Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Thinking of 2011-2014 S5 manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of 2011-2014 S5 manual

The S5 has been a dream car and am thinking of buying one. What are your thoughts on the V8 vs supercharged V6? What are common problems? I’ve heard nightmares about the V8’s timing chain and guides, but that may be the B7.

Now that these cars are getting older what should I look for? I don’t want to buy one and immediately dump 6k into an engine out repair.

Thanks!

joe from St Louis

Last edited by joew555; 01-15-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a 2015 manual transmission V6. A good friend had a 2009 manual transmission V8. Have driven both of them. In my opinion the V-6 is superior in every way except sound. The V8 rumble of his car was awesome. Drivability and low rpm torque of mine is far better however. You do have to be a bit careful with clutch engagement on these cars. It feels like the clutch is barely strong enough to handle the torque. If you don’t slip it excessively it will last. Mine at 65,000 miles now feels just as good as when it was new.
Even some of the V-6s had issues with the upper timing chain tensioners. Mine were replaced under a service action at about 40,000 miles because there was noise on a cold start. That was not an engine out repair. The updated tensioners have been fine for 25,000 miles now. I expect no further problems. Otherwise the car has been totally perfect with no mechanical issues. Did have to have the SiriusXM satellite antenna replaced when it was new. My only complaint with the car is that the brakes, while perfectly adequate for a street driving or even a fun run through the mountains, are a bit inadequate for track day use. I learned that doing one 30 minute session at Atlanta Motorsports Park. Probably fine for someone just beginning in novice group but I overheated the pads and glazed them in just that one session. I’ve got a set of track pads for it now if I ever decide to track it again. About done with that though. 68th birthday in July :-)
Old 01-23-2022, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for reply - Audi S5 vs TT?

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
I have a 2015 manual transmission V6. A good friend had a 2009 manual transmission V8. Have driven both of them. In my opinion the V-6 is superior in every way except sound. The V8 rumble of his car was awesome. Drivability and low rpm torque of mine is far better however. You do have to be a bit careful with clutch engagement on these cars. It feels like the clutch is barely strong enough to handle the torque. If you don’t slip it excessively it will last. Mine at 65,000 miles now feels just as good as when it was new.
Even some of the V-6s had issues with the upper timing chain tensioners. Mine were replaced under a service action at about 40,000 miles because there was noise on a cold start. That was not an engine out repair. The updated tensioners have been fine for 25,000 miles now. I expect no further problems. Otherwise the car has been totally perfect with no mechanical issues. Did have to have the SiriusXM satellite antenna replaced when it was new. My only complaint with the car is that the brakes, while perfectly adequate for a street driving or even a fun run through the mountains, are a bit inadequate for track day use. I learned that doing one 30 minute session at Atlanta Motorsports Park. Probably fine for someone just beginning in novice group but I overheated the pads and glazed them in just that one session. I’ve got a set of track pads for it now if I ever decide to track it again. About done with that though
. 68th birthday in July :-)
Thanks for the info. If I do the S5 now leaning towards the 2013 and later supercharged engine. I’m still worried about reliability - even regular maintenance is difficult due to the tight engine bay and design. Had been also thinking about a Audi TT V6 manual, since VR6 great engine and parts a little cheaper due to shared platform with Golf.

either way will have to wait awhile. Prices are just insane. High mileage 10 year old cars selling for 60% of their original msrp. Crazy.

Last edited by joew555; 01-23-2022 at 04:33 PM.