Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

ABT ECU tuning available in the US?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 AM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-15-2018, 02:53 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
Why don't you guys buy one ABT and do a head-to-head comp? I think a lot of people here would appreciate it and it would help clear any marketing lingo out of the way...
We don't really need to do that but if a user that has one is keen they can check it out. Above is the literature that was found on the unit.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Abt unit. I love it. Also the Abt anti-roll bars. Love them too. I'm sure there are other good mod approaches to consider. But I've now got the daily driver/GT car I've always wanted. So I can't wait to see Audi's 2021 offerings.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by George@BMS
A lot has gone into marketing these units as CAN based units and people get the impression that its how the tuning gets done and they all have this tech. On this specific unit the latest marketing information states that they connect to two digital sensors which are SENT protocol (the two boost sensor) for altering boost feedback to the car and two analag (one is most likely rpm, not sure why they don't get the signal from the CAN) and the other is the throttle actuator most likely to give them load signal (again a value they can get from the CAN). There is a good chance this unit is not CAN based as the 3D mapping capability is advertised due to the sensor connection with throttle position making it 3D vs conventional piggy backs only seeing rpm due to the camshaft sensor connector and the ABT seeing throttle position as load makes it 3D.
On the JB4 we connect to the CAN via the OBD plug and use the data for mapping and safety purposes. This allows us to add certain safety and trimming on the maps based on engine feedback at a very affordable price. It also give the advantage to perform boost cut on the gear changes for smoother shifts etc. Where we step apart from users is we also provide for fueling if needed via the rail pressure increase and the majority of our units also alter the AFR ratio. These are unique features in terms of what is currently available in the market.
The ABT looks like its high quality in terms of build (those connectors direct to the ECU are not cheap). What would be nice to see if any user is handy with a multimeter is to see how many of the signals are direct bridges and how many actually run through the box. I did this exercise with a MTM Cantronic unit and was rather shocked with my findings.
We don't really need to do that but if a user that has one is keen they can check it out. Above is the literature that was found on the unit.
You were the one who suggested that it would be nice to see "how many signals are direct bridges and how many actually run through the box"... You were the one who is implying / suggesting that MTM marketing is misleading and therefore so might be ABT... You brought this up. You are a manufacturer and direct competitor of these other guys... if you are going around suggesting or implying that others are misleading then you better own it. I did not appreciate your "bait and switch" tactics for the last 5 or 6 months regarding the release of your product... Unless you have or is willing to collect evidence (which seems not to be the case) then all you are doing here is creating hearsay and IMO behaving in a very unethical manner. You may be right... then go after the facts and do not "outsource" it to users... We should hold you guys (manufacturers) at a higher degree... Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Juggie (06-23-2019)
Old 10-15-2018, 09:18 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

We operate out of CA which has strict guidelines for everything sold. We don't ship in CA neither.
That really does not answer my question so I’ll ask it again:

Your web site states that your products are for Competition Closed Course Only. Does that mean it’s not suitable for use in a daily driver?

Thank You.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nikon1

That really does not answer my question so I’ll ask it again:

Your web site states that your products are for Competition Closed Course Only. Does that mean it’s not suitable for use in a daily driver?

Thank You.
Click through and there is a disclaimer that applies to CA only. It is suitable for daily driving and is currently being CARB approved as well.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Former Vendor

You were the one who suggested that it would be nice to see "how many signals are direct bridges and how many actually run through the box"... You were the one who is implying / suggesting that MTM marketing is misleading and therefore so might be ABT... You brought this up. You are a manufacturer and direct competitor of these other guys... if you are going around suggesting or implying that others are misleading then you better own it. I did not appreciate your "bait and switch" tactics for the last 5 or 6 months regarding the release of your product... Unless you have or is willing to collect evidence (which seems not to be the case) then all you are doing here is creating hearsay and IMO behaving in a very unethical manner. You may be right... then go after the facts and do not "outsource" it to users... We should hold you guys (manufacturers) at a higher degree... Good luck!
My post was in response to a user that assumed the unit he bought for thousands is CAN based. No where in their current literature does it say this is indeed the fact. What does happen marketing wise is you release one CANBUS based unit and its assumed they all the same.
At no time did I suggest MTM marketing was misleading. I was shocked at the simplicity of the unit in terms of what it actually does for the price.
I cannot be a direct competitor with a product that is 4 times the price. They have their market and we have ours. It also does not do any harm in educating users on how these systems work.
If you feel you got baited then I do apologize as we had unexpected delays. We have a decent online presence with numerous models covered and you can search release information on all of them and will realize this is not a trend of a technique for any financial gain.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Click through and there is a disclaimer that applies to CA only. It is suitable for daily driving and is currently being CARB approved as well.

Thank You
Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My post was in response to a user that assumed the unit he bought for thousands is CAN based. No where in their current literature does it say this is indeed the fact. What does happen marketing wise is you release one CANBUS based unit and its assumed they all the same.
At no time did I suggest MTM marketing was misleading. I was shocked at the simplicity of the unit in terms of what it actually does for the price.
I cannot be a direct competitor with a product that is 4 times the price. They have their market and we have ours. It also does not do any harm in educating users on how these systems work.
If you feel you got baited then I do apologize as we had unexpected delays. We have a decent online presence with numerous models covered and you can search release information on all of them and will realize this is not a trend of a technique for any financial gain.
You could have answered the comment without suggesting that MTM (and ABT) were over stating their claims... With that said, if that is true, then why not put your money where your mouth is? I mean, if they are deceiving their customers and you know that or have a solid way to verify that, why not make it in a competitive advantage for your company? Please don't give us the "we are not competitors" because of price price point.... that is simply not true... (marketing lingo anyone?)... This is where I am calling you out... Competition is good if you guys truly compete... It would be great if you were to do a head-to-head comp to demystify and debunk marketing lingo from what really matters.

By the way, I always heard good things about BMS and have lots of friends who are BMS long time customers... Too bad it did not work for me at that time. But nothing against BMS.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor

You could have answered the comment without suggesting that MTM (and ABT) were over stating their claims... With that said, if that is true, then why not put your money where your mouth is? I mean, if they are deceiving their customers and you know that or have a solid way to verify that, why not make it in a competitive advantage for your company? Please don't give us the "we are not competitors" because of price price point.... that is simply not true... (marketing lingo anyone?)... This is where I am calling you out... Competition is good if you guys truly compete... It would be great if you were to do a head-to-head comp to demystify and debunk marketing lingo from what really matters.

By the way, I always heard good things about BMS and have lots of friends who are BMS long time customers... Too bad it did not work for me at that time. But nothing against BMS.
Not sure what you getting at. It clearly states what the unit connects to in the picture I have posted. What is public perception is a different story based on what the gentlemen from Switzerland posted.

As for MTM I didn't state they over stating their claims. I stated that the unit is very basic for the cost.

With the ECU being harder to crack piggy backs are going to be more common and the end user needs to start asking questions. If it says it does fueling you should ask how does it do it etc. On European sites you can see that most literature is copy and paste for all units. They add rail pressure on diesel units but say adds rail pressure on all etc.

Not going to go deeper into this. As a company we have never done a back to back comparison with other units and don't need too. We know our product is unique and the most advanced in terms of capability short of a stand alone ECU.

Quick Reply: ABT ECU tuning available in the US?!