Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 V8 forever

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi

Originally Posted by absS5
Why do you say that it is 100% incorrect? Can you really say that? The information is from Audi of America headquarters in Virgina. Either way I don't care which they go with pro's and con's to both, but just stating what has been said from Audi.
May be you are rihgt. But not all info. from Audi is creditable.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Of course thats why I'm saying it can't be a 100% either way....was simply sharing what I heard
Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acadia
I think the issue has nothing to do with the V8 or the V6, neither one would get the DSG that's why it's not in the R8, the torque produced by either the V6 or V8, is too much for Audi's DSG design at the moment. Hence why you saw it in the A3 and TT, but not their upper end cars, surprisingly. Is the S5 cabrio coupe now available with DSG?
uh wut? The reason the other cars didn't get the TT/A3 DSG was that it was designed for transverse applications. There is a brand new longitudinal DSG that has been available in the B8 models overseas for several months now, and has debuted in the S4 on our shores. So a compatible unit exists (on paper at least--whether or not it will mate right up to the V8 without serious modification is a different story).
Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
uh wut? The reason the other cars didn't get the TT/A3 DSG was that it was designed for transverse applications. There is a brand new longitudinal DSG that has been available in the B8 models overseas for several months now, and has debuted in the S4 on our shores. So a compatible unit exists (on paper at least--whether or not it will mate right up to the V8 without serious modification is a different story).
The two longitudinal seven-speed S Tronic Direct Shift Gearbox (or DSG for short) transmissions (both of which are manufactured by a transmission manufacturer called Borg Warner) are the DL550 (with a maximum capacity of 406 lbs/ft of torque/550 newtonmeters or nm for short) and DL750 (with a maximum capacity of 516 lbs/ft of torque/750 nm).

DL is direct longitudinal (which is the DSG transmission for engines that are longitudinally mounted), 550 is the maximum torque capacity of the lesser of these two longitudinal DSG transmission in newtonmeters (550 newtonmeters, which is 406 lbs/ft of torque) and 750 is the maximum capacity of the higher of these two longitudinal DSG transmission in newtonmeters (750 newtonmeters, which is 516 lbs/ft of torque).

The DL750 far and away can easily mate up to the V8 with no modifications what so ever (even more so than the ML600 six-speed manual transmission in the B7 RS 4, B8 S4 and S5 can easily mate up to the V8 with no modifications what so ever).

The ML600 six-speed manual transmission (which is manufactured by a transmission manufacturer called Getrag) has a maximum capacity of 443 pounds/feet (or lbs/ft for short) of torque/600 nm, FWIW. Therefore, the Getrag ML600 six-speed manual transmission can easily mate up to the V8 with few or no modifications.

Of course, the V8 in this case would be the regularly aspirated gasoline dual overhead cam (or DOHC for short) 32 valve (four valve per cylinder) 4.2L fuel stratified injection (or FSI for short) V8 with and without valve-lift or (VL for short).
Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did anyone see the post on the S4 forum on ABT's test of a stock S4 and how much more HP it makes then what Audi is advertising? ABT is saying near 400HP at the crank.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
My error , I read the article a while back, sorry, there were no longitudal DSG's that could handle the torque. Actually, I think it was an article on Audiworld, I'll see if I can find it. Either way, I don't htink there is an issue with DSG being on the V8 or V6, if they haave one now that fits transverse engine mount then these 2 engines are so similar in torque/HP that it's a wash. I'll see if I can find the interview.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by A5_4GP
Did anyone see the post on the S4 forum on ABT's test of a stock S4 and how much more HP it makes then what Audi is advertising? ABT is saying near 400HP at the crank.
I'm not surprised. I've only been driving it for two days. But the V6T/S-tronic drive train is AWESOME. This is a very zippy car and I love the way it sounds. I'm guessing the combo will prove to be quicker than the V8.And I have a V-10 to compare it to. So frankly I don't understand the ringing of hands and gnashing of teeth over the demise of the V8 in the S5. If you'd driven the V6T you wouldn't be one bit concerned.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
I'm not surprised. I've only been driving it for two days. But the V6T/S-tronic drive train is AWESOME. This is a very zippy car and I love the way it sounds. I'm guessing the combo will prove to be quicker than the V8.And I have a V-10 to compare it to. So frankly I don't understand the ringing of hands and gnashing of teeth over the demise of the V8 in the S5. If you'd driven the V6T you wouldn't be one bit concerned.
It's as quick 0-30, after 50 v8 starts pulling away, the V8 sounds better, and is faster, at high way speed the v8 is definitely far stronger and it's not working as hard. The rumble of the v8 can't be beat, the v10 doesn't even sound as good. It's not that the v6 is a bad tranny, it's good, but the v8 is simply more enjoyable for many reasons to many people.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by acadia
It's as quick 0-30, after 50 v8 starts pulling away, the V8 sounds better, and is faster, at high way speed the v8 is definitely far stronger and it's not working as hard. The rumble of the v8 can't be beat, the v10 doesn't even sound as good. It's not that the v6 is a bad tranny, it's good, but the v8 is simply more enjoyable for many reasons to many people.
To be more precise, 0-30, smaller engine with Turbo is about the same with the V8. After 30, gears change much quicker in the Turbo version and start to fall behind by a tiny bit but V8 still can't really pull away. After 55-60, V8 is gonna say byebye to the Turbo.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
To be more precise, 0-30, smaller engine with Turbo is about the same with the V8. After 30, gears change much quicker in the Turbo version and start to fall behind by a tiny bit but V8 still can't really pull away. After 55-60, V8 is gonna say byebye to the Turbo.
Not Turbo....

I was also of the opinion that the V8 would walk away from the SUPERcharged V6 above 50-60 mph. But I have yet to find this documneted as a fact. Given the numbers that ABT pulled on the dyno for a stock S4 I would now question that statment.

Quick Reply: S5 V8 forever