Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Trick or Treat? Phantom Black with black, delivered last night.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!
Old 11-01-2007, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

very nice! gotta say Im very impressed with the interior.. looks like it belongs in the bentley
Old 11-01-2007, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So you are the lucky SOB that I have heard about. I knew someone picked.......

up there S5 from Barrier this week. Very Nice, Congrats!

Any first impressions you care to share?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Heh... I have a microfibre obsession. Two towels in the TT, two in the A4.

One for windows; the other for the rest of the interior. Your thoughts are exactly the same as mine with the Piano Black center console. TBH, I'm not thrilled about that design element. Great now; not-so great in 12 months.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

LOL! Oh the plight of neat freaks.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Indeed. I didn't mention the detail brush yet, did I?

Heh.

I can't imagine the frustration of a dark car on Maui. Every time you get it clean, rainshowers come. Oof.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I actually need to get the TT out to Bremerton.

Maybe the S5 can be fitted with a tow hitch. Heh.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lucky SOB? 100% agreed. Impressions? I *love* it. It's definitely a GT car, not a sports car.

<Cross-posting this with the TT forum>

The improved weight distribution is noticeable and the Audi push (understeer) is <i>dramatically</i> reduced. Overall, the drive/performance is awesome and I'm thrilled.

The engine is eager-revving (FSI) and torquey, and just so effortless and silky smooth when getting it up to speed. It's fast - I haven't done a full launch yet, but it is supposed to be able to reach 60MPH in 4.9 seconds. We'll see. But it's one of those "I need to be there, now" cars that can close gaps with alarming ease.

Ride and handling is great, albeit a bit cushy, as he stock suspension setup is on the softer side of sport. Definitely sport, but not sharp. Turn-in and responsiveness is markedly improved from the B6/B7 platform, and although the car is quite heavy, it is reasonably agile. I would not call it tossable, at least, not yet. The Servotronic variable steering is nice when getting groceries, but is still fairly numb and under-communicative in general (this is perhaps the biggest detraction). It firms-up at speed and during aggressive manouvers, but it's still no BMW steering setup.

Overall, the balance is excellent, and the improved weight distribution (engine is moved back several meaningful inches) is a huge leap forward for Audi. Huge. The push, while not gone, is perhaps 85-90% gone. Which is substantial. The revised quattro 60/40 R/F split is excellent, though I have yet to disengage the (two-stage) traction control and really throttle it through turns. So far, so great.

As I compare it to the TT roadster with all my mods (esp. my suspension mods), this car is certainly less communicative and agile, but altogether much more athletic. With the way my TT is set up, it is so responsive and quick. With the TT, though, it's fast but it takes some effort and you are fully aware of your speed; with the S5, it's more effortless.

Build quality and fit-and-finish is phenomenal. Somehow, Audi was able to improve upon a level of quality that I thought was already four steps above the rest of the market.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I completely agree. The car, overall, suggests a much more up-market positioning.

The effect in person is so stunning, in my opinion. The impression you get in person is of a baby Aston (don't worry, I don't think it's an Aston).

This car may not have the subjective performance numbers to beat the competition, but the whole package is heads and shoulders above the competitors.

Quick Reply: Trick or Treat? Phantom Black with black, delivered last night.