Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 Sportback, How Do Regular and S-Line Sport Suspension Compare?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Sportback, How Do Regular and S-Line Sport Suspension Compare?

Hi!

I am looking for an A5 Sportback for long distance touring, I have a different car with firmer suspension for "fun", so I am looking for softest suspension possible on A5 SB with 18" wheels and all season tires.

However, it is hard to find an A5 SB in the interior and exterior colors that I want with the options that I want without the S-Line trim which includes the sport suspension.

I could order the vehicle but don't want to wait 3 months.

I can't take a test drive to compare the suspensions because I don't have any available locally and even if I did, not sure that I could make a good evaluation on a test drive.

So sometimes I feel like I should consider capitulating and just getting the S-Line trim with the Sport Suspension since I can't find the car that I want without it and maybe (???) the ride isn't that much different, thus my question:

Can you please share your thoughts on ride quality of A5 SB with regular suspension vs sport suspension, especially with 18" wheels?

Thank you in advance!
Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Top Gear sums it up quite well:

It’s very mature, with a ride that, even in its stiffest mode, is way better than merely tolerable.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a small review of the A5 Sportback in the print edition of Car and Driver magazine a few months back. They said the sport suspension was "brittle". They loved the styling but think they said to avoid the Sport Suspension.

I was unfamiliar with this A5 SB model until reading that review but went straight out to look at the vehicle. I immediately cancelled my 2018 A4 order which I had placed 3 months prior and was still waiting for its arrival. I ordered the A5 SB (from a diff dealer, better price) because I never loved the A4 styling. I still ordered it with the S Line Sport Pkg because I wanted the sport seats, also liked the S Line styling and the wheels. I'm hoping I don't dislike the suspension.
The following users liked this post:
Kariemadab2020@gmail.com (03-19-2022)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GLN2
I ordered the A5 SB (from a diff dealer, better price) because I never loved the A4 styling. I still ordered it with the S Line Sport Pkg because I wanted the sport seats, also liked the S Line styling and the wheels. I'm hoping I don't dislike the suspension.
I am 99.999% sure you won't.

I love my S-Line suspension - it's sporty yet comfortable at the same time.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope so. Now only 3+ months until I find out!
Old 11-01-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have read reviews stating the standard suspension is stiffer than a new A4, so as to be a bit sportier. The S-line suspension will be stiffer still, but thats not to say unpleasant. I would think the suspension would be the same in the A5 couple or Cab, maybe you can test drive one of those. Its a totally different animal, but my A3 with sports suspension is the the nicest ride of any car Ive ever had. It is only really noticeable on terrible roads and some larger speed bumps.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sport suspension

Must be another thread...but I commented on this before.....just my opinion ....I have A4 B9 no sport suspension and like the ride very much. I test drove A5 with and without sport suspension ....without it very much same as A4...with it its a little rougher...not quite the same. I recently ordered A5 no sport suspension...I wanted same ride as my A4. I guess its all in what you want and expect. I want a car thats smooth and more for open road driving ....not so much for twisting roads...thats just me. I found spot suspension stiffer and I felt the rough roads more.....my two cents.
The following users liked this post:
Kariemadab2020@gmail.com (03-19-2022)
Old 11-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Donald Bruno
Must be another thread...but I commented on this before.....
Yes, that was my mistake.....sorry....it was my first post and I thought that the first one didn't take (apparently it had to first be approved) so I inadvertently duplicated the thread. The other thread which contains more posts is at the link below. Don't know if the Moderator can somehow combine these 2 threads. Sorry.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...mpare-2932645/
Old 11-13-2018, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GLN2
I saw a small review of the A5 Sportback in the print edition of Car and Driver magazine a few months back. They said the sport suspension was "brittle". They loved the styling but think they said to avoid the Sport Suspension.

I was unfamiliar with this A5 SB model until reading that review but went straight out to look at the vehicle. I immediately cancelled my 2018 A4 order which I had placed 3 months prior and was still waiting for its arrival. I ordered the A5 SB (from a diff dealer, better price) because I never loved the A4 styling. I still ordered it with the S Line Sport Pkg because I wanted the sport seats, also liked the S Line styling and the wheels. I'm hoping I don't dislike the suspension.
I'm still trying to figure out A4 and A5. I did test drive the A4 sport and A5 SB(not long enough to help me decide one of them) but didn't find much of a difference between how the cars handled bumps and imperfections. I value comfort a lot. Since you've been using the vehicle for a while now, can you / others please comment on how much these suspensions vary? In my short test drive, in decreasing order of plush, A4 > A5 SB > A4 sport > A5 SB sport
Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

I think this is very subjective because every one has their own definition of what is too stiff or too harsh. That being said, I have the S-line on 19" wheels and I do find the suspension a bit harsh. If the roads are in good to fair condition then its not an issue but if you have anything less than that it is noticeable. All my cars have been coupes with sport suspensions/big wheels prior to this so its not like I have no frame of reference. I am not a suspension guru but its like they didn't calibrate the damping rates on the shocks correctly or something - there is way more head toss on bumps that you would expect to be easily handled by the suspension. The most telling was when I gave a ride to my sister, who is not at all a car person, and within the first 5 minutes she said that the car is very bumpy (and we were on a relatively new road in good condition). Again, its not so bad that I can't live with it and when you factor in rest of the S-line stuff the suspension becomes something you just ignore. It would have been great if they had the adjustable suspension as a stand alone option. I haven't driven the non-Sline A5SB so I am not sure how much better the ride would be with the base suspension (may not be enough benefit to give up the rest of the S-line stuff)

Quick Reply: A5 Sportback, How Do Regular and S-Line Sport Suspension Compare?