Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

What is the difference between Audi Drive Select and Sport Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I visited Germany last week and a local Audi sales rep told me that the sports differential is a complete waste of money. According to him, the sports differntial is only useful during super high speed maneuvers like on a race track. For "off-track driving", even at high speeds and twisty turns, he noted that it is a worthless addition. He literally said don't waste your money on that option which is pretty stunning considering that he is a sales rep. He said that the adaptive dampening option and the drive assist are good/worthwile options to have.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ayap
WRONG ! You just said the same thing I did. A matter of semantics.
Ride height adjustment is NOT the same thing as shock damping adjustment.

Steering torque is also NOT the same thing as steering ratio adjustment.

And Donaldp is correct, both features are only available if you have ADS and not the SD option.

Originally Posted by nicoli
ok so...since putting the car in dynamic drive select mode also selects the "S" sport mode, does the reverse also apply? are they one and the same, dynamic drive select and/or sport mode? (if car is so equipped)
For B8-S4/S5, sports mode is the same as dynamic mode. But I am not sure if that is also the case for the A4/A5.

Originally Posted by Schumi_Tampa
I visited Germany last week and a local Audi sales rep told me that the sports differential is a complete waste of money. According to him, the sports differntial is only useful during super high speed maneuvers like on a race track. For "off-track driving", even at high speeds and twisty turns, he noted that it is a worthless addition. He literally said don't waste your money on that option which is pretty stunning considering that he is a sales rep. He said that the adaptive dampening option and the drive assist are good/worthwile options to have.
I disagree. You can definetly feel the difference that the SD makes, even on daily driving. You can tell just by switching between comfort and dynamic setting to feel the difference. In dynamic, you will notice that the rear end of the car tends to rotate more through the turn as oppose to plowing through the turn. The car also feels more agile as it is more responsive.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I only drove an A5 before the S5, but I can really tell a difference on acceleration through turns or corners. Especially (in my week or two of ownership so far) acceleration from a stop and immediately into a turn in sport mode. The car is on rails and goes exactly where I want. It is something I could not do in the A5.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My sales rep said the EXACT same thing -- "unless you're Mario Andretti or taking it to the track a lot, this is a complete waste of money, don't bother with it. If you're really intent on spending that +$1K on something, then let me suggest..."
Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Brilliant - I will be casually tracking and the 2010 I am looking at has the ADS

So Sport Differential will be put to good use as well. I know its a heavy car but so is my S4 - still fun on higher speed tracks like Watkins Glen.

Thank you all - looking forward to being part of the S5 Forum!

Cheers

Attached Images  
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by leetjon00
My sales rep said the EXACT same thing -- "unless you're Mario Andretti or taking it to the track a lot, this is a complete waste of money, don't bother with it. If you're really intent on spending that +$1K on something, then let me suggest..."
The best thing to do is find a car with ADS or SD and see for yourself. If you can't feel any difference or do not care for the difference in the car's handling charactertistic, then the option is of no use for you. I wouldn't just take the SA's words for it. Keep in mind, they will not give you any sort of credit for buyer's remorse should you later decide that you wanted SD or ADS.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good point - better to have than have not - its a deal as its pre-owned

Hope to close on one shortly. More 2010's coming off lease.

Originally Posted by Tifosi
The best thing to do is find a car with ADS or SD and see for yourself. If you can't feel any difference or do not care for the difference in the car's handling charactertistic, then the option is of no use for you. I wouldn't just take the SA's words for it. Keep in mind, they will not give you any sort of credit for buyer's remorse should you later decide that you wanted SD or ADS.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Agree.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zend
There is no "Drive Select" package offered on the 2013 S5. The packages are:
  • Driver Assist
  • Sports differential
  • Adaptive damping suspension (requires one or both of the previous packages)

With any of these packages, "Drive Select" controls are available. In my S5 with MMI, I have only Sports differential. Acoustics are included.

There are three pre-configured settings in Drive Select : Auto, Comfort, Dynamic. There is an "Individual" mode in which individual systems such as steering and throttle response can be set independently. Acoustics can be adjusted within "Individual" as well.

Of course "Acoustics" may turn out to be a controversial feature in the long run...
I ordered the same sports-diff package only for my 2014 s5...does this mean that choosing dynamic in ADS does NOTHING to the stock suspension/dampers at all? Keen to be 100% clear as deciding on what suspension setup to go with and i understand ADS plays a big role in the decision of coilovers vs springs-only...