-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same boat for the last few months...Just upgraded from my A5 to an S5.
I test drove both the v8 S5 as well as the V6 supercharged S5 conv. and S4, and just couldn't bring myself to give up the sound/torque of the V8. Also not a big fan of the new face lift...reminds me of a Kia. Plus I have never had a V8 and figure they are going to get rarer and rarer as time goes on.
Am a big technology guy but still felt comfortable skipping out on the new tech on the 2013 model.

Originally Posted by Kidentist
Members:
I am in a bit of a dilema, I am hoping to change my A6 with an S5 (mild case of mid-life crisis I guess, but to be honest I work hard....so I will treat myself). I have read plenty of the threads in this forum as well as looked at most of the Youtube videos available on S5. The dilemma is this: Do I find a well cared for 2010 or 2011 V8 model (I just love the sound of the engine), or do I go with the newer (more technologically advanced I guess) 2013 model with a V6T? I am really hoping to hear some good comments, all of which I sincerely welcome.
Thanks
Dr.D
Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you! I am glad you said something about the new LED (?) lights on the 2013, I just don't "dig" them, it looks too "tamed down" for my taste!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Strictly from an engine standpoint, you'd be much better off with a supercharged 6 than a naturally aspirated 8 if you're ever going to have the desire to increase the power of the car. The supercharged 6 will be much easier and much less expensive to make faster.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beakerz
Strictly from an engine standpoint, you'd be much better off with a supercharged 6 than a naturally aspirated 8 if you're ever going to have the desire to increase the power of the car. The supercharged 6 will be much easier and much less expensive to make faster.
Agreed, you don't get the same screaming R/RS V8 in the S so if you're on the wall you'd be better off with a more economical and tune-able V6.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

....And that's the dilemma......the V8 will only be available from now on on the "higher" $$$$ models, and at this point in my life, I am not really "too worried" about gas milage, so the V8 is "very" tempting (never owned a V8 car before). Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kidentist
....And that's the dilemma......the V8 will only be available from now on on the "higher" $$$$ models, and at this point in my life, I am not really "too worried" about gas milage, so the V8 is "very" tempting (never owned a V8 car before). Anyway, thanks for the input.
You're not on the fence at all, you need the V8 obviously, you're against any idea of the V6 and hoping we'll all say "go V8" for back up

Buy my RS4, order an RS5, get a nice used S5 even, but don't get a V6 and live forever dreaming.

Is that better?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would agree with you about 90%, I will hopefully be looking/driving one (2010 S5) this weekend and that may help me make up my mind. The local dealer has a 2012 S4 so I guess I could use that as a comparison for the V6T. You guys are the best. Thanks again. I may have more questions though, but I will say Audi makes a great car (I love my A6....its been trouble free for almost 3 years).
THANKS!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good luck, my RS4 of nearly 5yrs has been trouble free (except a carbon clean) and it was a real "keeper", until the RS5 has finally come. I will have big trouble letting it go, seriously.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

the 6 is faster

so are you buying it for driving or for show

if for driving, get the 6

if it's for show, get the 8 since it sounds better

Quick Reply: Opinions Welcome V8 vs V6T