Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Possibly the 2nd biggest financial mistake of my life.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possibly the 2nd biggest financial mistake of my life.

Hi, I'm Mike, and I'm kind of impulsive.

I've had 2 dream cars in my life. the first was a '66 nova supersport. the second, well, I've been dreaming about the 2013-ish RS5 since the day I first saw it. It was always more of a pipe-dream than anything else, something to look at on youtube and fantasize about while i'm bored. so when I saw one for sale just down the road a bit, I almost tripped over my own feet to test drive it to make sure the model itself was comfortable enough for my 6'6" 260lb frame, which is obviously a concern I've had and which has prevented me taking ever getting one too seriously. I had zero intention of buying it, this was supposed to simply be a scouting mission of sorts, to make sure the car really was what I had always imagined. Scale can be weird for folks my size and knowing my luck you'd have to use a crowbar to get me into the drivers seat. hard to tell in a video, so i just wanted to be sure.

And then i saw her. In person. i could feel the butterflies in my belly, which had been slowly becoming more and more noticeable as i got closer and closer, were now threatening to burst out of my throat in a fluttering cloud of giggles and embarrassment.

Her slightly rounded hips teased me with hinted grace and power, the glint of sunlight glancing off of one of the headlights gave me the distinct feeling of being winked at. She was a bit bigger than expected. "Good" I growled, "I like em thick". i did a slow walk around, taking her all in, noting some road chips, but nothing major. the headlights were clean and clear, the rims dusty but not grimey. a very small door ding from some ******* in this beauty's recent past that didnt deserve to be anywhere near her much less touching that otherwise perfect surface. oddly, i noticed some fingerprints on the edge of the door and lower drivers side window. why the hell do i have the sudden urge to clean it off? This car is 8 years old. probably more like 9, and i'm worried about some fingerprints? it isn't even mine!

And then I sat. once i fiddled with the chair controls a bit, she engulfed me in a soft hug with plenty of leg room and no sharp edges to rub against my legs which is such a common issue for me. that, mixed with my head not scraping the ceiling, and the welcoming scent of well maintained leather got me drooling. it was so clean. no cracks in the leather, no worn spots from entering and exiting on the driver's side. it was gorgeous. i just sat there for a minute reveling in the fact that i was sitting in the very car i thought i could never have. i gently ran my finger along the stitching of the steering wheel, felt its flat bottom ( oh, the irony ) and well curved grips. "she fits like a glove" i whispered to myself, starting to feel the butterflies again. Her previous partner loved her, that was obvious. it made me wonder why they parted. probably some newer flashier model, the poor thing was abandoned. heartbroken.

then I was handed the key. i pushed the button and heard her greet me with a heavy growl followed by a rumbling purr i could feel in my chest. "She sounds hungry" i thought as i let the sound wash over me. not so loud as to be irritating or uncomfortable to me, more reassuring somehow. as we started to pull away, i was surprised by how tame she seemed. I was expecting to have to be worried about pushing the pedal just a little too much and accidentally chirping the tires or something with this poor little 5'2" waif of a salesgirl sitting there looking terrified. but no, she gently pulled away showing unexpected restraint, as if she knew we couldn't play yet.

it felt like the calm before the storm.

we pulled onto the road with a gentle but deep rumble that promised the world and beyond. we drove on a curving access road for a few, getting to know each other a little, flirting here and there, then merged onto the highway. this is where i felt the first real hint of what lay in store for me. it was effortless. like she knew exactly what i wanted and how to get me there with ease. comfortably, without fanfare. oddly, there werent that many cars on the road, and i had seen the drive mode button while i was soaking in her presence before i started her up. i probably shouldnt have done it cause i think i scared the poor little thing cowering in the seat next to me half to death. "why is she so tense?" i wondered offhand. I was barely even making her purr. I pushed the button until i saw "Dynamic" and was like, "ok, lets try that out" when all of a sudden, it downshifted and i was greeting with a sound i've only ever heard on a racetrack. while my heart soared, hers just about jumped out of her mouth. it took her a second of sputtering to realize that nothing broke, the car just... changed. No longer were we floating along on a cloud of seeming normalcy, quiet and unassuming. Now it was as if she had hiked up her tantalizingly short skirt and decided to show me a lil something. i couldnt help but respond, begging her for more. i pressed the gas pedal, not slowly. insistently, but not harshly. I was rewarded by the most glorious sound i've ever heard from a car. it was like a chorus of angels just appeared in the backseat, singing a song of victory. in seconds i was flying like never before. the unreal scream of the engine, the wind swirling like a tiny troupe of ballet dancers in the cockpit, .

that was it. i was helpless. she had me firmly under her spell. at that point, i would have emptied my entire bank account for just a little more time with her. Tonight, she's sitting in my driveway calling to me even now, after burning through a full tank of gas in less than 24 hours from me taking multiple trips out today for trumped up "errends". so many, in fact, that my right foot/ankle/lower shin muscle hurts like hell.

She has 114k miles on her, and i couldnt give half a sparrows fart in a typhoon. that car is amazing and i'll die with it if i have my way.

i took her to the dealer to get some clarity on what all is required for maintenance as ive heard Audis are particularly expensive to maintain and i had no maintenance record for it. amazingly, she had been taken to the dealership for service and they had records of it all. right up until about 85k miles. they had done almost all of the maintenance. it's behind quite a ways, assuming it wasnt taken anywhere else, so i'm going to be very ginger with her for now, especially with the tranny, until i can get the 115k major service done (which wont be very long) and anything else that is needed. they gave me a price of just over $1900 which didnt include filters or an oil change as those things had been done just previous to my purchase. And i have no doubt whatsoever that there is an audi shop somewhere nearby that will do it for significantly cheaper, but even if not, honestly, i was expecting worse. But i've only had her for a very little while at this point, and i'm wondering if anyone has some useful tips that i should be aware of?

what if i wanted to have the entire powertrain rebuilt? any earthly idea what something like that might cost? i'm expecting something astronomical.
The following users liked this post:
Geodfw (08-03-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting story. It doesn't sound like a mistake to me, and I hope it doesn't turn out to be one. Sometimes you have to let your dreams come true. Maybe you could post some pictures of your new "girlfriend"?
Old 08-01-2021, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by a5.cw
Interesting story. It doesn't sound like a mistake to me, and I hope it doesn't turn out to be one. Sometimes you have to let your dreams come true. Maybe you could post some pictures of your new "girlfriend"?
Absolutely.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a few other forums which are heavy in RS5 content, notably Audirevolution. There's also a Facebook forum, strictly RS5 if you're on the face book. Good group of people in both places and tons of RS5 content. My YouTube channel may be of some help too.
https://tinyurl.com/redmistvideos
Old 08-02-2021, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sweet, thanks man.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Most welcome and congrats on the purchase!
Old 08-02-2021, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

The facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2061524404142551
Old 08-03-2021, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow man lol. I feel honored. Registered last night before i went to bed, woke up this AM with an approved account, went and checked it out a bit and you're like all OVER the place. That supercharger thread is fantastic though i think im a long way from going that deep at this point.

I very much appreciate your pointing me in the right direction and i'll try to not make a nuisance of myself lol
Old 08-03-2021, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm here to help and it's what I do so do not hesitate to ask questions. Facebook too...good group of guys who are willing to help out and answer questions. We all have to start somewhere!
GFunkyGamerGeek (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Welcome to Audi ownership! Great first post and car. Suggest you check out Audi Club. Carolinas has a great chapter. Very active. I am in Georgia Chapter but have friends there too. We do frequent group drives in the NC mountains. Oh- mine is an S5. Had to have six speed manual. I do envy your V8 rumble though 😉

https://audiclubna.org/carolinas/
GFunkyGamerGeek (08-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Possibly the 2nd biggest financial mistake of my life.