Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 stinky air conditioning at startup

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default furthermore,....

Since Ive had the car, it's been about 80-90 degrees and dry as a bone. Plus, the pollen and stuff cleared out like a month or two ago here in NCal.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the same problem on my B7 A4.

Smells like dirty gym socks for 5-10 sec. I too would like to know why.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Funny to see this post. Had the same problem (unresolved) in my B6 S4 and it drove me nuts . . .

After 2 "fixes" from the local dealer, I gave up and learned to live with it. Annoying issue for sure. There was a TSB on the issue (involved spraying anti-mold spray into AC) but it didn't work more than a week.

No such problems on my 335i
Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Mine stinks, too!

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've noticed this musty smell in my A5 sometimes. It was to be expected in my 17 year old Acura, but I was surprised to have it happen in a brand new car. The suggestion to shut off the A/C for a couple of minutes before turning off the engine in order to clear it out seems logical, but the idea of turning off the A/C even for a couple of seconds when it's 105 degrees or more outside isn't very appealing! I think I may just have to deal with the odor and hope my passengers don't think it's ME!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 PM

Default Did people read the other solutions in the URL included...

...in the post by Apil/Verdegrrl early in this thread?? There are other solutions to this issue than just turning off the air conditioner but most of these responses seem to suggest that the article in the URL was not read by most.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1. Turning off the A/C before you shut down helps reduce the issue.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Eh, not sure I'm fully with you on that, at least in this instance...

Well, it's not like they don't have humidity and mold in Germany. And if a car's evaporator coil is susceptible to moitsure retention and microbial growth (as many modern cars' are) then it only takes once. After a few miles of tests, the A/C has a great opportunity grow all kinds of funk on the long boat ride over.

Is that what happened? I don't know. But the point is it's certianly possible to have it happen in a new car. It's not the kind of thing that takes a long time to develop.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S4 in the shop with this complaint today.

I have observed there is no puddle of water under the car though after it is turned off and parked, when it used to do it all the time. I suspect clogged evaporator drains. Never had issues with the previous S4 or the Saab, and I NEVER turn off the AC here in Alabama.

I'm skeptical of the Lysol/Einszett spray stuff just because it only masks the problem, not to mention the fact that you may have mold spores floating around the cabin.

So suggestions are:
1. Check footwell carpeting for moisture. If there is, that could be overflow from the a/c evaporator.
2. Make sure there is water discharging from the evaporator drains.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default I had a new BMW that had a issue with the drain (was disconnected and the floor got

very wet on the passenger side)

I suspect you are right - should be tons of water under your car with the humidity you have - even here in Colorado I get lots of water.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thx for all the various replies...verdict hopefully today

I should get word back later today from Audi service as to what they think is going on. Some last thoughts - it's not that I didn't read the responses here, or check out the links. I'm sure there are all kinds of "solutions" out there for this issue, including the turning off the AC prior to the car idea, but frankly, I've owned a LOT of cars, and AC stinkiness has never been an issue on a new car. It has pretty much always been an issue on an older car, because all sorts of smells get into the system after a while, and who the heck knows what else happens.

But on a brand new car, this is rather distressing, and tells me that Audi doesnt really know what it is doing with respect to the interior cooling system. When you drop major coinage on a car, and then have to tell your friends when they are about to get out of the car "oh, yeh, it's 105 degrees today, but Im going to turn the AC off now for a few minutes" after already apologizing to them for the stink they experienced when they got into the car, it's what I would call a major screw-up in the design of the system and a real disgrace for the owner, who is left wondering why they decided it would be a good idea to choose an Audi in the first place. This is just SO not cool, I dont even know how to get the point across. It's kind of like, here's your brand new shiny automobile --- mind if I take a dump in the front seat before you take ownership? WTF... And this is from day one! If it's bad on day one, eventually it is going to be unbearable.

Quick Reply: S5 stinky air conditioning at startup