Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

91 vs 93 Octane in S5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
..by leaps and bounds!!!
Agreed x1000. Now I want coffee.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-03-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I’m with you — Keep my car running smooth for the cost of a cup Starbucks, a no-brainer to me (But, going into Starbucks and paying $4.00 for a cup of coffee is crazy to me. I buy it by the pound and brew it at home.)

Good discussion.
I use an Aeropress and get some amazing single cup coffee. It takes a little more work but is super easy.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
I use an Aeropress and get some amazing single cup coffee. It takes a little more work but is super easy.
More involved, but you should try a syphoned coffee - nothing like it! I have my own setup, but you can get one at a Starbuck’s Reserve - be prepared for a little sticker shock though.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

More involved, but you should try a syphoned coffee - nothing like it! I have my own setup, but you can get one at a Starbuck’s Reserve - be prepared for a little sticker shock though.
Yeah, that's a few levels above the Aeropress. Might try it one day as I get more time and less car payments!
Old 11-03-2018, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High octane gas discussion devolves to a discussion of high octane coffee......
Old 11-03-2018, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA
Natural transition. The differences between coffee snobs and car snobs are superficial.

Last edited by Slides; 11-03-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:04 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildcat UA
But, it did not get confrontational at all!
Old 11-04-2018, 09:19 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

The coffee solution for your Audi is obviously this:

https://audishop.online/product/audi...resso-machine/

Last edited by N8!; 11-04-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
The coffee solution for your Audi is obviously this:

https://audishop.online/product/audi...resso-machine/

https://youtu.be/vqhDhv2al38
This is just awesome. You can pull a shot of 93 octane espresso, while filling up with 87 octane petrol. 🤣
Old 11-05-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Trade_it_all_4_more
I am far from a corporate apologist, nor a fan of large companies that have near monopoly status and take advantage of it, but your post - in my opinion - is missing a lot of information and facts.

LOL! Ok, if you say so.

As for my comment that this increase in the price difference between gas grades being due to the increase in modern turbo engines requiring higher octane, yes, that is my opinion.
I derive that opinion from the fact that turbo engines have become the prominent engine type in the automotive industry.
Some of those engines work fine on lower octane fuel, generally the lower output versions of those engines that used in higher numbers for cars that are purchased for daily driving without a need or want of higher performance.

I fully recognize that he oil and gas industry have their own constraints on how to refine various stock grades of crude oil.
Thus, I take that into account when I make my educated guess that profit is a prime motive in increasing the price difference between octane grades of fuel.

The massive increase in my area, which is also your area, started within the past two years.
Crude grade has not drastically changed in that time. Production of crude has increased.
Also, I take into consideration that the price differences between octane grade fuel is not consistent throughout the US.
In many areas the per gallon difference remains about .10 cents, which is what has been before.

As for the contention that when gas was under $1 per gallon, and the difference per gallon was less than .10 cents, compared to gas now being much higher, and thus the difference per grade would naturally go up, is inconsistent with the historical reality of gas pricing.
A few years back gas prices skyrocketed as regular unleaded was well above $3 per gallon.
And yet, even when those volatile prices were increasing, the price difference between octane grades remained consistent, not increasing.
The increase occurs in the base price and the per grade difference is thus also increased due to the base price hike, so that every grade becomes higher in cost.

That, does not then tell us why the grade differences has jumped dramatically in the past two years.
Weather can have an impact on prices, though that is temporary. Refineries got damaged during the hurricane that hit Huston, TX a few years ago, and gas prices did do up.
So, during some price increases there are reasonable conditions to account for those increases.

I'm simply pointing out the very high jump in the difference between grades in the past two years in my region.
And, the reasons for it are not fully known. Thus, I speculate as to what it could be.
One thing that is not likely a contributor of that increase is lower yearly profits.
How do I know that? Reports on such things are available all over the interwebs, check it out.
If profits are high, and "record high", then it behooves consumers to know exactly why there should be such a dramatic increase between increasing octane grades.
Hmmm...sounds like it was done because it could be done, and profits continue to rise.
Great job for the people who tried it and won.

As I say, I am not in the least against corporate profit. I do, however, question big price increases when reasons for them are very suspect.
And, as for the conversation going astray, that was not my intent.
My intent was to point out the price difference between grades being a good deal higher in my area compared to other areas of the US.

I thus apologize for opening the door to going astray.
I will not comment further about this digression in this thread.
My bad.

Quick Reply: 91 vs 93 Octane in S5?