Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Watch out for oil change idiots

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch out for oil change idiots

Had my oil changed at a local place. Within five minutes, got a reading with the low oil pressure light coming on. Just as I pulled into the driveway.

Checked the oil level on the MMI, it came up fine (by the way, WTF, Over? No freaking dipstick but a damn plug? Whose idea was this anyway?

Had a sneaking suspicion that the tech did something stupid. Yes, he did. He shoved the filter in, without bothering to put the nipple bung in the correct spot. Crushed the filter to fit. Good thing I checked his work. Stupid MF.

The only problem, there are NO filters available locally. I was forced to order one from the Bezos fueled juggernaut and it will be here on Monday. Means I am riding my motorcycle to work on Monday. JFK, he had one freaking job, and couldn't get that right. Means I am changing my own oil from now on.

Last edited by KBoltz; 08-05-2018 at 06:56 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 08-04-2018, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default So save the parts and tell the oil change shop.

Originally Posted by KBoltz
[img]https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.audiworld.com-vbulletin/2000x1124/filter_****_up_50acb40a4466eef00d11cca63d91022b3bf 7d362.jpg
Had my oil changed at a local place. Within five minutes, got a reading with the low oil pressure light coming on. Just as I pulled into the driveway.

Checked the oil level on the MMI, it came up fine (by the way, WTF, Over? No freaking dipstick but a damn plug? Whose idea was this anyway?

Had a sneaking suspicion that the tech did something stupid. Yes, he did. He shoved the filter in, without bothering to put the nipple bung in the correct spot. Crushed the filter to fit. Good thing I checked his work. Stupid MF.

The only problem, there are NO filters available locally. I was forced to order one from the Bezos fueled juggernaut and it will be here on Monday. Means I am riding my motorcycle to work on Monday. JFK, he had one freaking job, and couldn't get that right. Means I am changing my own oil from now on.
Theoretically you could force a flatbed back there and watch while they fix it, but it's a hassle on sunday. File a complaint with Yelp or BBB. The key is to document the issue so when/if you have an engine failure due to low oil pressure you have some recourse.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. How long have you owned the car?
2. Why are you taking it to a generic oil change facility?
3. What brand and viscosity oil did they use?
4. What brand oil filter did they use?
Old 08-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
1. How long have you owned the car?
2. Why are you taking it to a generic oil change facility?
3. What brand and viscosity oil did they use?
4. What brand oil filter did they use?
I've owned the car for three weeks. The service oil change message came on. The 55k mile service is coming due and I was being proactive. I've already replaced the air filter, cabin air filter, rotated the tires and reset the TPMS sensors. Checked trans fluid and had them check the diff fluid.
There are ZERO Audi dealers within 60 miles of my home. I used Yelp to find the most reputable place available. I had used them in the past for my Son's GTI and my Corvette, mainly wheels and tires, but they did change the oil on the boy's car. Yeah, so much for that.
Amsoil 10w40 European Car Formula Full Synthetic.
I brought my own filter, a Mahle OE filter.

Last edited by KBoltz; 08-05-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Theoretically you could force a flatbed back there and watch while they fix it, but it's a hassle on sunday. File a complaint with Yelp or BBB. The key is to document the issue so when/if you have an engine failure due to low oil pressure you have some recourse.
Yep, went there today with the filter (I tried to post a pic here but No Joy on that) and spoke with the Assistant Manager. He immediately got on the phone with the manager and opened an issue with their Corporate Office. Since it is a Sunday, nothing will happen until tomorrow. Since I have used them in the past for my Son's VW GTI, and used them to mount tires and wheels on his car, and mount tires on my Corvette, they don't want to lose my business. Or the business of those I work with locally. The old adage, one happy customer tells five or six people. A pissed off customer tells EVERYBODY they know works even moreso with the advent of things like Yelp. That's the hope at any rate.

Oh, and I still have the filter here, saved for any eventualities, good or bad. They also took pictures, and the AM said that the tech would be drawing his last paycheck. That spoke volumes to my wife and I.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done sir! A well season and informed car owner that adopts proactive maintenance habits always scores big points with me. Kudos!
Props for the oil filter choice but have you considered other oil brands? Specifically, other group IV types like, Euro Castrol, Euro Shell, Fuchs, Total and my favorite, Motul?
Which year Audi (and engine) do you have - A5, S5, RS5?
I too am over an hour away from the closest Audi dealership but then again, I never use a dealership unless it's warranty or recall related anyway. I use a local Audi certified guy.
Glad to hear the manager is getting on top of this. Nice to see this sort of responsible service.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pic of filter
Originally Posted by jschrauwen
Well done sir! A well season and informed car owner that adopts proactive maintenance habits always scores big points with me. Kudos!
Props for the oil filter choice but have you considered other oil brands? Specifically, other group IV types like, Euro Castrol, Euro Shell, Fuchs, Total and my favorite, Motul?
Which year Audi (and engine) do you have - A5, S5, RS5?
I too am over an hour away from the closest Audi dealership but then again, I never use a dealership unless it's warranty or recall related anyway. I use a local Audi certified guy.
Glad to hear the manager is getting on top of this. Nice to see this sort of responsible service.
2011 S5 4.2L V8 - got it with 51k miles. My brother and I are Amsoil preferred customers. I used to use Mobil 1 exclusively, but have used Amsoil in my Polaris RZR and we are switching over our three bikes, plus my wife's Chevy 3/4 4x4 and I switched the boy's GTI over at the last oil change.

Having autocrossed and HPDE my Corvettes (I've owned two, plus several Mustang GT's, my wife's old SVT Contour and even an old school Honda Civic Si) I am absolutely **** about being proactive on maintenance. One missed brake job, oil change and you spend a lot more for repairs than what maintenance would cost.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just make sure whatever oil you use meets Audi's oil standard, 502.00. If it doesn't don't use it. I also recommend Motul. The OEM Audi oil is Castrol.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

New filter installed and no issues. Freaking idiots. Amsoil oil meets VW 502.00
Old 08-09-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

BTW, don't trust Yelp.

Quick Reply: Watch out for oil change idiots