Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

'18 RS5 Port Hold

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '18 RS5 Port Hold

Short time lurker, first time poster.

Jumping into Audi Ownership Land with a new RS5 which was supposed to show up at the dealership last Thursday after I was told it was on the truck and in transport. Went back Saturday to ask what's up since I hadn't heard anything and was informed that there is a Port Hold on three RS5s and two R8 Spyders destined for this dealership waiting on software updates before they will be released for transport. Has anyone heard of any of the newer cars being held based on VIN/commission number ranges? I know there were some things going on with the RS3s and TT RSs when they were released, but hadn't heard anything about the RS5 models. My purchasing experience so far hasn't been what I was expecting from Audi, so I'm just trying to figure out if it's the dealership feeding me some lines or if there is an actual hold on a range of builds from Ingolstadt that need a tweak before they are released.

Thanks

-steve
Old 05-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

There have been some “rumours” of a throttle / transmission software update that may / may not have been released in Europe already.

i’m sure someone will be able to answer your question is short order.

John
Old 05-20-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've got an RS5 sitting in Houston right now. It was supposed to have been loaded on a truck on Wednesday (05/16), but hasn't yet. I haven't heard of a specific reason why it's not loaded/en route yet, but I do know it's not necessarily uncommon for stuff like this to happen. I have heard of port holds for software updates, so the reason you're hearing is likely legit.

On one hand, it's frustrating because I'm excited and have been waiting for over a year. On the other hand, I've been waiting for over a year, so what's a few more days?

If I hear anything form my dealer, I'll be sure to share here. Where are you located, by the way? Pacific NW here.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I know that there is an MMI update that is imminent to fix the rear view camera issue as well as apparently other stuff. I haven't seen any official confirmation of a transmission update for NA.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm in Atlanta, so she is sitting in Port down in Jacksonville. I had one on order that hadn't been commissioned yet since I had a GT500 to unload to make room in the garage and figured that was a good way to make sure I had time to do all the maneuvering. It finally sold and this RS5 became available so I jumped on it instead of waiting for my order and now I'm just being one of those impatient types I guess. Thanks for the info.

-steve
Old 05-20-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Ask the Audi rep over on AZ. Other people have had port holds in other vehicles and he’s been able to explain why after looking into it.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lots of port holds on RS models. Completely normal from what i hear.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nshttpd
I'm in Atlanta, so she is sitting in Port down in Jacksonville. I had one on order that hadn't been commissioned yet since I had a GT500 to unload to make room in the garage and figured that was a good way to make sure I had time to do all the maneuvering. It finally sold and this RS5 became available so I jumped on it instead of waiting for my order and now I'm just being one of those impatient types I guess. Thanks for the info.

-steve
Hey there ... any word on your car being released from JAX yet? I have yet to hear about mine being held in HOU. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

My car gets into Houston Thursday, so I’m interested to hear how this is going. I hadn’t heard of any other port holds for RS5s (like there was for the 5 cylinder RSs), so I’m kind of thinking this may be the MMI update. Although that would impact a ton of other cars too, and I haven’t seen anything on port holds for S5s or Q7s or other cars that had the camera issue.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just got an email from my dealer, and here is what he said.

The first batch of ordered RS5s are getting additional checks from the Audi inspection team. This was part of the plan from the start and this kind of thing is normal when new cars are imported.

He expects my car in Houston to be released in the new couple of days. I wonder if ones at earlier ports will be getting released sooner ...

Quick Reply: '18 RS5 Port Hold