Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 purchase- fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 purchase- fair price?

The R8 post below lead me to Jim Ellis in ATL...found a 09 Audi S5 EXACTLY as I want, very hard to find any in Midwest period.... after 6 months will only get my exact choice.

MSRP is $59,465, invoice is $55,892.
Thinking of offering $56,392 ($500 over) as I have to fly down and drive back...

Fair price??? Are cars moving in ATL??? I want to be fair, but aggressive.... or should I offer invoice, see where it goes...

Within 300 miles of me, very slim selection, would have to settle... which I won't in this market!!!

Thx to the advice offered here, has been very informative, now time to start negotiations...
Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'd offer invoice and see what happens.

Why negotiate against yourself from the get go?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Was thinking same... thx for confirming that!!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What I would do...

Start at invoice PLUS free audi care thrown in.

See where that goes. Its an anchor in the negotiation and you will get a feel for how hard he moves your way. My guess is he won't go for that and you will likely end up somewhere in the middle. I think they get a subsidy on the audi care so get that thrown in.

Shipping can be cheap so check that first. Some times these dealers have deals with shippers and might only be $500 or so - cheaper than a plane ticket and fuel + mileage. Maybe see if they will throw in free shipping.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You might ask the correct regional forum for more insight as to whether the dealer

will budge and how they are to work with. If demand is still good there, and you go in offering too low, they might not negotiate at all - assuming you are just playing around.

I know this was normal when I sold cars. We'd politely tell them that it appeared they had not finished shopping, and that we would be more than happy to listen to a more realistic number when they were ready. They would usually ask what that number was, but as far as the dealer was concerned we were done negotiating with them for the day. It just wasn't worth banging our heads against the wall for hours, and still almost never make a deal.

I'm not suggesting this will happen, but it is something you need to be prepared to happen, given that people claiming to get invoice deals are still quite rare. And remember that this is the internet, so anybody can claim anything they wish when it comes to deals. So take us all with a grain of salt ;-)<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/southeast/">https://forums.audiworld.com/southeast/</a</li></ul>
Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I doubt they'll do it. But if they will good for you.

I know we wouldn't. We had a used S5 that lasted 72 hours last week.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thx all for the input...

AofC, I may contact you if things don't work out...
Old 02-18-2009, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default lol unless they're desperated then they would do 500 over invoice...

i can't picture yourself giving them anything less than 1k over invoice to drive the car home
Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I do think putting Audicare on the table uncluded is a good idea. $500 over invoice

for exactly (emphasis on exactly) is excellent. The drive back is easy and will be fun through the mountains (Tenn and KY).
Old 02-18-2009, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They are still selling over MSRP in my neck of the woods.

Quick Reply: S5 purchase- fair price?