RS7 vs RS5 - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

RS7 vs RS5

Reply

 
 
Old 05-02-2014, 02:41 PM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 79
Default RS7 vs RS5

If money weren't an issue nor practicality, which would you choose the RS5 or the RS7???
knightriderRS5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:59 PM
  #2
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,088
Default

Honestly, both. They are completely different cars. I would have the RS5 for daily driving, track and canyon run duties and then an RS7 for when I need to haul passengers. The RS7 is a big floaty car unless you get the DRC, but then you are quickly in R8 territory and I would get an R8 V10 Plus instead, but with the air suspension, the RS7 is a straight line Autobahn cruiser and we don't have an Autobahn in the US.
superswiss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:43 PM
  #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 79
Default

Yeah I agree I have an RS5 myself but me and a friend can't decided which looks better the RS5 or the RS7
knightriderRS5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:54 PM
  #4
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,088
Default

Originally Posted by knightriderRS5 View Post
Yeah I agree I have an RS5 myself but me and a friend can't decided which looks better the RS5 or the RS7
Well, I didn't even get into looks. I don't like the 7 as far as looks are concerned and seeing the RS7 in person didn't change that. The more I see them, the less I like them. Honestly, if I needed a fast family hauler sedan, I would probably go for the S8. It's a shame that we don't get this in the US.


Last edited by superswiss; 05-02-2014 at 04:59 PM.
superswiss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 PM
  #5
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 73
Default

RS5. I currently have an S4, I test drove an S6, S7, and RS5 before ordering the RS5. To me, the 6 and 7 are just too "big" to be a true sportscar. I understand they're in the "luxury sports sedan" segment, but part of having a fun, fast car (to me) is having it be small and nimble.

Just my opinion, and that's not to say I wouldn't get used to the bigger RS7 if I went that route. I will admit that the RS7 on paper kicks the RS5's ***!
Egan917 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:00 AM
  #6
Audiworld Junior Member
 
one_tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 45
Default

Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
Well, I didn't even get into looks. I don't like the 7 as far as looks are concerned and seeing the RS7 in person didn't change that. The more I see them, the less I like them. Honestly, if I needed a fast family hauler sedan, I would probably go for the S8. It's a shame that we don't get this in the US.

+1 - I need this.
one_tracker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 AM
  #7
AudiWorld Member
 
ChipB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 365
Default

Originally Posted by Egan917 View Post
To me, the 6 and 7 are just too "big" to be a true sportscar.
The RS5 is also too big to be considered a sports car. It's a GT. A sports car has only 2 seats (Porsche 911 excepted), is a bit impractical with respect to trunk size, and should weigh no more than about 3000 pounds. Think Mazda MX5, Porsche Cayman/Boxster, BMW Z4, Lotus Esprit, Chevy Corvette, etc.

But I do agree - the swooping back of the 7 is not my favorite design feature. I think the 5's body still looks sexy even after 6-1/2 years of production.
ChipB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:58 AM
  #8
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,088
Default

Originally Posted by ChipB View Post
The RS5 is also too big to be considered a sports car. It's a GT. A sports car has only 2 seats (Porsche 911 excepted), is a bit impractical with respect to trunk size, and should weigh no more than about 3000 pounds. Think Mazda MX5, Porsche Cayman/Boxster, BMW Z4, Lotus Esprit, Chevy Corvette, etc.

But I do agree - the swooping back of the 7 is not my favorite design feature. I think the 5's body still looks sexy even after 6-1/2 years of production.
+1.. I think a lot of people have troubles with this and buy the RS5 for the wrong reasons. The RS5 is indeed a GT. A GT is designed to drive long distances at high speeds and in comfort, but still be extreme fun and with sports car like handling for to twisties and the occasional track day. It's supposed to be practical enough for a weekend out of town for 2 with luggage. If you buy an RS5 for any other reason, you are shopping the wrong car.

The 6 and 7 are executive sport limos designed to drive long distances at high speeds and provide comfort for 4-5 people. They are more floaty and not really at home on the twisties or the track. The RS7 at least can be had with DRC to make it handle more like a sports car, but it's still a big car.
superswiss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 AM
  #9
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Boostinfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 56
Default

I don't understand peoples fascination with 7 series... It just looks butt ugly from the rear and side... Front I like, but that's it.
Boostinfd is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Pdvsa
Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8)
26
03-01-2016 07:31 AM
G_in_A8
RS 7
18
01-26-2016 01:00 PM
UmbroVR6
Parts For Sale
11
12-03-2015 11:44 AM
markN1689
Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8)
7
10-01-2015 08:07 PM
Alaatin61
RS 7
0
09-27-2015 12:14 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:48 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: