Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 SB without sport suspension and 18 inch wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 SB without sport suspension and 18 inch wheels

I'm looking into getting an A5 sportback. I'll be commuting a fair amount for work so was thinking about an A5 without the sport suspension and with the 18 inch wheels. However, my local dealer is mostly stocked with SB with the S-line and 19 inch wheel package and I was hoping to see how much of a difference it has on the overall appearance. If anyone without the sport suspension and 18inch wheels was willing to post pics that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by ethernet
I'm looking into getting an A5 sportback. I'll be commuting a fair amount for work so was thinking about an A5 without the sport suspension and with the 18 inch wheels. However, my local dealer is mostly stocked with SB with the S-line and 19 inch wheel package and I was hoping to see how much of a difference it has on the overall appearance. If anyone without the sport suspension and 18inch wheels was willing to post pics that would be greatly appreciated.
There is no difference in height between standard, sport or adaptive suspension options on the A5 models, and there are already plenty of posts with photos of the 18" wheels within the forum.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
There is no difference in height between standard, sport or adaptive suspension options on the A5 models, and there are already plenty of posts with photos of the 18" wheels within the forum.
I've been seeing mixed comments on the height differences on the suspension options, but the Audi USA press release seems to indicate that there is a difference in heights.

https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...-design-and-en
  • Available sport suspension (A5 models) lowers ride height by approximately 23 mm and utilizes different tubular anti-roll bars, dampers, and linear-rate springs.
  • Available comfort adaptive damping suspension (A5 models) lowers ride height by 10 mm and uses continuous electronic damper control to enable the various suspension and damping combinations that make up the Audi drive select modes.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nadddd
I've been seeing mixed comments on the height differences on the suspension options, but the Audi USA press release seems to indicate that there is a difference in heights.

https://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...-design-and-en
Cut and pasted from the A4 details, unfortunately. Perhaps Audi USA assumed the suspension set-ups were the same between A4 and A5 when they prepared these. But they aren't.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

All A5 and S5 have the same ride height? Where you got this information?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ethernet

Here is mine.... got it without the sport package and I’m glad I did. It’s much comfier for everyday drive in the north east. Also, the ten spoke wheels have really grown on me.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Cut and pasted from the A4 details, unfortunately. Perhaps Audi USA assumed the suspension set-ups were the same between A4 and A5 when they prepared these. But they aren't.
Before seeing you post, I was convinced ride heights were different but after doing some research, I must now agree with you... On audi.de, they specified the lower ride height for the A4 Sport suspension but not for the A5 Sport suspension. Furthermore, A4 and S4 have different height but A5 and S5 have the same height. Finally, if you check USA Order Guide, they explicitly state that the A5 Standard suspension sits at S5 ride height!

Last edited by Yoshimura; 10-19-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A5SBpez
Here is mine.... got it without the sport package and I’m glad I did. It’s much comfier for everyday drive in the north east. Also, the ten spoke wheels have really grown on me.
I have to say I agree with you. I got mine with the All Season and the 10-spoke is slowly growing on me.
I am certainly going to keep them on throughout the winter and then change them in Spring until next winter comes around.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A5SBpez

+1 on that input; never tried the sportier option(s) but the A5 on 18s is a great balance of ride and handling for my taste.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Before seeing you post, I was convinced ride heights were different but after doing some research, I must now agree with you...
Yes, Audi don't actually quote any absolute ride height figures. What they do always publish is any deviation from "standard" ride height, so it is often what they don't say that gives the answer.

Quick Reply: A5 SB without sport suspension and 18 inch wheels