Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

* button not working sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default * button not working sometimes

Hi,

2018 S5 SB here. On 3 occasions, I noticed the * button on the steering wheel doesn't work properly. It's set to "Audi drive select" and normally works as expected, re: cycling between the different drive modes.

But on 3 occasions, it does nothing when pressed. And it wasn't a case of it working but the mmi not showing the changes -- it truly was not changing the drive mode.

I did notice on this last occasion that when I held it down for 5 seconds it brought up the screen to configure what it should be set to. It was set to drive select as expected. I changed it to something else and then back to drive select, and it started working properly.

Given that this is the 3rd time it's happened, something must be wrong. And I don't think it's a physical problem with the button itself, give what I described above. Sounds like a software bug of some kind. Anyone else have the same problem?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you try to use the button right after the car just started? sometimes it takes a while for the program to load. Electronic glitches and German cars are no strangers to each other.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Did you try to use the button right after the car just started? sometimes it takes a while for the program to load. Electronic glitches and German cars are no strangers to each other.
About 8-10 minutes into my drive.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had this happen to me once. Same situation as you, had it set to drive select and it wouldn't change modes. Switched it to a different function and then back, and it worked again.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by borisivan
Hi,

2018 S5 SB here. On 3 occasions, I noticed the * button on the steering wheel doesn't work properly. It's set to "Audi drive select" and normally works as expected, re: cycling between the different drive modes.

But on 3 occasions, it does nothing when pressed. And it wasn't a case of it working but the mmi not showing the changes -- it truly was not changing the drive mode.

I did notice on this last occasion that when I held it down for 5 seconds it brought up the screen to configure what it should be set to. It was set to drive select as expected. I changed it to something else and then back to drive select, and it started working properly.

Given that this is the 3rd time it's happened, something must be wrong. And I don't think it's a physical problem with the button itself, give what I described above. Sounds like a software bug of some kind. Anyone else have the same problem?
That happens to me periodically, but I've had so many little software bugs happen to me over the course of ownership that I know the dealership won't be able to fix that I pretty much just ignore them and move on. I used to get pissed off about it, not anymore.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Has happened to me several times. My parking sensors got stuck on once. That was annoying.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:37 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
Has happened to me several times. My parking sensors got stuck on once. That was annoying.

I had that happen last weekend. After a mile of seeing the warnings and a rear view I couldn’t clear on the center screen, I pulled off the road, shut down the ignition, waited 10 seconds and re-started the car to clear it. That worked and everything was fine.

Random gremlin I guess.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We all must really love our German car to put up with all these electronic glitch The Germans and the Japanese should get together and build a car where the German design the mechanicals and the Japanese design the electronics.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
We all must really love our German car to put up with all these electronic glitch The Germans and the Japanese should get together and build a car where the German design the mechanicals and the Japanese design the electronics.
New model's will always have teething issues. Comes with the territory, but you'd think they'd have better coding and think some of this stuff out being German and all.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Not new. This occasional glitch with the star button has been present since Audi first introduced the function a couple of generations back. My A7 was worse, have only had this happen once on the B9 S5 SB in 2 years.

Quick Reply: * button not working sometimes