Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 VAG COM settings for voice activated telephone and remove seatbelt chime...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I doubt it, and if they do, they would probably charge $$ for their time...

...but the best way to find a VAG COM is to check in your regional forum, and see if there is anyone close to you, or consider buying one yourself...it is a handy tool to have on-hand!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This particular modification certainly steps on the toes of Audi of America's product strategy.

I'm sure that it wasn't included in the early cars so they could turn it on later in the model cycle as a "new" feature. If dealers do agree to turn this feature on for customers, they may create conflict with AOA. Therefore, the dealer will probably be reluctant to do this mod, but it depends upon your relationship with the dealer and the techs/service writers.

Note that many dealers were unwilling to do the VAG-COM modification that allows you to roll up/down the windows with the key fob. The claim, which I believe was substantiated by AoA-related directive, was that this was hard on window regulators, leading to failures.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Note that this can be done using the physical key in the door lock. Just hold it in the unlock/lock

... position and the windows (and I believe the sunroof) all open/close. No, it's not the same as having it on the key fob, but better than having to jump in the car to turn accessory power on.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default LOL! Remote window VAG hard on window regulators? Laughable at best...

no more wear and tear than using the window switch. If anything, the only impact I can think of is the increased wear on the remote's battery.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh, believe me, I know that. It's total BS, if it's true.

I'm not *sure* it's true that it's an AoA directive, but I have heard this claim before. In my heart, the lack of this function I'm sure is a liability issue particular to the U.S. As in, you inadvertently roll down the windows while it's raining and your car fills with water. Owner sues. A sensible torts system would say "tough ****, owner." Unfortunately, our torts system is anything but sensible in the U.S.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I actually tried this on my Q7 awhile back w/o any luck.

Maybe it's changed since then? I didn't explore it much beyond what I wrote in the post and ended up sourcing the Q7 TPMS sensors for my winter wheels. (I wouldn't have been able to stand seeing the fault in the DIS for ~6 months out of the year)<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/vag/msgs/13095.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/vag/msgs/13095.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 12-20-2007, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default True, but not as "cool" as doing it without touching the car...

...I freaked out some of my co-workers one day in the garage, and they belived that I had voice command. I had my hand in my jacket pocket on the remote fob, and I said, "open windows!" They were amazed to see the windows opening...to this day, they have not figured that one out yet! ))
Old 12-20-2007, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Q7 has a related coding in the instrument cluster as well as the MMI itself...

...which may require changes too to reflect a similar setup like if there is no TPMS installed.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL... awesome.

I also love the touch lock/unlock.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Boston Driver (or Finally or Roswell or Folkie) - are you still tracking the thread?

I activated Voice Control last night - great instructions, thanks! Question: did you try to turn on Voice Control for Radio, Navigation, etc.? These functions are described in the VC manual, but this VAG mod only activates the telephone. It wouldn't surprise me if you had to turn all functions on separately.

Quick Reply: S5 VAG COM settings for voice activated telephone and remove seatbelt chime...