Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Anyone get the letter about Service Action 90M3 - Gateway Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Anyone get the letter about Service Action 90M3 - Gateway Control Module

It says "certain 2019 model year Audi vehicles" have a software issue that may cause a "no start condition". I took it in in the last month and they may have done it already but I got a letter anyway.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, I got one. Will take it in sometime when it's convenient. Not sure I want to be one of the first.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I received it also. I think I may bring it in a couple of months from now when I get an oil change.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I received the notice last week for my early 2019 S5 Sportback. Brought it in for the update yesterday and it was done within an hour and a half. Figured I didn't want to risk the car not starting on summer road trips.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I got mine updated yesterday, no problems, took 2 hours or so.

Also got a nice video clip from the service department when it was done explaining what they did

Audi Service Video
Old 06-07-2019, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the letter last week. Took my 2019 S5 Sportback in today and the dealer service department said it should take 90mins, no issue. Just got call that after the software update, the "Check Engine" light came on in the car and the backup camera stopped working. They said they were waiting to hear back from Audi on the problem because they had not seen this happen with any of the other updates they've done. Car is 2 months old and 2500mi. Starting to doubt whether I should have been so proactive to get this fixed--I wasn't having any of the symptoms described in the letter. Will keep group posted.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

After the software update the car lost the seat and mirror position memory connection to fob 2. That is, you could press 2 on the door and get the right positions, but it would not happen automatically from the car just sensing the fob. All fob 1 functions, and all other fob 2 functions were OK.

Fix is to press Set and 2 on the door, get a tone, then lock the door, as described in the manual for initially setting this stuff.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: they resolved the issue same day. Turns out the Tech opened the door of the car before disconnecting the OBD cable and it threw the update off. Not sure if that’s true or not, but service advisor said they simple re-performed the procedure and everything took the second time around. No further issues.

Trivia point: service advisor said this update impacted the “core” of 94 computers that now comprise this car’s systems. Would love to see if that 94 number is factual or not.

Originally Posted by davkid81
I received the letter last week. Took my 2019 S5 Sportback in today and the dealer service department said it should take 90mins, no issue. Just got call that after the software update, the "Check Engine" light came on in the car and the backup camera stopped working. They said they were waiting to hear back from Audi on the problem because they had not seen this happen with any of the other updates they've done. Car is 2 months old and 2500mi. Starting to doubt whether I should have been so proactive to get this fixed--I wasn't having any of the symptoms described in the letter. Will keep group posted.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this happen to me as well. Brand new 2021 Q5. My kids were in backseat and spilled literally half a cup of water over the cup holders. About 5 mins later the whole car lit up like a Christmas tree; every warning/error message appears. Car shut off completely, windows rolled down. Suddenly I was sitting dead on the road and car won't start, won't move. I was absolutely shocked. Thankfully we we'ren't on a busy street and so waiting for the tow truck for 2 hours wasn't an issue.

A day later, Audi contacts me and says because the damage was done by water spilling, it won't be covered under Audi Care or the Warranty, but it would under my own insurance. I was lucky enough to come across this blog and read through some other posts. I contacted the dealer and said that I was reporting the design defect to Transport Canada recall unit. Within minutes the dealer contacted me back and said they just spoke wtih Audi Canada and that Audi would cover the cost of the replacement no questions asked.

That was reassuring, but I am honestly looking for a solution to this problem rather than a free fix. I still reported it to transport Canada. I will report back here what I find out from them, if anything.

Audi dealer mentioned that Audi Canada is looking for a solution/fix but there is nothing yet definite.

Wow, common sense, Audi - recall the vehicle and get it fixed before we all take you to court! Heaven sakes, if that breakdown happened on a busy highway, there is no telling what could have happened to me and my family

Old 08-31-2021, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by davkid81
Trivia point: service advisor said this update impacted the “core” of 94 computers that now comprise this car’s systems. Would love to see if that 94 number is factual or not.
Topology layout of the 8W only shows 88 networked control modules. Few more for the cabriolet. But I guess if you count each of the climate flap control motors individually, then it's in the triple digits.

Quick Reply: Anyone get the letter about Service Action 90M3 - Gateway Control Module