Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Anyone come from a M3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two questions

1. Does the RS5 come with a heated steering wheel?
2 The MMI controller is in front of the shifter. Doesn’t that make it a touch difficult to get to?
Old 04-28-2020, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 597 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_998
1. Does the RS5 come with a heated steering wheel?
2 The MMI controller is in front of the shifter. Doesn’t that make it a touch difficult to get to?
1. Yes, but not with the flat bottom steering wheel. Only with the round steering wheel.
2. No, it's really easy to use. The 2020 refresh eliminates the MMI controller in favor of a touchscreen only interface,
Old 04-28-2020, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
1. Yes, but not with the flat bottom steering wheel. Only with the round steering wheel.
2. No, it's really easy to use. The 2020 refresh eliminates the MMI controller in favor of a touchscreen only interface,
How does one get the round steering wheel? I don’t see it in the options and every car except the cheapest used one out there seems to have the flat bottom.

and I will need to sit in that car. I don’t see how that controller is easy to get to. Maybe that’s why the touch screen for the 2020?
Old 04-28-2020, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

How does one get the round steering wheel? I don’t see it in the options and every car except the cheapest used one out there seems to have the flat bottom.

and I will need to sit in that car. I don’t see how that controller is easy to get to. Maybe that’s why the touch screen for the 2020?
for U.S models i believe you need the cold weather package for the heated steering wheel.
the controller is easy to use, if anything i feel its less of a hassle than reaching in for the screen. Our interiors were not designed with touch screen in mind, they added the touch screen only to put it in line with the new A7, Q8 which come with brand new interiors.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IvanLZ
for U.S models i believe you need the cold weather package for the heated steering wheel.
the controller is easy to use, if anything i feel its less of a hassle than reaching in for the screen. Our interiors were not designed with touch screen in mind, they added the touch screen only to put it in line with the new A7, Q8 which come with brand new interiors.
I don't think such a thing exists (Cold Weather Package) - at least not on the configurator today.

Totally agree about reaching for the screen - my M3 has touch screen and I don't think I've ever used it! I did have it in my Lexus GS430 way back when and it was horrific. Mostly cause when you are bouncing down the road, it is a bit difficult to line up your finger with where you want to press (our streets suck here in Chicago).

Alas, in the BMWs, the iDrive falls naturally to where your hand rests - off to the side and behind the shifter - behind = towards you. So I'm at a loss as to why Audi put theirs where it is and my suspicion is that might be one of the reasons they are going to touch screen? I dunno - but nobody seems to complain about it from what I read.

Now about that heated steering wheel.. cause that is such a deal breaker (I'm serious!)
Old 04-28-2020, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 597 Likes on 429 Posts

The round heated steering wheel is a no charge option. It's rare because almost no one gets it. Everyone gets the flat bottom wheel instead.

The MMI controller is really easy and comfortable to use. When you rest your hand on the shift lever, your fingers naturally fall onto the MMI controls. Audi is probably moving towards touch screen control since so many people use CarPlay or Android Auto which were both designed for touch screens.

I always use CarPlay in my car and I constantly wish it was a touchscreen.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

How does one get the round steering wheel? I don’t see how that controller is easy to get to. Maybe that’s why the touch screen for the 2020?
In Audis that have the ****, the shifter is basically a nice comfortable wrist rest for when you're using the controller. It's very natural and actually much better than if there was no shifter there.

They moved to the touch screen because most people are used to using touch for electronics now, and because Android Auto and CarPlay are faster to interact with using touch. However, they are also designed for interaction using the ****. I don't mind myself wishing I had touch. The benefit of not using touch, aside from being less distracting like more people say, is also that your screen never gets dirty. The touch screens are fingerprint and glare magnets.

This might seems weird but I actually also prefer how the old screen is physically smaller overall, I think it fits nicer in the interior. When you don't have the map displayed you can just turn it off and it's not in your face at all. A big touchpad closer to the driver is more in your face. The interior with all the nice accents and just the virtual cockpit displayed has a very clean and upscale look, great for OCD people.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 494 Likes on 336 Posts

Alas, in the BMWs, the iDrive falls naturally to where your hand rests - off to the side and behind the shifter - behind = towards you. So I'm at a loss as to why Audi put theirs where it is and my suspicion is that might be one of the reasons they are going to touch screen? I dunno - but nobody seems to complain about it from what I read.

Now about that heated steering wheel.. cause that is such a deal breaker (I'm serious!)
Audi didn't suddenly lose the plot on ergonomics and interior design/quality. As everyone has said, the wide and deep shift lever is specifically designed for resting your palm on it when using your fingers to use the controller. It is both very comfortable and very stable to operate. When you try it, you'll understand it.

As John English mentioned, and your own search confirmed, it will be very difficult to find one with the heated wheel. Dealers are highly unlikely to have ordered inventory stock with this option. However, it isn't a deal breaker. The dealer (or you) can just order the heated wheel and change it over. And the flat bottomed wheel will be easy to sell - someone with an A4/A5 will want an RS badged wheel 😂
Old 04-28-2020, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 2019 RS5 SB with cold weather package. It deletes the flat bottom steering wheel for the round one with heat (AWESOME) and also gives you the heated seats in the back .

I also have not owned an M3/M4 but I rented both heavily before making my purchase to make sure i wanted the Audi. The M4 was a BLAST to drive around Silicon Valley when i was traveling for work but to the consensus of this group, the RS5 is the better daily driver. The M is the better track car, not that the RS is a slouch, but in every day driving i like that it can be smooth and quiet in comfort mode or nasty and aggressive in Dynamic.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default compare the RS5 with the M440i xDrive...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ototype-drive/

The 340i xDrive is already as good as the RS5 in a straight line. The M440i will no doubt be a more nimble car. The only downside is I'll have to wait another year for the M440i Gran Coupe.

Quick Reply: Anyone come from a M3?