Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 S5 Design Shortcomings + Custom Spoiler Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 S5 Design Shortcomings + Custom Spoiler Help

Hi everyone,

New to the forums, but have lurked for quite a bit. I used to have a 2010 Audi A5, and just ended up buying a 2018 Audi S5 coupe.

I really like audi as a company, and I hope to keep getting Audi cars as I get older. As much as I love the 2018 S5, I do think that some mistakes were made, such as losing the curved trunk, and making the back and back windows more boxy. I am writing because I need your help. I have desperately been trying to find a rear wing spoiler to my car, and it seems like there is nothing out there. I would like to make the car look a little sportier in the back, but like I said, I haven't been able to find ANYTHING.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are companies out there that would make custom spoilers, specifically wing spoilers, rather than trunk spoilers, or is that just not something that services are able to provide? I'm in So Cal, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was also wondering what other people here thought about the changes and the direction that Audi went with their new 2018 models, like I said I really like Audi, and part of what I liked about their coupes was that they looked sporty and had some beautiful curves to it in younger models, but now it looks like they are going in a different direction, I looked at the options with the 2018 A5 and it couldn't really hold up to my 2010 Audi A5 S-line, only the S5's had similar interiors, don't get me wrong, I strongly support Audi, but I really hope they're using these new models to kind of throw a bunch of stuff at their cars and see what sticks and what works in comparison to their 2009 models.

If anyone can help me with the spoiler problem or give me some info I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

You will not find any love for a rice spoiler on these boards.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
You will not find any love for a rice spoiler on these boards.
We are all "grumpy old men" also you better stay off my lawn!
Old 04-17-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm no old man , I just recognize that a spoiler is one of the least tasteful mods you can ever put on a car. Unless the car comes with a functional spoiler its janky AF to put one on the car.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok well short of a spoiler, does anyone have any recommendations for making the back of the car or the car in general look a bit more sporty, rather than like a sedan?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I mean, am I the only one that thinks that Audi's choice of change for the back of the A5/S5 possibly wasn't the best choice? If you look at the difference between the 2018 models and the previous body-style, there is a huge difference, and while the old rear looked very sporty, the new ones just look like they are less than what they used to be. I don't know maybe its just me, but I've got to believe other people who have been happy with the direction Audi has been headed over these last 12 years, would be upset that the new style looks like a BMW or something, what I liked Audi for was exactly that they weren't BMW and they had a unique position and style. It just worries me to see them creating similarities with a company like that. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be worried or perplexed by the decision
Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you’ve come to your senses. A wing on this timeless beauty would make me cry.
Audi’s have always been a little more conservative with styling than other brands. In fact, many of us like them so much because they are ‘sleepers’—their conservative looks seem incongruous with their performance capabilities.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitallyRight
I mean, am I the only one that thinks that Audi's choice of change for the back of the A5/S5 possibly wasn't the best choice?
I will admit that it isn't the same step forward in iconic design that the first A5/S5 is, but I think it fits well within their brand and announces that yes, this is in fact a modern late-model Audi, which is always one of the goals of a car designer. And in that respect I think they did a pretty solid job.

I will second the opinion that if you will find no love for rice wings on this board, but if you do feel compelled to do one, my advice is to go big or go home:

Otherwise I would limit your search to subtle mods like this OEM decklid spoiler option: https://tagmotorsports.com/carbon-sp...5-s5-sportback
Old 04-18-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

That would look like low rent cheese on an Audi. If there is any design flaw it would amplify it x100.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Have you considered the Sportback instead of the coupe?

Quick Reply: 2018 S5 Design Shortcomings + Custom Spoiler Help