Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS5 DSG transmission whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 DSG transmission whining noise

I have a 2015 RS5 and the transmission has a irritant whining noise when in idle mode. The dealer already installed some deflectors to reduce the noise, which became tolerable for 5K miles.

Now the noise is even louder and they said it's a normal DSG noise, and they will order other deflector, but I'm afraid that will not solve the issue.

Have anyone experienced similar issue?
Old 05-22-2018, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm adding a video with the noise, which becomes more noticeable when the engine is warm.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

First time I heard about this. There's a transmission coolant line that in some cases ends up touching against the chassis and causing a humming and vibration coming through the steering wheel that goes away when revving the engine. I've so far haven't had the issue and I can't say there is any noise coming from the transmission at idle. All I really hear is the engine idling. The fix for the coolant line hum is wrapping it in some heat resistant stuff. Never heard of dealers installing deflectors.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
First time I heard about this. There's a transmission coolant line that in some cases ends up touching against the chassis and causing a humming and vibration coming through the steering wheel that goes away when revving the engine. I've so far haven't had the issue and I can't say there is any noise coming from the transmission at idle. All I really hear is the engine idling. The fix for the coolant line hum is wrapping it in some heat resistant stuff. Never heard of dealers installing deflectors.
Thanks superswiss, that makes sense because it would explain why the noise is louder when the engine is warmer and also why the noise is back after couple months. I added a short YouTube video:

I would inquiry the dealer about it and keep everyone posted.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkPhantom
Thanks superswiss, that makes sense because it would explain why the noise is louder when the engine is warmer and also why the noise is back after couple months. I added a short YouTube video:

I would inquiry the dealer about it and keep everyone posted.
Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the coolant line buzzing against your chassis. It starts around 1000 rpm and below, but goes away above 1000 rpm. That's pretty much what folks who had this issue reported.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:03 PM
Banned

Did you get it fixed? I have exact same issues with you!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Nathan Z.
The dealer applied a repair but it never gets perfect. There's a small vibration at the steering wheel in low rpm. In long trips sometimes you can hear the noise louder probably due to the transmission temperature changes.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2014 rs5 has the same issues now and one audi repair shop told me it’s about the secondary air pump. Did you ever try wrapping the transmission coolant line in some heat resistant stuff?
Old 02-28-2020, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Nathan Z.
hi, did you ever get fixed?
Old 03-16-2021, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Subscribed...

I just purchased a 2013 RS5 last week, and while everything seems to operate perfectly, I have had a few occasions where I wondered "what is that humming/whining sound?". It is not there when the car is still "cold", so this could be the same as discussed here! Does anyone have some photos to show where exactly this is, and perhaps how your own attempts to "repair" are done?

Quick Reply: RS5 DSG transmission whining noise