Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Apple CarPlay Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay Question

Hi folks,

Been enjoying my A5 Sportback for a couple of weeks, but identified a pretty annoying issue about CarPlay:

Say I enter the car, start the car, plug in and connect the CarPlay, the MMI displays my phone's interface, all good. Now I start backing out, MMI switches to camera, and once I finish backing out and start driving, MMI switches back to main menu, not CarPlay! To make it worse, when I try to hit the CarPay option from the main menu, the display flicks but won't enter the CarPlay interface. I have to either re-plug my phone or re-connect in connection manager.

Anyone has similar situation? Or any thoughts? Pretty minor, but it's annoying because you want to set everything up and drive, instead of having to set it up again after you are on the road already.

Hope it makes sense. Thanks a lot folks.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:20 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, I get that intermittently and it started about 3 wks ago (I've had the A5 since June).

It happens roughly 1 out of 4 times, but it does happen.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve had my car since late April and no issues...until about 2 weeks ago this same thing started. Not sure if it was an IOS update or what.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

hmm....you are luckier than me haha. ever since I noticed that, i've had it happen every single time....don't know which one, Audi or Apple, can fix it.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by laakness
I’ve had my car since late April and no issues...until about 2 weeks ago this same thing started. Not sure if it was an IOS update or what.
good to know! It would be a lot easier if the issue comes from Apple, and they hopefully can fix it on their upcoming updates. Thanks for chiming in with the info!
Old 01-06-2018, 03:52 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Now that you mention it, it did start after one of the recent iOS updates...

Last edited by N8!; 01-06-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I use Android Auto every day multiple times and if on the AA screen and rear camera engages it goes back to the AA screen. I'm assuming it should work the same way with Car play. Doesn't make sense for it to go to main menu.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
I use Android Auto every day multiple times and if on the AA screen and rear camera engages it goes back to the AA screen. I'm assuming it should work the same way with Car play. Doesn't make sense for it to go to main menu.
Exactly. But from the comments above looks like it's more of an Apple issue, and your Android working just fine shows that Audi MMI is not to blame. I guess I will just wait for Apple to fix it then.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Momenting
Exactly. But from the comments above looks like it's more of an Apple issue, and your Android working just fine shows that Audi MMI is not to blame. I guess I will just wait for Apple to fix it then.
It must be the new Apple battery saver, or slow downer, feature that is interfering. hahahahaha
Just kidding.
You might check out a few apple forums and see if others are claiming the same issue from other auto manufacturers. Don't let Apple off that easy and wait, make them aware that they have an issue.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I can attest that Android Auto works fine as well. I think the auto-switching function was somehow tied to the headphone jack

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay Question