Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 Sports Diff is it critical to have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered mine with it. Didn't think I noticed it until I took the car to Blood Mountain Georgia. Soon as I started throwing the S5 around those curves, I could tell the car was turning so much sharper than I had expected. I was a little unreal how I expect the car car to push some, but instead the car's nose would duck in and the car would sling shot out of the hairpin. Glad I ordered it.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NHman
I don't believe that it can be added. Certainly not without significant cost. The Sports Differential hardware is one piece. There are also updates to the electronics as well. You may want to see what the trade-in value is towards a MY13. Even though first year depreciation could be cost-prohibitive.

STaSIS does offer a differential for your car but it replaces your existing torsen unit.
When you read the description of what that STaSIS unit does, it sounds like a pretty good alternative. I'm not wild about the idea of trading in my 2012. I just put an AWE Tuning Touring exhaust on the car and I have to admit I'm pretty addicted to that V8 sound. Plus, I've got a pretty rare color combination. As far as I know, the Monsoon Gray with Tuscan Brown interior combination was only available for 2012. The last time I had it at the dealer for service they contacted me a few days later trying to buy it back from me because of the rare color combination (they were probably just trying to sell me another car, but, still - that's never happened to me before).

Anyway, thanks for the info, but, I think I'll just grab a Lotus Elise for autocross and keep my S5 as is (well, except for adding coil overs, wheels, and spacers).

Matt
Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the sport diff on my MY13 based on all the positive comments for it on these forums and others and I'm glad I did. I do a lot of highway driving so the only curvy roads I see on a regular basis are on-ramps. Whenever I'm on a sharp curve ramp, I really lay into it and I chicken out well before the car does. The amount of control is astounding.