Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 vs S5 - How they compare when driving them

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanLZ
I don't think adaptive suspension between the A5 and S5 are different. Most likely 18" vs 19" wheels.

The S5 has nice sport seats, a trunk spoiler, quad exhausts and rear diffuser. Small subtle changes from the A5 but do make a difference.
I bet the spring rate is different between the a5 and s5. I test drove both cars and found the a5 softer and more agile in the city. The 4 banger doesnt sound very pleasant and it doesnt take the corners as well as the s5. As far as linear throttle and lag and all that, my s5 does not feel any more laggy than the a5, I caught the a5 in the wrong gear a few times. In my opinion, the A5 is a basic entry level luxury sedan and the S5 is more of a GT grand cruiser on the highway and a sporty little hot road in the city. Call me old school but when I pay this much money, I want at least a 6 cyl engine.

Last edited by The G Man; 03-21-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I find the A5 Cab to be a great riding car and fast enough for me. I've had many sports cars and to me, the S5 isn't worth 8-14K (depending on whether it's a coupe or cab) more than an A. Today, unlike the old days, there's not too many places you can really get a car up to the limits. Too much traffic and more sophisticated tactics by the cops. Yes, I get my A up to 100 now and then but not for long. I used to drive my 911 over 100 all the time but there was no where near the traffic there is now. It's one of those things that is personal to each person driving a car. Some people like to know the power and handling is there when they want it but for me the A is the right balance of everything. Fast enough and handles exceptionally well.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
Front bumper, rear spoiler.
Spoiler, yes. That’s right!

Originally Posted by Ycore
Exhausts, mirrors, wheels/tires, and carbon fiber interior trim immediately come to mind, but there's probably a few more things.
ok yes, the quad exhaust makes sense and different style of wheels. To me, tires just look like tires, nothing special. I’ll have to look at the mirror differences, unless it’s just the color/cf, vs shape. I also was thinking more about the exterior va interior, but valid points. Thanks.

Originally Posted by JD15
S-sport seats, Alcantara door inserts, front grille, and rear diffuser.
I’ll have to look into the rear diffuser. I have a S-Line, so I’m thinking they are very similar looking. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

The S5 uses S Adaptive suspension, and is a different calibration to the Adaptive suspension used on the A5. Whilst both the springs and the dampers may be different, the dampers certainly are. The S5 has less chassis lean when the suspension is set to Dynamic - that is from the EDC dampers.

I agree with Ycore's comments, and there have been a few people in the forum who would have been better off with an A5 than an S5. If I wanted to cruise around predominantly in D mode, feeling relaxed and comfortable, the A5 on Adaptive (or standard, but not sport) does that better than the S5. But put the A5 in Dynamic mode, engine/transmission in S mode, it doesn't go through the same character transformation as the S5. Which has greater breadth between calm vs aggressive. Depends what you want, but I always found these differences obvious in relatively short test drives.

The S5 has larger brakes. And the ability to add the torque vectoring rear Sports differential, which is not available with 4 cylinder engines.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bextreme1
Yes, I get my A up to 100 now and then but not for long.
Heck, a Toyota Prius can get up to a 100 mph, its how you get up there that counts. If one was looking for a entry level sport luxury sedan for point A to point B transportation, the A5 is fine. If one was looking for something more, then the S5 should be consider. Same with the upgrade from S5 to RS5.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bextreme1
I find the A5 Cab to be a great riding car and fast enough for me. I've had many sports cars and to me, the S5 isn't worth 8-14K (depending on whether it's a coupe or cab) more than an A. Today, unlike the old days, there's not too many places you can really get a car up to the limits. Too much traffic and more sophisticated tactics by the cops. Yes, I get my A up to 100 now and then but not for long. I used to drive my 911 over 100 all the time but there was no where near the traffic there is now. It's one of those things that is personal to each person driving a car. Some people like to know the power and handling is there when they want it but for me the A is the right balance of everything. Fast enough and handles exceptionally well.
This has been argued so much. Same thing when people mention the RS5 is not worth the upgrade for the S5. People will always try to defend their purchase because of biases. Honestly the upgrade to the S5 is not solely because of power. An upgraded interior and a more exclusive model that separates me from the pack is worth the extra premium over the A. Each to their own but you can't go wrong with A/S/RS and depends on your personal preference.
The following users liked this post:
Kamauxx (05-01-2021)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just my thoughts, but in the US, the S models are somewhat overkill. The RS models are definitely overkill.
I can’t ‘use’ all the performance my S4 can give, safely, anywhere, on any road.
In retrospect, I bought too much car, and an A4 PP with a few extras would have been more than enough.
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore my S4–it’s such a competent, classy, comfortable, smooth ride. I just think I’d get 95% of that with an A model.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The moral to the story to all these threads is you can't ask someone else how they feel about something to help you make a decision. These types of things you have to figure out on your own. Do your own research, test drive both vehicles, watch a few YouTube videos and make your decision.
The following users liked this post:
CraigR (05-01-2021)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

And there will be others who think a A4 is a better buy than the A5, oppps, did I open up a can of worms?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
The moral to the story to all these threads is you can't ask someone else how they feel about something to help you make a decision. These types of things you have to figure out on your own. Do your own research, test drive both vehicles, watch a few YouTube videos and make your decision.
X2!

There is is no shortcut to doing your own research. Drive both models and base your decision on what works out best for you.

Anything less is pure laziness and you’ll deserve what you get!

— John