Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5/S5 Headlights vs RS5 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5/S5 Headlights vs RS5 Headlights

Hi All,

i am new to the forums (in general my first time writing) and i would like to hear a feedback from owners of B9 A/S/RS 5's.

I am aiming to buy my 2019 S5 by Feb/ March 2019, so i started looking for parts from now which i want to change in it.

Now, i am going for S5 and not for RS5 for very obvious reason (extra 20K$) plus i really like magma red interior of S5. However, there is one thing that bugs me a lot for which i cant find any solution.

I am in love with RS5 headlights, fully blacked out, it gives a whole car very aggressive look, however i cant find anywhere if you actually can fit RS5 headlights into S5, will there be any software issue or hardware issue, plus i cant find anywhere when you can buy them to get approx idea on pricing (didnt check with dealer yet).

My second option is to give a car to 3rd party for them to actually open headlight and paint all black.

There are couple of things on which i am hesitating on above point. Genuine reassembly, wont be achieved so more chances of moisture etc, lights will not be an spotless as they were out of factory, lastly, i am living in Dubai where heat can reach 50C, i am under impression that if plastic is not of its original color (black) and painted, paint will fade away with time which will make it look ugly.

Long story short, if it is possible to install RS5 lights i have to spent approx 4K $ and not know what to do with old once as in this country very few people prefer to buy used parts, or i shall take a risk and paint it?

Thanks for your valuable feedback.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The headlights are ultrasonic/plastic welded shut so you can open them but risk both damage and it's impossible to reassemble them to oem spec. You may be able to get them back together and sealed but just not the same.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 226 Likes on 182 Posts

The blacked out RS5 headlights are only matrix headlights that are available out of North America. The standard LED headlights for all markets are identical to the A5/S5 models.

With that being said, matrix headlight installation is possible with cars that have the front camera. The procedure for wiring is super simple, coding has been solved, low beam, DRL and turn signal operation are all functional. The last procedure being worked on is an aiming solution using available tools. Outside of North America dealerships have tools to do this aiming. In North America working on a solution with several customers to aim the matrix to get that system up and running. It's very close, but of course want to make sure that aiming is reasonably done and provides safe high beam lighting.

Cheers,

Old 07-21-2018, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex@Europrice.us
The blacked out RS5 headlights are only matrix headlights that are available out of North America. The standard LED headlights for all markets are identical to the A5/S5 models.

With that being said, matrix headlight installation is possible with cars that have the front camera. The procedure for wiring is super simple, coding has been solved, low beam, DRL and turn signal operation are all functional. The last procedure being worked on is an aiming solution using available tools. Outside of North America dealerships have tools to do this aiming. In North America working on a solution with several customers to aim the matrix to get that system up and running. It's very close, but of course want to make sure that aiming is reasonably done and provides safe high beam lighting.

Cheers,
Thanks both for the reply, based on the above, i've already had an issue with E200 while converting it from 2013 to 2015 model with lights and all, and there were a lot of issues while fixing software, such as AC stopped working, indicators, lights on one side, infotainment etc.

I was under the impression that it will be removing old lights and plugging in new once, however if again software is involved, i think the best case is just to stick with originals.

Shame that Audi is not putting those lights in full A5 range.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 226 Likes on 182 Posts

The only blacked out RS5 headlights are the matrix headlights. These are not North American available and they require a small amount of wiring, coding and being aimed for full functionality.

The standard LED headlights on the RS5 are silver on the inside just like your headlights are now. Those can be replaced by European units that are plug-in and the eliminate the orange side marker, feature a sharper cutoff, more focused lighting, etc.

Standard A5/S5/RS5 European headlights:

A5, S5, RS5 B9 '17+ Lighting

Sadly there are no blacked out standard LED headlights, only matrix units.

Cheers,