Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 Premium Plus S5 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default good review Hot|Ice...

Having driven BMW 3/4 series exclusively for 23 years prior to buying my 2018 S5 Sportback I'm far more sensitive to the BMW comparison. The interior is much nicer than the F30 - in fact much more on par with the F80 M3, except for the lack of a leather dash option. The lack of articulating adaptive headlights in a car in this class is hard to explain, especially given the general excellence of the Audi chassis. The handling of my car with the dynamic steering and trick differential is stunning IMO considering the ponderous weight of the car and less than ideal weight distribution. I can't wait for the Hankooks to wear out so that I can try it with Pilot Sport 4Ss! Both tire pressure monitoring and oil level monitoring leave something to be desired in this car. You shouldn't have to wait to the 11th hour to be told to top up your oil!

90% of my complaints about this car come down to tech, and I have a very low opinion of the MMI and many other aspects of Audi's tech. The lack of traffic reports on the NAV system is just plain laughable in this car. Anyway, I'm generally pretty relaxed when it comes to tech and I only get my back up when Audi gets praised for this junk.

I disagree with you somewhat on the throttle response, but my issues have largely disappeared with extended break in. So we're left with Audi's B-cycle and the ridiculously low revs and high gears that are favoured in the programming in Drive.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
I played with the new style screens on the A7 at the dealer. I don't like it at all, I much prefer being able to control it with the ****. The only thing the new screen has going for it is slightly higher resolution and that it's bigger. I'm actually really glad I got the car before they redesigned it. Same with the new style headlights with the e-Tron or A7-like notches. Sometimes new isn't better.
I had the same experience with the new MMI and am not looking forward to its introduction. A family member has had a 2019 BMW 5-series rental for the past couple of weeks and I like the design of BMW's new i-Drive system with central **** and touchscreen controls far more than Audi's dual-touchscreen. The BMW system function perfectly well without using the touchscreen, so the touchscreen could be reserved only for functions like typing in an address, making it much more usable while driving than Audi's new MMI.

Besides the difficulty of entering an address into the navigation system, which I don't need to do often, I have no qualms about the functionality of the MMI in the B9. Although the iPad-on-the-dash styling aesthetic is unlikely to age well, at least it allows the dash to be lowered, improving visibility and providing a more open feeling.

Last edited by JD15; 05-11-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
Having driven BMW 3/4 series exclusively for 23 years prior to buying my 2018 S5 Sportback I'm far more sensitive to the BMW comparison. The interior is much nicer than the F30 - in fact much more on par with the F80 M3, except for the lack of a leather dash option. The lack of articulating adaptive headlights in a car in this class is hard to explain, especially given the general excellence of the Audi chassis. The handling of my car with the dynamic steering and trick differential is stunning IMO considering the ponderous weight of the car and less than ideal weight distribution. I can't wait for the Hankooks to wear out so that I can try it with Pilot Sport 4Ss! Both tire pressure monitoring and oil level monitoring leave something to be desired in this car. You shouldn't have to wait to the 11th hour to be told to top up your oil!

90% of my complaints about this car come down to tech, and I have a very low opinion of the MMI and many other aspects of Audi's tech. The lack of traffic reports on the NAV system is just plain laughable in this car. Anyway, I'm generally pretty relaxed when it comes to tech and I only get my back up when Audi gets praised for this junk.

I disagree with you somewhat on the throttle response, but my issues have largely disappeared with extended break in. So we're left with Audi's B-cycle and the ridiculously low revs and high gears that are favoured in the programming in Drive.
I agree. The Audi, compared to competitors really is lagging behind in the tech area. Something that needs to be addressed badly.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Although the iPad-on-the-dash styling aesthetic is unlikely to age well, at least it allows the dash to be lowered, improving visibility and providing a more open feeling.
I disagree with that too. The on-dash placement is the best for ergonomics, you just glace to the side at the map as opposed to down into the cabin.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I disagree with that too. The on-dash placement is the best for ergonomics, you just glace to the side at the map as opposed to down into the cabin.
I agree that it is good for ergonomics, but the trend is shifting away from screens attached to the top of the dashboard, so stylistically it will likely look out of place in 5-10 years. It bothers me far less than others though, and I prefer it to a touchscreen.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Not for me. I use the VC screen for all map related stuff. I use the screen on the dash only for settings and media. I hardly ever look at these things while driving. I would prefer to not have it stick out like a sore thumb...
Old 05-11-2019, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I agree that it is good for ergonomics, but the trend is shifting away from screens attached to the top of the dashboard, so stylistically it will likely look out of place in 5-10 years. It bothers me far less than others though, and I prefer it to a touchscreen.
Tesla keeps putting it on their cars, Mercedes' new A-Class basically has two iPads stuck side by side, the new 3-series looks like it has an ipad at the top portion of the dash, just not sticking up as much... I'd say the trend is certainly not away from those types of screens.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

@NoMoreBMWs Have you seen/driven the new 3 series? I have another year and a half left on my lease. I'm thinking about either that or next generation AMG C43.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I've seen just one 330i on the road...

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
@NoMoreBMWs Have you seen/driven the new 3 series? I have another year and a half left on my lease. I'm thinking about either that or next generation AMG C43.
It certainly doesn't look as good as an S5 Sportback, but the 4 series coupe, gran coupe and cabriolet should have cleaner lines. I'm waiting for the M340i xDrive for a test drive this summer. If AMG does a C53 - the new straight six - as expected, the AMGs will be very compelling. Regardless, this class of car - the 400 hp AWD S4 inspired all weather interceptor - now has my attention much more than the 500 hp cars that the M3 inspired. I'm guessing the same as you: when I go looking in a couple of years any B9 refresh will likely have fallen well behind with no way to catch up.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Tesla keeps putting it on their cars, Mercedes' new A-Class basically has two iPads stuck side by side, the new 3-series looks like it has an ipad at the top portion of the dash, just not sticking up as much... I'd say the trend is certainly not away from those types of screens.
The Model 3 has a giant screen stuck in front of the entire dash dash, not a small screen stuck on top like Audi, and BMW's is more integrated into the top of the dash. The Honda Accord's screen would be a better example, but it is even slightly better integrated than on the B9. I don't have a problem with the placement, but I do dislike the giant bezel that reduces the ratio of usable to physical area.

Quick Reply: 2018 Premium Plus S5 Review