Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

pre-owned v8 s5 or new v6 s5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pre-owned v8 s5 or new v6 s5?

Hey,
I've been visiting this forum over the last couple of months as my interest for Audi has grown. I am in the market for a new car, with the S5 being a top contender. I currently have an 08 IS 350 that I bought new. I've always had Japanese cars but would like to venture into the German realm. I'm 28, not married or with kids. I would consider myself to be an enthusiast and I do enjoy spirited driving within reasonable limits. With that said, I was hoping you all could provide me insight as to which S5 I should go with. Like I said, this will be my first Audi, let alone German car.

My dilemma is this: should I get a pre-owned S5 (2009-2011), same some money, add wheels, and maybe some suspensions/engine upgrades OR should I go with a 2013 s5?

What is the general consensus among S5 enthusiasts about the V8 vs the 2013 v6? Also, is there an S5 production year that I should stay away from? What is GREAT mileage for a pre-owned Audi, 2010/2011 (less than 20K? 30K?)?

Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I dont speak for any S5 owners, as I own an A6, but... If I was in your postion,(how does a 28 Y/O get in btw?)I would purchase the 2013 S5. However, I am unaware of your price range and I also dont know which options you would be interested in.

You can get the newest S5 with a superchargerd V6 making 333HP and awesome technolgy. The S5 presents stout performance numbers and great reviews from magazines. This car is very performance oriented but not so much that it takes away from the luxury aspect. (Audi is very good that this) The S5 would meet (as you say) your expectations for performance. And hopefully exceed your's as far as features.
IMO, the S5 is the best in it's class.

Another perk with buying new is you dont need to worry about history, or previous owners, I understand this vechile would only be few years old but.. its nice not worrying.

Overall, whichever you decide i'm sure you will be happy, Audi makes a great vehicle. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

APR and Stasis are coming up with Mods for 3.0T engine in a week...Something to keep in mind while u finalize your decision..

APR has a stage 3 KIT for S5 (4.2L V8) which costs 10 grand...

I would wait until next week to make a decision

Hope that helps
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For me, it was a decision between the absolutely drop dead sexy sound of the V8 vs. a brand spanking new machine with V6. After driving both, I went with the 2013 V6. The supercharged V6 seemed to have a bit more low end torque than the V8. Industry reviews indicate that it handles better due to reduced weight over the front end. And it was new, with no concerns about prior history. From a tuning perspective, the V6 is more easily modded via a simple ECU and pulley change, 400 hp is easily within reach for little effort (and a pile of cash). There are some nice exhaust systems that make the 6 sound pretty good. But the 6 will never sound like the 8. It's kind of like a big Harley V Twin - has a sound all it's own. And the new facelift on the 2013 has its detractors, the thinking is it looks more refined (resembles the non S models) and less aggressive than the previous 'egg crate' grill. I tried very hard to find a V8 with the exterior/interior colors and options that I wanted, and also low mileage. When i did find one, the starting price was close to the list price of a new 2013. So brand new machine, latest technology and ease of tuning (future) won me over. Plus, worked a deal for a Q5 that had just come off lease for my wife, and got 8% off invoice on the S5 as a bundled deal. I have been very happy with the V6. An AWE exhaust system is in the future.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

V6 S5, the 3.0 is a tough little motor and the low end on it is incredible. Also less issues with that engine compared to the 4.2 V8
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
2016 S5

I had the EXACT same dilemma as you. I drove a brand spanking new one with the Prestige package and it's a beautiful car. Then at the other Audi dealer in town I found a 2011 S5 V8 with 9,400 miles on it - a CPO car with everything I wanted on it. Drove it and loved it.

The V8 does have a different feel for sure. The V6 felt a little more nimble I'd say, but the V8 speaks to me. In the dynamic mode, it will flat out haul a## down the highway. When it came to the bottom line after figuring in tax and all that crap, it was nearly a $15K savings to go with the CPO car with 9,400 miles on it. The CPO guarantee giving me 2 more years, sealed the deal. It's a flawless car though, with few miles, so it was a good deal in my case. It's a tough choice!

I don't know that anyone can say there's less problems with the V6.... it hasn't been on the road as long as the V8. The V8 is a solid, well engineered engine and Audi stayed with it for a long time.

Just yesterday we took it for a 4 hour (each way) highway trip and averaged 26.8 mpg for the whole trip. Most of it was at about 70 - 74 mph.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car and Driver

Rather than hearing from a '13 S5 Fanboy like myself

Here is a great article from Car and Driver comparing the two styles.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review
Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive them both. I have the V8 but the V6 can be easily and safely modified to produce more power. For that reason alone, the V6 looks to be better.

Since I believe the engine provides most of the 'soul' of a car, I would drive both. You may instantly prefer one over the other.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the V8. I've driven both V6 Supercharger and V8. At higher speeds, the V8 will pull faster with 354 HP. The V6 only has 333 HP and may feel quicker at lower speeds. The V8 will pull harder at 7500 RPM with 21 HP more.

MPG - I get 24 MPG with the V8 for about 90% highway driving with occasional 100-110 mph, and 19 MPG for city driving. Actually, very good MPG.

Just remember this - the new S5 look, just looks like the new A4 and S4. You put the A4, S4, S5, and A6 - they all look the same. There's no character anymore in the S5, even the engine sounds the same with the S4 and A6 as they have the 3.0.

The sound of the V8, in addition to the unique look of the original S5, cannot be beat. When I visit my friend, he just asked me to drive around the corner, so he and his wife could hear the growl of the V8.

Again, this is my own opinion, and I'm expressing my own taste. Test both and good luck.

Last edited by ayap; 01-01-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayap
Get the V8. I've driven both V6 Supercharger and V8. At higher speeds, the V8 will pull faster with 354 HP. The V6 only has 333 HP and may feel quicker at lower speeds. The V8 will pull harder at 7500 RPM with 21 HP more.

MPG - I get 24 MPG with the V8 for about 90% highway driving with occasional 100-110 mph, and 19 MPG for city driving. Actually, very good MPG.

Just remember this - the new S5 look, just looks like the new A4 and S4. You put the A4, S4, S5, and A6 - they all look the same. There's no character anymore in the S5, even the engine sounds the same with the S4 and A6 as they have the 3.0.

The sound of the V8, in addition to the unique look of the original S5, cannot be beat. When I visit my friend, he just asked me to drive around the corner, so he and his wife could hear the growl of the V8.

Again, this is my own opinion, and I'm expressing my own taste. Test both and good luck.
+1

could not have said it any better myself!!

Quick Reply: pre-owned v8 s5 or new v6 s5?