Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Uh oh... RS5 in my neighborhood!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mssurrey
Johnny cash - seriously? LOL
And it burns, burns, burns... Very fitting, I guess. That's great!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought the OP will feel better saving something while dreaming of an RS5 in 3 years.

Haha .. was playing Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire .. as I was burning rubber and brakes on the road. The S5's created rings of fire on the road.

Originally Posted by mstams
Cool. So we're talking about $580-725 per year fuel savings at $4/gal and 12-15k miles. I don't know... I'm thinking it's worth it! ;-)
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ayap
Thought the OP will feel better saving something while dreaming of an RS5 in 3 years.

Haha .. was playing Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire .. as I was burning rubber and brakes on the road. The S5's created rings of fire on the road.
Speaking of driving your S5 hard, has anyone else ever run their S5 in an SCCA autocross event? I have participated in a couple of events this summer and they are a blast. I'm planning to pick up a Lotus Exige/Elise for next season, but my S5 got a lot of attention at the events I attended this year. I didn't run the fastest laps, but I definitely won the "prettiest car on the course" competition.

If you are looking for a place to drive your S5 to its limits, SCCA autocross events are a good option.

Matt
Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

have not done that. Is that in Indiana ? Have you timed your run to 1/4 mile? Did you put stiffer suspensions?

Originally Posted by AcuraToAudi
Speaking of driving your S5 hard, has anyone else ever run their S5 in an SCCA autocross event? I have participated in a couple of events this summer and they are a blast. I'm planning to pick up a Lotus Exige/Elise for next season, but my S5 got a lot of attention at the events I attended this year. I didn't run the fastest laps, but I definitely won the "prettiest car on the course" competition.

If you are looking for a place to drive your S5 to its limits, SCCA autocross events are a good option.

Matt
Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, the autocross events are put together by the Southern Indiana Region SCCA club. The recent events were held in Evansville, IN but they sometimes use an airport runway in Lawrenceville, IL.

My car currently has no mods and I used OEM tires. I don't even have the sports diff. (I really regret not adding the spots diff. when I ordered my S5.) I let one of the veteran drivers run some laps in my car so I could ride along and get an idea what my lap times should be. He was really impressed with the handling (and the sound).

If you are interested in trying autocross, there's probably an SCCA group in your area. It's a lot of fun. Like I said before, though, I'm not planning to use my S5 next season. I'm going to get something else.

Matt
Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AcuraToAudi
Speaking of driving your S5 hard, has anyone else ever run their S5 in an SCCA autocross event?
I have been thinking of doing this. Seems like a lot of fun. Is it really tough on tires and brakes?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's hard on tires for sure. My OEM tires already look pretty worn and I've only got 5000 miles on my car. Not sure about brake wear, though. So far I haven't really felt like I've been hard on my breaks during my laps.

I think it's worth the wear though. Why own a high performance car if you aren't going to have fun with it?

Give autocross a try if you can find a local SCCA event. They are really fun.

Matt
Old 09-12-2012, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey Mstams ..
I'm averaging around 22.5 MPG now on my S5 - 98% of the time in Dynamic mode setting and easily hitting 95-105 mph occasionally when driving in the highway. This is mixed city/highway. I could do 25 MPG if 95%-98% highway driving (in Dynamic mode), but I'd rather do 100mph+ on the highway and get 23 MPG if there are no cops LOL. I often see a 400+ mile range on my computer when I fill up to full tank, which I always do(see attached). So, a bit better than the RS5's 17+MPG. That was my observe MPG this summer while traveling with my wife and with luggage loaded on the trunk. I've never done long-distance highway travel alone - so 26 MPG is possible without the wife and luggage weight LOL

The only time mine even says 300 on the trip is if I'm driving 100% highway. Otherwise it's more like 220 ... I get about 1mpg average with a 50/50 mix and a bunch of stop lights and hilly drive to work.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow! I think there are several variables for this.

1) you have a stick shift, and I have the Tiptronic.
2) Now Let me ask you - Do you use Premium Gas ? If you do, I have another theory.
I know in many places in California, people use 91 Octane for premium. Here in NC, we have 93 Octane. That could be another factor.
3) Lastly, you probably may have more traffic in CA than NC, in both highway and city driving. I've driven in CA, and even wide freeways have slow traffic. In NC, freeways and cities have much less traffic. In city driving, I go thru 14 traffic lights from home to work to home, you could have more.

Originally Posted by Muhammad
The only time mine even says 300 on the trip is if I'm driving 100% highway. Otherwise it's more like 220 ... I get about 1mpg average with a 50/50 mix and a bunch of stop lights and hilly drive to work.

Last edited by ayap; 09-12-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow! I think there are several variables for this.

1) you have a stick shift, and I have the Tiptronic.
2) Now Let me ask you - Do you use Premium Gas ? If you do, I have another theory.
I know in many places in California, people use 91 Octane for premium. Here in NC, we have 93 Octane. That could be another factor.
3) Lastly, you probably may have more traffic in CA than NC, in both highway and city driving. I've driven in CA, and even wide freeways have slow traffic. In NC, freeways and cities have much less traffic. In city driving, I go thru 14 traffic lights from home to work to home, you could have more.
Yeah, all of that comes into play. I use premium, 91 octane out here. The 7 mile trip from home to work has a bunch of stop lights.