Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 s5 - Totaled

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
the US is a LOT bigger than Germany (or any country in europe for that matter)
I keep hearing this excuse, which is complete BS, IMHO. The whole EU has 507 million citizens whereas the USA only has 319 million and is comparable in land mass. Each country in the EU does its part to make sure Europe has well educated drivers. Some countries do a better job than others, but I'm just saying you can't compare the USA to a single country in the EU. Each country in the EU is essentially comparable to a US state, so each state in the USA should make sure its drivers are well educated and trained.

Same goes for public transportation. No single state in the US has a public transportation infrastructure comparable to Germany. If only there was one state that did, then we could say at least things are going in the right direction. But the infrastructure is third-world level throughout the USA.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-12-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I was surprised that I wasn't lectured on the car coming with clearly summer performance tires sold in a place where lots of snow is expected. Seems like something I would expect car dealerships would be doing just to be nice.

I recall my first experience with this was with the first generation TT. I was totally unaware of the tire choice it came with and on the first snowy day I recall driving in traffic. I was going super slow, and ABS would be going off but I wasn't slowing down at all. I felt like I could have gotten out of the car, run around to the front and just stopped it manually!

Lesson learned. Just wish someone took the time to school me on it before.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:44 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I keep hearing this excuse, which is complete BS, IMHO. The whole EU has 507 million citizens whereas the USA only has 319 million and is comparable in land mass. Each country in the EU does its part to make sure Europe has well educated drivers. Some countries do a better job than others, but I'm just saying you can't compare the USA to a single country in the EU. Each country in the EU is essentially comparable to a US state, so each state in the USA should make sure its drivers are well educated and trained.

Same goes for public transportation. No single state in the US has a public transportation infrastructure comparable to Germany. If only there was one state that did, then we could say at least things are going in the right direction. But the infrastructure is third-world level throughout the USA.

The biggest difference isn't infrastructure nor land mass; it's the entitlement mentality of my fellow citizens. We have a lot of freedom, but none of the responsibility that should go with it unfortunately.

As Americans , nothing is really ever our fault, everything is about "me" and my wants (cuz I am special and deserve it), and f**k everyone else. I encounter this all the time when someone is driving slowly in the fast lane on the freeway just because they feel like it's their right to do so.

In Europe, you are professionally trained to drive. In the US, for the most part, you learn from your parents - bad habits and all.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
The biggest difference isn't infrastructure nor land mass; it's the entitlement mentality of my fellow citizens. We have a lot of freedom, but none of the responsibility that should go with it unfortunately.

As Americans , nothing is really ever our fault, everything is about "me" and my wants (cuz I am special and deserve it), and f**k everyone else. I encounter this all the time when someone is driving slowly in the fast lane on the freeway just because they feel like it's their right to do so.

In Europe, you are professionally trained to drive. In the US, for the most part, you learn from your parents - bad habits and all.
this is not the users fault. This is the dealers fault 100% why would they sell a car with summer tires in the winter. That does not make any sense and it is tolal negligence by them..

Old 02-12-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by angel700

this is not the users fault. This is the dealers fault 100% why would they sell a car with summer tires in the winter. That does not make any sense and it is tolal negligence by them..

lol the car was sold to him in april
Old 02-12-2018, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 147 Likes on 91 Posts

Ridiculous, and wrong on the facts. OP bought the car in April. But even if they'd just sold it to him yesterday, it would have had the same tires on it, and it still would not have been the dealer's fault. As someone else said, it would have been thoughtful for the dealer to make sure he was clear on the limitations of that rubber, but the manual does so. Zero percent fault on the dealer.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Because that is how the factory equips them. Dealers sell winter wheels and tires, but it is up to the consumer to buy them.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by av_ri11
I agree I was negligent and should have read about the different types of tires. I grew up in the North East my whole life and didn't realize the difference between all-year tires and sports tires. Again this is my first sports car and but there is no excuse, I should have known or at-least read about the dangers of what I was doing. I do work from home most days that it snows so unfortunately I did not self educate myself before my first accident ever.

Regarding the insurance claim, they still have to send me the paperwork for exactly what they are writing up for the "total" but the adjuster kept referring to the aluminum block needing to be replaced. They would need to take out the whole engine to do this repair which is why the costs started to skyrocket.
Man! Can I just say I’m sorry you are having this terrible experience? I hope it does work out manageably for you. High performance cars on Max Performance Summer tires are not good snow vehicles. Even Audis. I usually drive my old TT if it snows. Same reason I still use it for track events. If something bad happens I can survive the financial hit. As to your question, yes an S5 is more easily totaled than say an SUV. It’s lower, lighter and necessarily more fragile. All that said, consider an ice driving clinic. Almost certainly such training would have saved your car.
https://audiclubna.org/quattrokana-t...riving-school/
Old 02-12-2018, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have got to be kidding me...

Last edited by freesole; 02-12-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Unnecessary comment by me but come on!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

My dealer made me sign a waiver or something of that sort stating summer tires are not to be used in the winter. I actually tought this was strange as I've bought many cars with summer tires and never had to do this.

Quick Reply: 2018 s5 - Totaled