Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Are s5 cabs not selling

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
The S5 Coupes do look nicer, but that doesn't really matter to me when I'm cruising along with the top down in 60+ degree sunny weather. ;-) If it did I wouldn't have given up my A5 S-Line. If the A5/S5 had a fully opening sunroof I might have thought twice.

My choices were the S5 Cab, the 3 series vert or the G37 vert. IMO, the 3 series has a boring interior and the G37 has no trunk space. Neither has the quality feel of the Audi. I Also, love the engine in the S5 Cab.

True Audi does have he best interiors in the business of the Big 3, actually, design wise I think they've taken it to the next level, fit and finish the S5 feels like a $100K car. I heard that VAG employees lot's of women on their interior design appointments And we all know when it comes to decorating men just weren't born with that trait. And you can definitely see it in the littlest of things, aluminum trim around something as simple as the mirror adjusting button, or the feel of the button itself, that's the level of quality detail, Audi actually has a name for it, can't remember it now.

As for the opening roof, it would be impossible to put an opening roof in the S5 and keep the roofline, aesthetically it's unfeasible, the roof is far too low, and I understand now after having the car, why they didn't, thought I'd miss it but the car just looks too right to mess it up over the sliding glass roof. Note, the 6 series also doesn't have sliding roof, actually, most true coupes can't because the roofline is too low. They could slide the glass outside, but that's not only dangerous but ugly. Check out the MB S Series, roof open, just looks tacky with it sliding outside.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

My own personal feeling is that the A5/S5 Cabs will appeal mostly to current Audi owners. I know when I first went looking for a convertible and the salesman told me the A5 would come with a soft top I wasn't interested. It was only after owning an A5 Coupe and having an appreciation for the car that I was sold. I think many mainstream buyers shopping the A5/S5 price point consider hardtops on convertibles almost a necessity these days.

Case in point, I was driving with the top down today and a guy at the stoplight next to me asked me if the S5 was a hardtop convertible. When I told him "no, it's a soft top but it is as quiet as a hardtop" it seemed like he immediately ruled it out in his mind. He said he was waiting for the CTS Coupe to come out next summer and supposedly there would be a convertible version as well.

I chose the S5 Cab because I knew how great the car was and because I travel a lot and need the luggage space. Most people probably don't care about space. That's fine with me... fewer S5 Cabs on the road. It's still in good company, considering Aston Martins, Maseratis, Porsches, Jaguars, etc. still come with a soft top!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is unfortunate that not many people realizes how much of an engineering marvel the B8-S5 Cabriolet truely is. With the top up, the car is as quiet and civilized as any other luxury vehicles out there on the market, sedans or sportscars. The benefit of having the extra luggage room in the trunk with the use of the soft top, is nothing short of brilliance in today's car design. It IS a convertible that can really be used as a daily driver, which is the main motivation behind my decision in acquiring the car.

As for its styling. IMO, while it is true that with the top up, the coupe has an edge with its free flowing and uninterupted lines, but the cabriolet is in no way offensive to look at. With the top down, the S5 cabriolet have just the right blend of panache, elegance and sophstication to easily rival not only its coupe sibling, but also cars from Infiniti, Lexus, Jaguar, MB, BMW, Aston Martin, Bentley, Maserati and even the newly released Ferrari California.

And last but certainly not the least, the open top experience a true convertible can offers, is simply not something that any car can compete against, regardless if it has the over-sized sun/moonroof, targa or T-Top.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PARealtor
I was on cars.com and autotrader.com the other day and did a search for new S5 cabs. To my shock there were 92 in the country. Are they not selling as well as audi thought? My local dealer has had the same white S5 cabl that I test drove back in November on his lot and its still not sold. And the strange part is they are still looking to get MSRP on the car. its been there since they came out. anyone else experiencing this at their dealer.
Strange if they're not selling in the US. There's a world-wide shortage of S5 cabrios (not A5 cabrios though).
Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ACSGP
Strange if they're not selling in the US. There's a world-wide shortage of S5 cabrios (not A5 cabrios though).

where did you read this? I dont doubt they are selling. Its a brand new car and they should be selling. But it just seems strange that two dealers in my area have had the same cars on their lot now for over 2 months.

I know people arent anxious to shell out close to $70K for a loaded S5 cab (I know Im not) unless youre getting it the way you want. I just wonder how many more audi would be selling if they offered it with a stick.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My car isn't a weekend car for me (from May. to Oct.) and the trunk space is quite nice compared to the 3series and the Infiniti G. I had a Solara and wanted a stiffer car that didn't shake and shudder. That car had lots of trunk space for trips to Costco or a ride to the airport with luggage. I thought for sure I'd get the IS250C but the uncomfortable seat and the tiny trunk were a turn off. The styling is questionable too. The G convertible is gorgeous looking but the trunk was a joke.

The A5/S5 Cabs are very quiet despite the fabric top and it keeps the lines perfectly proportioned. I love the fact that I can move the top while driving. People don't like waiting for the top to finish when the light changes. Yes, the roofline is not as beautiful as the coupe but it's all in what you want.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say the current economy status, vehicle price tag, winter season and the polivalency of the vehicle itself would be the factors behind poor Cabriolet Sales on either A5 or S5 trims.

By the way.. RS5, RS6 won't be comming to the US according to a european source.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

[QUOTE=PARealtor;23913457]where did you read this? I dont doubt they are selling. Its a brand new car and they should be selling. But it just seems strange that two dealers in my area have had the same cars on their lot now for over 2 months.

/QUOTE]

Didn't read about it, trying to order one. It could be the credit market hangover in the States, or winter, or both. Elsewhere in the world, allocations of S5 cabrios are hard to come by. There's a 5 mth waiting list here in Singapore.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
People don't like waiting for the top to finish when the light changes. Yes, the roofline is not as beautiful as the coupe but it's all in what you want.
You could pull to the curb and do it at more leisurely pace and feel less pressured I suppose.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

but with this car, i don't have to! that's the beauty of it all.

Quick Reply: Are s5 cabs not selling