Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 A5 SB Android Auto + MMI Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 A5 SB Android Auto + MMI Issues?

Hello,
Despite reading through other posts about this issue on AW, the suggested fixes aren't working for me so I wanted to ask fellow 2018 A5 SP S-line (Premium+) owners if anyone else is having these issues:

1) Despite factory-resetting my MMI and Bluetooth settings, and wiping the BT profile from my Google Pixel XL (8.1.0), and carefully re-enabling Android Auto via (3 different) USB 3.0 cables, the "default" BT profile that AA creates on my phone does NOT stay sticky as a "Trusted Device", thereby keeping Smartlock unlocked when AA is active. As suggested in another post, I have been very careful to NOT manually pair my car with my phone (or vice-versa), and I have tried turning "use BT with AA" both ON and OFF to no avail, but the car's BT profile doesn't stay in my phone (I am beginning to wonder if this is an Androind OS issue after all). Anybody else seeing this?

2) About 1-2/week my MMI interface restarts (apparently) on it's own! Not the end of the world per se, but if the MMI is flaky is there an update for it? (it that something only the dealer can do?)

3) Also having the Homelink re-programming (weekly) issue described elsewhere, could these "memory" issues be related via the MMI?

Anyway, I drive 25K+ miles (mostly highway) annually so I'd really like to get AA working for me, as I specifically sought a Premium Plus WITHOUT NAV to save the $3K and use GMaps, not to mention a couple of other AA compatible apps like Spotify...

Any feedback of similar symptoms (and solution?) would be appreciated!
Thanks, Ed
Old 12-29-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been following the Homelink re-programming issues. What color learning button do you have and can you describe the exact process you used to program it?

I haven't had much of a chance to play around with AA, but expect I will once the trial period has expired.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Scott Chapman
I've been following the Homelink re-programming issues. What color learning button do you have and can you describe the exact process you used to program it?
Hi Scott. I followed the on-screen MMI instructions and am able to successfully program the remote botton I. Problem is that after a few days, the programming appears to vanish and I have to re-program again...
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I just realized I hadn't added the MMI BT as a trusted device to my Android, so I'll try it out and get back to you. I am running Marshmallow, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

I had just been unlocking the phone and connecting it via USB. Also, my phone is set to default to 'charge only' with USB connections. Can you still activate AA while this is on? Or do you have to allow data transfers? I thought I would need to change that every time, but I've found that's not the case.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunner1737
Hello,
Despite reading through other posts about this issue on AW, the suggested fixes aren't working for me so I wanted to ask fellow 2018 A5 SP S-line (Premium+) owners if anyone else is having these issues:

1) Despite factory-resetting my MMI and Bluetooth settings, and wiping the BT profile from my Google Pixel XL (8.1.0), and carefully re-enabling Android Auto via (3 different) USB 3.0 cables, the "default" BT profile that AA creates on my phone does NOT stay sticky as a "Trusted Device", thereby keeping Smartlock unlocked when AA is active. As suggested in another post, I have been very careful to NOT manually pair my car with my phone (or vice-versa), and I have tried turning "use BT with AA" both ON and OFF to no avail, but the car's BT profile doesn't stay in my phone (I am beginning to wonder if this is an Androind OS issue after all). Anybody else seeing this?

2) About 1-2/week my MMI interface restarts (apparently) on it's own! Not the end of the world per se, but if the MMI is flaky is there an update for it? (it that something only the dealer can do?)

3) Also having the Homelink re-programming (weekly) issue described elsewhere, could these "memory" issues be related via the MMI?

Anyway, I drive 25K+ miles (mostly highway) annually so I'd really like to get AA working for me, as I specifically sought a Premium Plus WITHOUT NAV to save the $3K and use GMaps, not to mention a couple of other AA compatible apps like Spotify...

Any feedback of similar symptoms (and solution?) would be appreciated!
Thanks, Ed
FWIW, I've been using first an S8 and now a Note 8 with the S5 SB (Prestige) with surprisingly zero issues. The N8 is on 7.1.2 I believe. I have the Audi set as a trusted device and I also didn't pair it manually, Android Auto when you first set it up pairs your car with your phone. One thing you could try is seeing if there's a newer version of AndroidAuto on APKMirror or similar site and install that.

I use it at least twice a day for my commute (Waze or Google Maps via Android Auto) and it's really been flawless.

Your issue sadly might be because you're on Oreo and there might be some growing pains since it's brand new.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Hello,

I haven't seen this issue. One thing to point out: you absolutely do not need your phone to be unlocked with SmartLock for AA to work properly. In fact, you still won't be able to use your phone when it's plugged in to your car and SmartLock is enabled for your car's connection. Why do you think you need SmartLock to be configured? Is AA working for you already otherwise? In any case, this probably isn't a cable issue for you -- cable issues generally cause disconnects.

This hasn't happened to me either -- can you describe more what you mean here? is the MMI restarting somehow while you are driving and using it?
Old 01-03-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ho Mobilehavoc

Thank you for your feedback. I am beginning to wonder the same thing (about BT stability in Android 8.1.0 on my Pixel XL)...
Old 01-03-2018, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Scoopman

I had been using Google Voice Typing (GVT) on my Nexus 5X and then my Pixel XL until I purchased my A5 SB a few weeks ago. I never had AA before and it does work for me, but a few of the apps I use with GVT are not AA compatible today. So while it's not completely hands-free, I do want to be able to toggle out of AA mode on the phone and use GVT to send messages from (AA unsupported) apps...

But now that you mention it, perhaps AA was designed to keep the phone from applying Smartlock rules when AA is active? If AA was designed to reduce distracted driving, that makes complete sense...
Old 01-03-2018, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

AA was designed to offer as much functionality as possible for drivers while minimizing distraction.

It's actually complex, but there are scientific measures to determine the amount of driver distraction, and it's always a compromise between offering functionality and keeping a good level of safety in the car.

There are some use cases, such as composing emails, documents, etc., that are just really too complex and distracting to be doing while you drive. It's not just the methods for inputting text -- there's a large mental component here and these tasks need to be short in nature, interruptable, and not too cognitively distracting to the driver. Also, your looking at your phone screen while driving presents a whole host of problems, in its size, user interface, and how much you have to look away from the road and for how long to futz with it. The fixed screen in the center stack is much better as it is close to the driving horizon and is, of course, fixed in its position.

Not to be harsh, but IMHO you should not be using types of apps that are not supported in AA (such as email apps, etc) on your phone screen while you drive -- it really is dangerous to you and those around you, no matter how skilled everyone thinks they are as drivers.

Hi Scoopman

I had been using Google Voice Typing (GVT) on my Nexus 5X and then my Pixel XL until I purchased my A5 SB a few weeks ago. I never had AA before and it does work for me, but a few of the apps I use with GVT are not AA compatible today. So while it's not completely hands-free, I do want to be able to toggle out of AA mode on the phone and use GVT to send messages from (AA unsupported) apps...

But now that you mention it, perhaps AA was designed to keep the phone from applying Smartlock rules when AA is active? If AA was designed to reduce distracted driving, that makes complete sense...
Old 05-31-2018, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Pixel with 8.1 Android on it and have the same issues. Very spotty connection, and it seems to get worse over time.
I tried several factory resets on my Android and it doesn't seem to fix the issue much. Also have the issue of my 2018 A4 forgetting my Pixel and frequently asking to be re-paired.

On the surface it seemed some of the issues are related to the Audi MMI software. For example, If I start the car with the Pixel already plugged in then I can't use the car system/AA to make calls.
And others related to Android Auto.. But now wondering if this is a Pixel issue since one of the respondents signaled no issues with a Samsung S8/N8

Any progress since you first signaled this issue?

Quick Reply: 2018 A5 SB Android Auto + MMI Issues?