Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Accidentally turned the volume to the max. Any damage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Accidentally turned the volume to the max. Any damage?

I store my foldable sunshade in the gap between the passenger seat and the center console. Today while unfolding the shade it somehow made its way to the volume **** and turned the volume to the max. I was scared ****less and ear was ringing for a few seconds afterwards. Do you think any damage was done to my speakers or amp?
Old 05-27-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quite simply, if all the speakers work and sound OK, they probably are OK.

Damage is most likely to occur when an underpowered (for the speakers) amp is turned up to distortion levels and kept there for a while. Of course a grossly over-powered amp can cause problems, too.

However, in this case, the amps are matched to the speakers (or at least they should be). So, a brief stint at full volume shouldn't cause any damage to the speakers and certainly not to the amplifier(s), which are probably class D modules.

In the unlikely event that any of the speakers wasn't working or was buzzing or distorting, I'd put in a warranty claim in good conscience as this is meant to be a well-designed, good quality system and should be able to tolerate a very brief full volume excursion without breaking anything.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony M
Quite simply, if all the speakers work and sound OK, they probably are OK.

Damage is most likely to occur when an underpowered (for the speakers) amp is turned up to distortion levels and kept there for a while. Of course a grossly over-powered amp can cause problems, too.

However, in this case, the amps are matched to the speakers (or at least they should be). So, a brief stint at full volume shouldn't cause any damage to the speakers and certainly not to the amplifier(s), which are probably class D modules.

In the unlikely event that any of the speakers wasn't working or was buzzing or distorting, I'd put in a warranty claim in good conscience as this is meant to be a well-designed, good quality system and should be able to tolerate a very brief full volume excursion without breaking anything.
Yeah they sound OK, but then again my ears can't tell if there's any minor tears in the speaker. It only lasted about a second so going by what you said they should be fine:

Here is the dashcam video just for kicks. At the 26 seconds mark you can see my windshield went crazy because of the vibration.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

You'll be fine - no worries.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my volume maxed out for at least 15-20 mins a day. Are you not supposed to turn it all the way up???