Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Accidentally popping trunk with FOB

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by 18A5SB
Putting the FOB in one of these may help. Adds another layer and needs a bit more pressure to activate button.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Buttons-S...laJkl1&vxp=mtr

I have mine in one and no problems.
Those look a little cheap. I've searched for, but haven't found any nice leather shells. Has anyone else ever found a good quality shell?
Old 03-08-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
Those look a little cheap. I've searched for, but haven't found any nice leather shells. Has anyone else ever found a good quality shell?
Here is the one I bought from Amazon... Pretty good quality and the leather is super soft and premium. The only catch is... it's a little pricey.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by lodaka; 03-08-2019 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the link
Old 03-08-2019, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lodaka
Here is the one I bought from Amazon... Pretty good quality and the leather is super soft and premium. The only catch is... it's a little pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Nice, and thanks! Just ordered myself one. 😊
Old 03-09-2019, 05:33 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by lodaka

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Originally Posted by garberfc
Nice, and thanks! Just ordered myself one. 😊
Did both of your come with the leather strap as shown on the Amazon product listing? I saw a review, written a couple of days ago, where the leather strap and the mechanism to secure it were replaced by a couple of snap rings. Just wondering if the product had changed or this was a “one-off” incident on Amazon.

Thanks in advance.

— John
Old 03-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Did both of your come with the leather strap as shown on the Amazon product listing? I saw a review, written a couple of days ago, where the leather strap and the mechanism to secure it were replaced by a couple of snap rings. Just wondering if the product had changed or this was a “one-off” incident on Amazon.

Thanks in advance.

— John

Mine arrived today and did not include the black leather strap shown on the picture posted on the Amazon web site.

The leather case fits wonderfully and looks very nice. Expensive - a little, but it also adds a little class, even though it lives either in my pocket or hanging on the side of our refrigerator.

I’ll drop a question to Amazon’s Customer Service and see what they have to say about the missing strap.

— John

Last edited by Nikon1; 03-10-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice case, i usually dont like fob covers but i think i might try this one.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:51 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Nice case, i usually dont like fob covers but i think i might try this one.
First one I’ve ever purchased. Outside of the missing strap, I’m very happy with the product.

This is the leather strap shown on Amazon:

Thanks to the OP who linked this fob cover!

— John
Old 03-10-2019, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks nikon1, your picture sold me on the case. How are the buttons, are they harder to push?
Old 03-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thanks nikon1, your picture sold me on the case. How are the buttons, are they harder to push?
Perhaps 5 to 10% — but that prevents the rear deck from unexpectedly popping open when the keys are in my pocket.

Just be warned — no leather strap as is pictured in my earlier post. Was not a deal-breaker for me as I had no intent of using it.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1

First one I’ve ever purchased. Outside of the missing strap, I’m very happy with the product.

This is the leather strap shown on Amazon:

Thanks to the OP who linked this fob cover!

— John
Very interesting. My fob cover arrived today and it DOES include the D-Ring and leather strap. The only difference is that the chrome is black chrome (if that's what you call it). The leather cover is very rich and soft.

I haven't had any issues with mistaken key presses either, but I wonder if the cover may make them more likely. It's a tight cover and I imagine it may be putting some additional pressure on the buttons itself. If it does, I think I may cut out leather parts covering the buttons making them recessed.

Good luck with yours. It seems that if you do buy one it's just the luck of the draw as to which model you'll receive. Your own milage will definitely vary. 😆

Quick Reply: Accidentally popping trunk with FOB